2D Artwork: TFA Constructicon Hook

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by BB Shockwave, Jun 26, 2011.

1. BB Shockwave

BB Shockwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here is my third TFA Constructicon redesign, the snobbish architect/engineer, Hook!
    For TFA Bonecrusher and Long Haul, check the links!

[​IMG]

Personality-wise, Hook is like he was in G1 - aloof, precise, and utterly convinced of his own superiority. With a good reason, as he is indeed a very skilled architect and is good at surgery too, but his condescending manner doesn't make him popular, not that he'd hang out with the 'blue-collar' workers like Mixmaster or Long Haul. He respects Dirt Boss and his ambitious plans, and is perhaps the only one on the team who is not in the slightest intimidated by the short 'union boss', figuring he is too valuable for the team to be bullied.

Here I had an easier job, considering I knew what the alt. mode would be - we have seen a constructicon-colored crane in the episode "Rise of the Constructicons" (vehicle mode art is a scan from the Transformers Animated Almanac, 'cause... I was lazy to draw it). I wanted to reserve some of the traditional G1 Hook elements - the boxy helmet, the uneven-sized legs, but I also wanted to portray him as an architect. I must admit, some of his design elements (his face/glasses and the tie) are based on my father, who is also an architect. ;)  The 'pencil behind the ear' idea came from the fact how G1 Devastator has a rocket next to his head, and well, because you will never see an architect without a pocket full of pencils.

Hook has two 'special powers' (as all Animated TFs have some). Firstly, his crane's hook can svivel and (swiss army knife-way) give place to an arc velder he uses for either surgery or to veld beams into place.
    His second power is his 'pencil', which is actually a holografic scanner-emitter... Hook can not only scan buildings or Transformers with it like with a CT/X-ray scanner, but the data is transferred to his brain module and he can make design changes, and then project a 3-D hologram image of the design for the 'lowly worker grunts ' (read: his fellow Constructicons) to show them the blueprints to follow. :) 

Transformation was thought-out to be possible, as with all my designs. The grey underchassis of the crane forms the torso, the right side of the upper chassis are the two legs, linked together. The cabin flips down and slides to the left to form the chest and the head is hidden inside. The two treads become the arms, while the whole crane appendage folds in two and rests on his left shoulder.

Attached Files:

2. Da_Razorsaw

Da_Razorsaw Highwire ownz j00

News Credits:
    It's not bad, but it feels more like a Prime-esque design than an animated one.

3. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

I think this is actually the most Animated one out of the bunch!
    Comments: Love the design, its very characeteristic, and has humor. The idea of the pen over the ear, and the tie are beyond a doubt genius (also the goatee : D)!
    Critiques: I believe the chest opens a bit too much (aka crunch it a bit), the upper legs need a more refined shape (ala Blackout [maybe? its hard to describe legs]), and the feet seem a bit too boxy, just round out the corners and you are peachy-keen!

Still, this is amazing, i love the stance, the carefree look, the transformation is also cool!

4. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks!

As the feet are formed from the big left-side engine block, it kinda limits what I can 'pull out' of it... But I'll think of something. I also wanted to preserve the usual 'soccer shoes' feet, but again, lack of space to hide it.

5. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love the pen and tie...he just needs a pocket protector and he's a TF nerd! :D 

Very nice job..and I do get an animated feel for him not TFP. :thumb 

6. axl6533

axl6533 Anarchy Is Your Freedom

man this is awesome he does have a tf prime feeling i wish for a toy of him

7. ErbFan28

ErbFan28 Go Dennis Erb Jr. #28!!!

News Credits:
    Nice

8. Exodus Primal

Exodus Primal Crank-Bot

That's nice, You should do more! I really get a G1 feel from it which brings back so many memories from the 80's.

9. Christiankid7

Christiankid7 Christianbot

Thats is incredible, but he has no faction symbol, unless is it on his back?

10. Gammagoon494

Gammagoon494 GammaGoon494

I love it!!!!! More!!!!!! Do more!!!!!! And devastator!!!!!!!!

11. TedimusPrime

TedimusPrime Well-Known Member

Love it!

12. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You are right, I missed that! Well, let's assume it's on his back, for now... :) 

Thanks! Only two more Constructicons to go, then I'll do Devy too!

13. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

Sweet! Lovin' the tie. I took a look at your other two TFA Constructicons, they're pretty good as well. However...

Two? You've done three of them (Hook, Long Haul and Bonecrusher), two already exist in Animated (Mixmaster and Scrapper - three if you wanna include Dirt Boss), so that leaves Scavenger...where're you getting "two more" from? This confuzzles me! Also, you got a dA account?

14. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    Sweet! :D 

15. BB Shockwave

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yes, here it is: https://bb-shockwave.deviantart.com/

And you are correct with the list. However, since Animated Scrapper is essentially - in both alt mode, looks, and personality - G1 Scavenger, that leaves no-one for G1 Scrapper's position. So in Animated, the names are swapped, and he is Animated Scavenger. I plan him to be a wheeled front loader with a "bend" in the middle. In robot mode, he will have a removeable faceplate, like Optimus (I always found G1 Scrapper to have a face quite similar to Optimus Prime). His special weapons will be dual chainsaws that pop out of the front loader shovel halves, mounted on his arms. Personality-wise, he is the 'heart' of the Constructicons, their foreman if you will - Dirt Boss is the brains, and the driving force, but it is Scavenger who arranges for the details of the work, and also motivates the quite rag-tag band to work together efficiently.

The other guy is a new creation, though not without a precursor - Steamhammer (he was in G1, Energon and lately PCC). He is a giant steamroller, with a hulking robot mode reminiscient of Bulkhead, only a bit larger. His weapons are steamhammers hidden inside the steamroller wheels that become his arms. He is pretty much an "elephant in the chinashop" character who rather likes to just wander around the city marveling at its beauty, but doesn't realise his own size. :) 

Devastator will be composed of, thus:

- Dirt Boss (head)
    - Hook (upper torso)
    - Long Haul (lower torso and upper legs)
    - Scavenger (right leg)
    - Mixmaster (left leg)
    - Scrapper (right arm)
    - Bonecrusher (left arm)
    - Steamhammer (giant two-handed sledgehammer for Devastator to wield).

16. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

^ Oh, I see. That makes sense. Can't wait to see Steamyboy and Scrappenger! Oh, and Devs, of course.