TF2 Toys, what will they do for old characters?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Optimus Prime, Jan 19, 2008.

1. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What are they going to do for toys of Optimus, Bumblebee, Ratchet, Ironhide, and Starscream, when the second movie comes out? Just re-release the original toys? I can't imagine them doing anything different for said characters than what they have now.

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I'm thinking that for at least Starscream, they'll be re-enginearing the toys to make them more screan-accurate. Depending on how important he is in the plot of the sequel, I can see Starscream getting a Leader class figure for it. As for the others, not really sure, but I can see some just being re-releases of their previous toys. As the sequel isn't coming out till about mid way threw 2009 (at the earliest), I think it'll be quite some time before we start getting any info about the toy line for it, let alone the actual movie.

3. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They'll probably start with the original forms for the first 15 minutes of the movie, then create a situation where they have to find new forms to change to in order to remain in disguise from the decepticons some how. For example, Starscream could start targetting them while in vehicle mode. Plus, it wouldn't have to happen to every character that way to cause a change, they could just have it happen to 1 autobot, and then prime tells them to change their vehicle modes as a precaution. At the same time, for the decepticons, there aren't really any that would need to be changed, as most are either dead or would likely have changed their form due to the extensive repairs required for them to live. The only one who wouldn't be easily explainable would be barricade, since you never see him take extensive damage.

In this way, they can plausibly explain why they need new forms (and hence new toys), while keeping the old forms in the movie at the same time. That way they can re-release the current movie toys as transformers 2 toys, but as 'original' modes much in the way they had 2 forms for bumblbee.

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

It's a good question, and one I've been mulling over myself.

On the one hand, keeping their present forms would surely reduce the cost of making the new movie. They still have the vehicles built/modified for the first film (I assume) and all the CGI work for those characters. Furthermore, I expect that GM would very much appreciate the continued marketing that the movie provided for the Topkick, H2, and Camaro.

On the other hand, keeping their present forms would make it more difficult for Hasbro to sell more toys. I think Hasbro would want new forms. Surely the new characters (and Bay has indicated there will be a good number of them) will help matters, but it'd be easier for Hasbro to sell a new Optimus Prime or Bumblebee to kids if the parents couldn't say "you already have that toy!"

5. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

Tthey should just release new, better molds (though it will be hard to improve on Leader Prime and 08 Bumblebee). Starscream could really use some fixing, same for Ironhide.

I just hope they don't change the surviving characters completely. It would suck if Prime, Starscream and the others looked completely different in every movie.

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    What did they do for old characters when the next Star Wars movie came out?
    They made new molds!
    I'm sure Hasbro might re-use some of the TF1 toys in the TF2 line, but main movie characters that're recurring will probably get new molds, who knows how accurate they can engineer these things to be come 2009ish?
    DN

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This could go either way--cost of new CGI vs benefit of new toys.

Either way, fans win.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    Leader Prime is damn near perfect, but 08 BB could stand to be yellow rather than orange. Ironhide needs chest stability and Starscream needs hands... Other than that, I think I'd be fine with reissues (maybe with color variations or the Premium incarnations again) as the "toys" for the 2nd movie. It won't be good marketing for them to do that, so I'd guess new molds.

9. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I thought one of the whole reasons that they DID greenlight the sequel so early was that they already had a few million dollars invested in CGI models? I swear this is in print in some interview somewhere.

Using some of the same models would be a huge boost to the budget, speed, and the ability to have new characters.

On the other hand, they will make new toys with new sculpts but they will still look the same. I mean, it didn't stop them for all the Spiderman movies :p 

10. bumblebee15

bumblebee15 Autobot

Great Question!!! Ok we know and love the 07 molds- why not use the old molds but change up the weapons on the characters- give bumble bee the armor head mold, and tweak them and then of course who else will join our crew in the next movie!!???!!!

11. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

With Prime in particular, I see a lot of problems in coming up with a completely new mold--or even a new vehicle.

Besides the issues that many fans had in accepting a change from his classic look, Paramount as said they want to build this film franchise. I can't imagine that changing the look of Prime will help them do that.

12. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    You're absolutely correct. I also read that article, but I forget where it was.

From what I remembered, they WILL NOT be changing any of the original characters from the first film, due entirely to the fact that the models cost so much to make, and making new ones would be a complete waste of time and money.

Keeping the models unchanged brings benefits to:
    1. saving money since the models already exist.
    2. saving time since the models already exist.
    3. having the opportunity to make much more "movie-accurate" toys of the characters from the first film.*
    4. having a better video-game sequel from Activision.*

*On the Hasbro Tour from Botcon 07 AND the Activision Panel, BOTH The Hasbro Transformers Team AND the guys from the Activision Panel told us that during production, communications on Bay's end >to> Hasbro & Activision were terrible. They told us of how they would get artwork and designs very, very late in production.

*The Hasbro Transformers Team told us that they only found out about Prime's bladed weapon the night they actually saw the film (the preview screening). Then Aaron Archer told us the "great" story of how they had to scramble like mad and change all the heads on the Leader and Voyager Megatron figures because his head design was changed 3 months before the film was to premier! They never got around to changing the head on the legends class Megatron, and that is why that figure sports the old head design.

*The guys from the Activision Panel told of how they were begging the movie makers to send them finalized designs since they needed to see the weapons, sizes, and looks of the robots before they could really get things rolling, like figuring out how the robots would move, how fast they would be, and how big they were compared to everything else. They noted that the communications on Bay's end and the delay of resources given to them led to the Transformers game being and feeling so "rushed" and that had they of gotten the resources they needed sooner, then they would have had more time to work on the game and make it better than it finally turned out to be.

13. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I'm thinking re-releases with mold changes to be more movie accurate.

14. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Something similar is happening with the Macross series. In the show/movies, the VF-1 stays pretty consistent in the fiction. However, in the TV show the VF-1s are drawn rather crudely. The Macross movie uses the same VF-1 design, but more detailed. Macross Plus and Macross 7 also had varying looks for the VF-1. But we're supposed to believe it's the same type of plane throughout.

Meanwhile, it seems that just about every Japanese toy company out there has their own version of the VF-1. Most of them transform the same general way, but they are all different molds, and do not have interchangeable parts. EG, if your 1/60 Yamato loses an arm, you can't exactly get the Bandai 1/55 for a replacement part.

If I had to guess, it might happen this way. In the story itself, Optimus' CGI model might get a few updates...he might get an updated face, cosmetic details here and there (think of the Batman costume from Batman and Batman Returns), but he's supposed to be the same "look" of Optimus from the first movie. Meanwhile, I know I certainly would like Hasbro to take another shot at Leader Prime, using an entirely different mold and transformation process.

Think of it like Robot Masters Starscream and Classics Starscream. Same character, same size, same transformation complexity. But different molds.

15. fathi_haziq

fathi_haziq Petrolhead

News Credits:
    My wish is simple. I want Hasbro to make Voyager-size Barricade and Leader-size Starscream!

16. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    Whatever happens Starscream needs hands!

17. prowl007

prowl007 Axisjump

I think there might be minor changes to the looks and transformations, but besides that Im ok with the original forms(excluding some like megs who is trashed).

Though I would like to see more leader/voyager class movie toys coming out.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I'm sure each & every returning character such as the Autobots and possibly Barricade will receive some slight mold, color & articulation revisions, while characters like Starscream will also get the same treatments as well as be made into a larger size class. There's no way Hasbro will just re-release the same figures again since it makes zero sense from a financial standpoint if they expect to sell millions of toys spawned from another blockbuster movie. They'll definitely want Prime & Bumblebee in particular to be "new" all over again.

For as great as some of the original figures already are - Leader Prime, Deluxe '08 Bumblebee, Voyager Ratchet - don't underestimate Hasbro's ability to make them even better and more accurate now that they've had time to flush out the designs.

19. SKowl

SKowl Rubber Golem

I almost convinced Hasbro held off on the Leader-Class Starscream to save it for the sequel, since in all likelyhood he'll be a much more important character with more screen time (it would be difficult to give him LESS screen time...).

20. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They won't change the Autobots look in the next film - they have said there was so much time, effort and money put into Prime alone that there'd need to be 3 films made to justify the work done on him, so I don't see them changing the biggest characters of the film every time a new film comes out. Besides - when else did TF's change modes every new season bar BW?