Digibash: TFA Cyclonus concept

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by SMOG, Mar 31, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Okay, pretty obvious.

I just got my TFA Starscream today from somewhere in China, and I'm feeling proud of myself because I scored it for what retail will be when it's finally released here months from now. :) 

Anyway, I really like him, but right from the beginning I saw a potential for a Cyclonus bash. So after fiddling around with him for a while, I broke out some modelling clay and an old Hero Megs head, and decided to give it a try just for fun.

I tweaked the colours in photoshop... just wondering what scheme would fit best. Given that the Unicron gang was always depicted with sort of a different design style than normal TFs, I figure this TFA Starscream can work for Cyclonus... even down to his "talons". The main structural thing I might change are the upper arms. There's something about them that just doesn't quite look right for a non-animated TF, but I think the rest passes.

Oh, and I know his legs are slightly mistransformed. I just kind of like them that way because it gives him that anime-style swept-back knee look.

zmog

Attached Files:

2. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    He looks cool, I must add him to the list of TFA customs to do list. I like the legs like that to, they look like the legs I use in the Mech game Armored Core.

3. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Whoa, smog thats impressive. I thought TFA's Starscream had something familiar to his design, but I couldn't recall it. So kudos to you, man. If you decide to do it, well I'm behind you 100%.

4. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

Yeah, that is good idea for Cyclonus, it fits him well. Great idea. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

5. shade 0066

shade 0066 Live Fast, Drive Faster!

Thats pretty sweet, but can you still transform him with the custom head?

6. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    is there room for the head like that?

7. SMOG

LOL! No, the head probably would not fit... but this is just the beginning. I'd have to figure out a way to get that head in there.

*revs Dremel*

:) 

zmog

8. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    ok, I didn't think there was, but not having the toy, I had to ask!

9. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    That is definitely spiffy. The only head remold I had in mind for this guy was for a TFA Jetfire. ^^;

10. SMOG

Upon closer examination, it's looking like that head could fit, by cutting off just a couple of tabs around the neck area, and probably rigging Cyclonus' "ears" so they can fold back. I think the transformation will work with a bit of fiddling.

I'm just undecided about whether to start this soon (or at least toss it on top of my huge backlog of unfinished bashes), or wait until I can get a second Starscream when TFA is widely released.

zmog

11. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus #MoreSawBoss

News Credits:
    Thank you for doing a proof-of-concept for a project I was contemplating too ;) 

I was starting to think it wouldn't work, but now seeing your rough-up I'm back to thinking maybe it would.

D/L

12. Rijie78

Rijie78 Vinyl junkie.

News Credits:
    That's actually very cool. When the first pics were shown I thought Animated Screamer would make a good Jetfire (with a bit of a face mod and the necessary repaint) but i hadn't considered a Cyclonus mod. Props for originality, look forward to seeing one done! Best of luck with sorting out the head transformation stuff :) 

13. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    That is sooooo cool looking Zmog....man, I am diggin these animated digi's/ideas that you keep coming up with :thumb 

14. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

That's very cool. I'll probably be skipping on most of the Animated range, partially through lack of money, and partially because the aesthetics don't really fit in with most of my later figs, but from the start I knew that with a headswap and a couple of tweaks, that Starscream was gonna be a cool mould. I had no idea who he's fit in as, but I think you may have just answered my question... :p 

15. SMOG

Thanks guys!

I'm with you on the Animated line... I'll be skipping a number of the figures just because the TFA style doesn't completely mesh well with the rest of my TFs. I like them, but in the interests of keeping my toy collecting relatively focused (and affordable!), I'll be sticking to the figures that really grab me.

So far it's kind of interesting how the Animated look can lend itself well to the rounded forms and style of some of the old 1986 movie characters. I wonder if we'll get good Blurr or Springer kitbash fodder out of the line... or even a definitive G1-style Arcee? I must say, I liked the use of black in the TFA version of Arcee... I hope we see a toy for her.

zmog