TF vs Robotech

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by tony77tony77, Mar 11, 2009.

1. tony77tony77

tony77tony77 Well-Known Member

Do you guys think Robotech/Macross have a better back story then TF? My co-worker said they are. I never got into Robotech just seen some series here and there. what do you guys think?

2. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Robotech was a combination of three completely unrelated animes. A such, there are parts where the story gets semicoherant. They also cut out most of Macross's drinking scenes.

That said, the stories in the animes Robotech was made from, were more serious, and more mature, than Transformers' more kid friendly fare. That said, I'll take giant sentient transforming robots over piloted mecha, anyday.

3. Gadep

Gadep Banned

News Credits:
    the robotech robots mecha vs invids i loved...loved the story and depth of characters that they did have....but transformers lately (armada, energon, cybertron , animated) have been dumbed down to short bus stupid....so i would take robotech over TF for story line anyway....

I just got the entire robotech anime off bit torrent...just gotta find the time to watch it all...

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Don't get me wrong - I love Macross. But seeing Zentraedi ships go down like flies gets old, and sentient robots trump piloted ones anyday.

5. chapsy

chapsy Resident Brony

saw robotech on vhs about the same time I saw G1.
    absolutely loved it. It's obviously different from transformers, but it holds it's weight very well.
    I loved the concept of transformable war machines, along with a cohesive story that was easy to follow, and characters that were remarkably cool(I loved Roy as a kid, still do to this day.)
    The acting was really nice for an old anime as well. It was taken pretty seriously in Harmony Gold's hands.
    although some names were changed and certain scenes were edited to be more kid friendly, both shows are the same(well, as far as the first arc goes anyway) and are totally enjoyable.
    It has animation errors, but they're nothing worse than G1 Season 3 in a couple of episodes.
    check it out, you'll like it. I'd check out the robotech first then watch macross.

6. megatronkicksas

megatronkicksas Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Um...no.

7. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

as someone who has spent the past 4 months watching well, not robotech, but the original sdf macross, macross zero, macross plus, and now macross frontier, I feel like I can weigh in here.

both series are good, have characters who are referred to in later series, and have recurring themes. as such, I actually feel that both are about even. here's my basic rundown of both series (and their different shows) in REALLY simplistic terms:

transformers - decepticons travel throughout the galaxy looking for a large source of energy to help them conquer all. they land on earth, disrupting life and being followed by the autobots, who stop them, while saving and being helped by humans.

macross - ancient alien technology is found on earth, and humans use it to develop weapons. alien race is drawn to that technology, but is repelled by a united earth military using high tech weapons and the singing of a pop star who's voice has a debilitating effect on the aliens.

so you can take that as you will. each one will appeal to its own audience.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Apples and Oranges.

They have different purposes, different target age groups, and a different style of storytelling. Both have their better and weaker series to them, both have done things amazingly right, and mind bogglingly wrong. They both have entertaining animated movies. They both have some catchy songs.

However, the series aren't really comparable as a whole. For one, TFs tend to start anew every few years, while Macross tends to be extensions into that singular universe. Macross can create new villains, TFs seem to be perpetually stuck with Decepticons/Predacons. TF shows tend not to be so highly serialized as Macross, which limits their storytelling abilities. Macross focuses highly on the aspects of protoculture and music, sometimes to it's own detriment in terms of pacing. Macross is about humanity, TFs are about Cybertronians.

In the end, the two are too different to really compare.

9. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

Hells yeah!

I did like Robotech back in the day though I missed the drinking and abuse.

10. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Both are 22 minute toy commercials, but I think Bandai was more open-minded than Hasbro by allowing the writers to write a story that makes more sense. We only got such treatment in Beast Wars.

11. omegagoalie

omegagoalie Cybertronian Puckstopper

Ebay:
    Agreed.

12. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

tf then gundam wing!!!

13. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    I love both shows but come on, how does singing destroy an enemy. Why don't they just turn it off.

The last macross I watched, macross frontier was just wacky. "Fold waves" coming out of a girls voice to attract hive mind sentient alien species. That's grasping at straws. Sometimes it pays to do what TF has done and give the story a refresh.

14. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Compare gundam with Robotech, not Gundam with Transformers.

angsty brats in mecha does not compare to sentient bots.

I like robotech, but as said, apples and oranges and to be appreciated for that.

i wish we had a better g1 cartoon in the works, because my nostalgia for the g1 makes me sad to see how much was overlooked.