TFA List: Worthwhile Takara Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by masishadow, Jun 7, 2011.

1. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been wanting to finish out my Animated collection, but I have solely Hasbro releases. I'm going to start getting the JP ones, Blackout, Wingblade Op, and the exclusives like Black Prime and Elite guard prime. Just wondering if there are any good Takara paint jobs that are worth having. (not just minor detail changes)

I have not found a good list of compiled comparison shots and was wondering if I could be directed towards one / pointed to a few chars.

Thanks!

2. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    Blackout is Lugnut with none of the charm.

Completists only. If it were released,even say as a TRU exclusive, i honestly believe it would be gathering dust.

3. Cal

Cal Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wingblade Ops is an absolute must. I wrote why here.

4. xion14

xion14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Get Blackout first. Best small big guy Voyager.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Blackout and wingblade are must get, I highly recomomend elite guard prowl (feels like his ghost to me) I also bought activators skywarp to have the og 3 in that size class at least

Hydrodive BB is garbage

6. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hydrodrive Bumblebee is a must if you like the character. Best figure of him by far.

7. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Blackout is a neat-looking figure with minimal metallic paint, so it fits in fine with a non-Japanese Animated collection. The disc-launcher tail is just a big block that is ugly and close to worthless for robot mode, and the arm articulation is criminally poorly designed. (also he's a "short big guy", like Lugnut and Bulkhead)

Wingblade Prime is fine, and the wing parts work on any other Voyager (Deluxe Earth Prime too, if you do a little modding). It's worth depends on how much you feel like paying for the translucent Voyager Optimus with it.

I really like Hydrodive/jetpack Bumblebee. The robot size works well with the Voyager Op/Leader Bulkhead/Deluxe Ratchet and Prowl toys, and the transformation is pretty simple and elegant. The articulation is a little funny, as is the car mode, and of course there's the gold paint (I rationalize it by thinking if anyone went for the bling, Bumblebee would) The big Actionmaster vehicle accessory is kind of a loss too, so it's another case of determining your value for money.

I like them all, in their own way.

8. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    I really like Blackout, despite the totally fair criticisms everyone's already mentioned.

9. shadow panther

shadow panther Mechanically Insane

News Credits:
    Wingblade Prime is awesome a must
    Hydro BB is a awesome mold but sadly the paintjob dont fit in well with US Animated
    Blackout is also nice
    Activators Soundblaster
    Activators Skywarp (i swapped the purple head and nosecone with a junker screamers)
    Activators Ramjet

10. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

As pricey as he is, Activators Ramjet is an awesome little figure. His deco is really striking, and hey, it's the only toy out there of that particular Starscream clone.

11. binglesbot

binglesbot Well-Known Member

As others have said, Blackout and Wingblade Prime are a must get. But as far as paintjobs go, Takara's Voyager Skywarp's is pretty sharp lookin'.

12. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So pretty much, it's just best to stick with hasbro except takara exclusives/not released in us and not worry about the shiny painted rest? I've only looked at a couple of em, but the shiny bulkhead especially shouted sore thumb at me.

Is the Optimus prime that comes as a family mart prize (in the matte finish) the same as US prime?