TF4 on another planet

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by knoted, Jul 16, 2011.

?

TF4 on another planet

1. Yes, another ( colony ) planet

26.7%
  2. No, stick to Earth

73.3%
  1. knoted

knoted Resistor Transistor

News Credits:
    Imo,

TF4 should play out on another planet 20 to 30 years in the future from DOTM's timeline. Not on Earth.

This would be a colony planet which happens to share a handful of similarities to Earth and it's now housing a totally new cast of Autobots & humans.

I think this new planet scenario will be a chance for totally new & creative ways of character interaction & development, since we're not bound to the restriction of Earth's physics and laws anymore.

Who's for another planet scenario too ?

2. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

No, this would be stupid. There would be no reason for them to turn into their Earth vehicles if they weren't on Earth.

3. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

if it was say cybertron, im all up for it, but a Space Colony is taking it too far...

plus, the Robots have not blown up enough cities on Earth: Sydney, Miami, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris, Italy, Jerusalem, the entire state of Hawaii, all of North Korea

4. knoted

News Credits:
    Who says they don't need means of transportation on another planet ?

They use little cars on the moon too, right ? besides, I said the planet could share some similarities to Earth ; might as well bring & adopt Earth form vehicles there, since humans
    will create habitat cities there too.

Besides.... I think the storyline of Optimus Prime defending Earth is dead & beaten by now :horse:  .

Get something new and fresh : the new colony planet might be FULL of resources
    to create the best Energon yet and for substitution of Earth's dwindling fossil fuels. There ! I think that's a great reason to goto another planet.

5. OrionsBelt

Why is it a dead end for Optimus to protect Earth when he pretty much stated in the comics/novels and hinted in the movies that it is his new home, and that he does not want the same fate that happened to Cybertron to be fall on Earth?

6. knoted

News Credits:
    Because we just had 3 movies already about it...since 2007...

I think it'll be way more fresh to the audience to see a brand new setting/scenario on another planet ; sure it CAN refer to Optimus Prime on Earth and the TF4 cast might even have occassional contact with Prime and the humans on Earth... but it would open up a huge gateway to new creativity on a colony planet. Can't the Optimus have a bit of a peaceful breather for a while ? See how his character develops as a political leader, as observed from another planet ; a more objective view on Prime's character.

Like I said ; dwindling Earth resources and new & better raw fuels on that colony planet is a great scenario start imo.

7. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I'm sorry but I just don't like the idea.

Part of what has worked so well with the film series so far is that you could leave the theater and feel like any car in the parking lot or any of the cars on the way home could be an Autobot or Decepticon. As insane as the idea of transforming robots from another planet is with real world cars in a real world modern setting you can almost feel like it could happen.

Plus when the robots are in a familiar setting you can get a feeling of scale that you normally would not get from some place alien or barren. City fights had a nice feeling of scale, but Egypt sort of lacked that feeling of scale.

Ha ha, the films have already been doing that with the way the weight of the robots changes to meet a scene in the film or Sam could out run an explosion.

8. DK Prime

DK Prime Crazy Dane

This.

Earth is connected to Tf in all continuities.

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I voted for Earth although, I would be interested in space travel.

10. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    sure if the colony world was athena, like from Headmasters. they could throw in some flashbacks to why they went there, i like the energon idea too, could be interesting plot device. hmm could use ultra magnus as leader and have him give matrix to hot rod and have him become rodimus prime. and even feature galvatron.

11. knoted

News Credits:
    You have no imagination.

Who said the colony habitat can't resemble Earth's cities & transportation a bit ? Is it THAT hard to extrapolate such a scenario with various plot and screenplay advantages ?

Another point for another planet scenario is the fact, it'll permit the plot to NOT be about Prime's guilt of bringing this war to Earth. What ? You want TF4 to be in yet another big USA city with the population angry at the Autobots yet again ?

The colony planet scenario finally permits both Autobots and humans to be on equal foot since they'll both be colonists.

12. qwerty

qwerty Well-Known Member

Cybertron has 2 moons...they can blow those places up first before going to blow shit up on Cybretron itself again...

13. Fitch

Fitch Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Earth, Cybertron cameo.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

If the colony looked like Earth cities and the transportation we are used here on Earth then the film might as well be set on Earth. Space movies are more about buildings or ways of getting around that we can only imagine.

Plus maybe it's just me but I don't feel like Prime defending Earth really gets old. Superman was from Krypton and he protects the Earth so it doesn't seem all that odd that Prime would protect his new home. Cartoons have ran for seasons about Prime protecting the Earth so it doesn't feel that worn out after just 3 films.

15. OrionsBelt

With all of the cities and countries that can be destroyed yet, yeah, the mayhem on Earth hasn't even begun yet.

16. knoted

News Credits:
    Try to read inbetween lines.

It can be similar, but not exactly like Earth. Afteral, if it wasn't inhabitable for either humans or tf's...the scenario wouldn't make much sense.

Why so quick with dismissal of several potential advantages for the plot & stylistic creativity ? :

- A new take on Prime, with a new different narrative perspective, as he leads the Autobots on Earth in relative 'peace time'. Basically similar to the narrative shift from Sherlock Holmes to Watson.

- Setting humans and transformers one equal footing as a wholesome cast : for the reason they're now both colonists to this new planet. It permits a refreshing view on both humans and tf's from this new perspective.

- A new theme, a new scenario other than to protect Earth at devouring cost. Earth's fossil fuels are coming to and end, and the scenario on this new planet is all about looking forward, thinking about the future of both species and building something new with newfound resources. Will the colonist Autobots & Humans prosper or will they forget where they came from ? Will Optimus and the remaining humans on Earth feel abandoned as Earth's state of resources is declining ?

- Above mentioned is of course interesting for Decepticon forces. Heck, every faction involved might be written in such a way that each of them see eachother in a new perspective. This might really open up a possibility to put a twist to how these factions relate to eachother.

17. OrionsBelt

This might work in a TV show or comic book story arc, but I think it's too soon to go into this whole other planet thing with the movies. It would alienate too many of the viewers.

18. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I'd like the colonies....I loved the Cybertron series so Planet hopping is A O-K with me.

Besides i'm kinda bored with Earth cities getting blown up.

19. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Too expensive to set it entirely on another planet. Saying that, I would like to have something going on on another planet. Either Cybertron or somewhere else. But the main events would almost certainly happen on Earth.

20. knoted

News Credits:
    There could be enough places on Earth which look 'alien' enough ; especially with some matte paintings & SFX.