TF3 Not In 3D

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by iwasherenotyou, Sep 9, 2010.

1. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
  2. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I find that very, very hard to believe. Why start filming in 3D, and then ditch it? Doesn't make a lick of sense.

3. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that source is complete bullshit. It claims that Bay ditched it when started to film in Chicago....we've seen the Camera beeing used in several scenes in Chicago..even some of the late shoots like Sam being whipped arround with the cable tied to his hand....i smell bogus.

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Well, in any case it still doesn't sound like the rush job a lot of films have been. Issuing the order to post-production convert a month ago (10 months before release) rather than 2 months before means the 3D will probably be be better than Clash of the Titans or Last Airbender were.

5. weeezl

weeezl Well-Known Member

That sounds kinda dumb to me... Why would he stop shooting in 3D when all earlier reports said M Bay was using 3D cameras and it was'nt slowing down his shooting one little bit. 3D movies are big business right now and I'm guessing it might cost even more to convert to 3D so I'm calling this BS...however, how much of the movie is practical 3D and how much is converted remains to be seen. That said, does anyone know if its crazy expensive to do 3D CGI... I'm curious?

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    I call bullshit.

But I can't see with the 3D galsses anyway so I don't really care.

7. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

WTF? So half the movie's going to have awesome, crisp CGI, and the rest is crappy "converted stuff"? I find that hard to believe. If it skips around, people WILL notice.

8. Jadryx

Jadryx Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think either way I'll be watching it in good ol' 2D.

9. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's not true at all. One of Michael Bay's friends is friends with my brother's friend's friend's brother, and he said that the visuals in TF3 are going to be claymation, which is gonna SUCK. :mad 

10. Blitzving

Blitzving Has issues...

good. 3D is such a stupid fad

11. jamjam101

jamjam101 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  12. weeezl

weeezl Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, is it cause you have one stonger eye than the other?

If have a weak and when I'm tired a really lazy left eye so I can't see 3D properly. 3D gives me a headache and looks blurry to me.

13. Orbital

Orbital Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This makes no sense. They've shot scenes exclusively in the format(and most likely only in that format for those scenes), they've officially said so, and we've seen it from youtube videos too. Those camera's use specific film to shoot in 3D. So from what this site is telling us, their taking rolls of film negatives, that are already shot in 3D, all they need to do is combine the negatives in post to produce the 3D picture but instead they're reconverting it into 3D with those rubbish post production conversion programs which are designed to converted regular film or digitally shot material in 3D...wheres the logic in this.

14. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Either way I don't really care. I'll probably see it no more than twice in 3D if it's shown in that format no matter what the shooting style ends up being.

15. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

Uhhhh.... hmmmm. The author says his proof is that while visiting the Chicago set, he didn't spot any 3D cameras. It's very possible that some of the more CG intensive scenes will be shot with 2D elements and made 3D in post, and the blogger just happened to walk by when they were shooting backgrounds. I mean, if Bay shoots a scene where a robot transforms full frame and blows something up, it would involve MORE work to try and integrate the 3D character into an already shot 3D plate, especially if he plans to move the camera in post.

Think about that shot in TF1 where Prime shows up to the city battle. He powerslides through the trash-cans, changes to a 3D model, and the camera spins around his body as he transforms. The digital artists didn't superimpose the Prime model onto an already shot 2D plate where the camera was panning around, blankly. They stitched together a big cityscape panoramic image made up of various static shots, superimposed Prime in front of it, and made all those wacky camera moves in the software.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a lot of completely CG 3D Avatar-like scenes.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  16. Doug

Doug Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    First we hear the movie will be shot in 3-D and now they are saying it will not.

I wish they could make up their minds.

17. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

18. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Sounds like more reasons for me to stick with my plan of only seeing it in 2D if the reviews say it's not another Revenge of the Fallen. The converted stuff I've seen just ended up being a distraction instead of immersing me in the film.

Bad enough having to cough up extra for good 3D on films I really want to see. Not to crazy about the extra ticket cost on films I might not like in horrible converted 3D.

19. SilverOptimus

SilverOptimus Movie News Monster Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
  20. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Regardless of what Michael Bay says, the article is accurate. While they may have some 3D camera rigs that they're using for certain scenes, the majority of cameras we've seen in the Chicago shoot that were close enough to identify have not been 3D.