TFA cancellation

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by LesterX, Aug 22, 2011.

1. LesterX

LesterX Banned

Did we ever really get confirmation of why it was cancelled? It was in its prime! Things were just heating up! I didn't realize it wasnt that popular?

2. Idon

Idon Well-Known Member

To make way for Bayformers toys and a new series that Hasbro wanted to start with the HUB.

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Several reasons.

It would taken another year for Season 4 to get made, The Animated toys weren't selling as good as hoped as planned, and Hasbro wanted to create the HUB which would become Cartoon Network's competition.

Also Bayformers......

4. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now see, the folks at Hasbro said that Animated sold just fine...

5. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly. The only ones who said the toys sold poorly are forum members who, as usual, like to make completely unsubstantiated claims stated like so-called facts based on nothing more than their own personal opinions with their main reference point being "well, the stores around MY area....".

But to be fair, there probably is a good chance that Animated sold less compared to the movie & Classics-verse toys which were also all on the shelves simultaneously. Add to that the fact of the toys not showing up in stores until well into Season 2 of the show, the relatively low profile of the show itself, and the whole hoopla surrounding Cartoon Network vs. Hasbro HUB, the line got screwed and probably caught in a lot of crossfire. I wouldn't say it was destined to fail, but I do believe it came out at a wrong time and was horribly mismanaged & marketed. But I too have zero hardcopy facts to back any of that up, so who knows. Just speculating.

6. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I think this is the major reason Animated was canceled. From everything I've heard the toys sold just fine, it seems to be the fans that think that they didnt for some reason.

7. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe one day we'll get a full story about it all. None of the explanations for why it was dropped have satisfied me to this day :/

8. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    All I know for a fact is that we were robbed of at the very least getting the third season on DVD. How in the world does it make sense for either party not to want to release it on DVD, if for no other reason than the fans want it? I can't stand having an incomplete series. To make matters worse, season 3 was the best IMO.

9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Long story short, when the first movie came out Hasbro wasn't sure if it was going to be a hit (like it wasn't going to print money, right?), so they hedged their bets with Animated, hoping that one or the other would be a hit. This is also why "Heroes" (the original name for Animated) looked a lot more like the movie originally and the style changed so they could diversify their lines. Now, Animated did okay, but as we know, the movie was HUGE, and so when the time came around for ROTF, Hasbro decided to put all their eggs in one basket and focus on the movieverse, which from a financial perspective was probably a smart move.

There's probably other things that tied into it, such as the Hub, dealing with CN, etc. but that's the way I heard it.

10. LesterX

LesterX Banned

Ah, I see. It's all about the money. :( 

11. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Hasbro is a for-profit corporation, in one way or another, it is ALWAYS about the money. But that doesn't mean they won't make good stuff.

12. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

money makes the world go around

13. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Animated did fine from what I understand. The problem was not Hasbro so much as the retailers. Wal Mart and the like wanted more Movie toys, they wanted more of the stuff that sold like mad. That's why we got the premium series, the movie line was in such demand that it had to be artificially extended.

That is a large part of what killed Animated on store shelves. Once RotF came along, retailers didn't want to know about Animated any more. Combined with the show getting dropped on Cartoon Network for various reasons, and the line was basically done for. No show, retailers didn't want to carry them, what were Hasbro to do?

We've seen history repeat itself with Reveal the Shield. Happens whenever a movie crops up, it all becomes about the Movie toys, retailers don't care about anything else. It's all about the black ink on the balance sheet to them.

14. modzprime29

modzprime29 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I heard it was cancels not because of bayformers, or "poor"'selling, it was because poor communication between CN and the animation company with season 4 that was already in
    Preproduction, thus making the show end earlier than planned, and releasing the last couple figures produced except blackout and hot shot that was suppose to be released but got canceled because of the cancelation of the show.

15. Chris McFeely

Chris McFeely Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I've said in the past, I don't know if we'll ever truly know exactly what all the different factors which led to Animated ending were, but what I believe we can conclude is that it ended not because it had run its course, or reached a logical finale, made but because various financial and business circumstances required that it be abruptly ended at that time. And after a decade of Transformers shows that simply *did not work this way* - a decade of shows that operated on pre-planned lengths that were designed to be finite to make way for what came next - it was not a pleasant way to see it go.

16. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It is basically the reverse of Prime. Animated gets fucked because of Bayformers. Prime Toys don't get released until season 2 because of Bayformers.

17. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Animated figures got a late release as well, due to movie releases. They were already finished the first season I believe (or well through it) by the time the first waves hit shelves.

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I would imagine all the major mentioned factors contributed in their own way, though the ratios of which may never be known.

It was obvious that retailers lost any interest in Animated toys once ROTF toys were revealed at the 2009 Toy Fair. Hasbro had press info for 2009 Animated toys then as well (with an Arcee/Electrostatic Soundwave 1st wave of deluxe toys), but scheduled release dates were pushed back and/or cancelled shortly after February. IF Animated had been the originally-intended side-line backing up the ROTF line, Hasbro conceivably might have pushed harder for further episodes of the cartoon or other media, but if there weren't going to be upcoming toys to sell, there was little point to shelling out to help promote what wouldn't be there (and the HUB, and blah, and blah).

It's my belief that Animated sold fine as Hasbro said, but also that the goalposts were moved by the runaway financial success of the movie and its toys. Animated may have been an "Energon" or "Cybertron"-level success, when Hasbro and the retailers are looking more toward movie levels of success.

(mostly speculation and educated guesses, mind.)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  19. LesterX

LesterX Banned

Well, what are our chances of IDW continuing the series?

20. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm not sure what to think about Animated. I loved it dearly, but the toys didn't sell well at all. A lot of old figure overstocks and hard to find new figures made it a real pain in the ass to get the new figures. I ended up having to order a large number of them from BBTS and other 'net retailers.

The show was fantastic, but I heard the ratings weren't all that great by the end, but then I heard it was one of the biggest premieres for the network and cable, ever.

The toys were fantastic, but they polarized the fandom and sold out immediately when released, then didn't sell at all and kept overstocking and getting newer figures was nerve wracking. They didn't sell well around me, and plenty went to clearance in heaps.

Plus the figures we were promised, were canceled. Not officially, I know, but so many years of "We intend" "We plan" "We hope" ends up being "Oh, we were going to get to those, but we're moving on."

Certainly doesn't sound like it was a massive hit. A moderate hit at one point, but not what they claimed. I mean, if it was, they'd have fought for it tooth and nail, like they have the movie lines and CHUG series.

I dunno. Either way, I'm glad to have had them and I do miss them, but it's over and there's nothing we can do now.