TF1 as Best Picture.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Poho, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    it was no doubt my favorite film of 2007, but apparently in a poll done around Oscar season in 2008 in which almost two thousand were asked for their choice for best picture, Transformers was the third most common response.

It'd be interesting to see what the same poll next Februray/March would have to say about ROTF, given that it seems fewer people liked it.

2. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There is no way in hell any TF film could get nominated for best picture no matter how many voted for it in an opinion poll. As surely proven with The Dark Knight last year the academy will always choose dramas of touchy subjects over anything related to a comic book or cartoon. It is evident even in technical categories: if the Academy is stubborn enough to have the Golden Compass top TF1 and Benjamin Button top Iron Man and TDK there is no hope for any major category nomination for the genre. That said the style in which the TF films have been made and the virtual uniform critical panning of its director, the movies would never get (or really should be) nominated for anything beyond the tech categories. T
    If anything the poll just further proves how the films are made for audiences without any regard for critical opinion (at least for Bay) and the end result is financially successful.

3. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    obviously you're right, i'm just saying it's interesting to see what real people and real movie-goers think about what a "Best Picture" is. I generally don't disagree with the academy on their choices, but their snubbery of Transformers for the VFX award last February was simply ridiculous .

either way, again, i was just pointing out that a lot of people thought Transformers was the movie of the year, and I am interested to see how ROTF would turn out in a similar poll.

4. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Though my final decision won't come until the Blu-Ray release, for some reason I feel the CGI in TF1 was more realistic. The transformations felt very real and Prime was amazing to look at. I guess in ROTF there were not as many opportunities to just enjoy the beauty of the CGI, Devastator was the main one, as well as the forest fight. The final battle was rather messy.

5. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I bet fewer people liked it also.

6. Schrecken

Schrecken Active Member

So far there haven't been too many fx-heavy films this year, but then again, even a film with the most extensive CGI effects isn't necessarily destined to win an award. Personally, I think TF1 was snubbed because Hollywood, in general, tends to be anti-military, or at least they don't seem to want to do anything to actively support the military. Films that glorify US military might (which are uncommon to begin with), regardless of genre, don't seem to get too far Oscar-wise.

This is the only reason I can think of as to why a film with Discovery Channel grade CGI would win the fx Oscar instead of TF1. It's like comparing the artistry and technical complexity of a child's finger painting with a work of Leonardo Da Vinci, and in that case, the Oscar went to the finger painting.

As for best picture, I don't think either TF film is close to deserving that award. But, if you expect them to give that top honor to any genre film like sci-fi, fantasy, horror, etc - you'll be waiting a long, long time. I pay little attention to the Oscars and other awards, and I don't base my selection of films to view (those that I didn't catch in the theater) on whether or not a specific film has been nominated or awarded.