TF Universe 2.0 Prowl - Paint Problem

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Vachidra, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Vachidra

Vachidra Active Member

Hello, I'm posting here because I'm desperate, like many other people I bought Universe 2.0 Prowl and discovered something odd about the paint on his translucent bits, feels sticky, tacky, etc.

So I tried getting Henkei Prowl.....he has the same problem, I guess Takara doesn't fix everything...then later I got Silverstreak...and HE HAS THE SAME PROBLEM TOO!!! even the unpainted sections on his translucent plastic feels sticky to the touch.

I bought some Testor's clear coat spray paint, but I'm not sure if it's going to work, after the first coat it still feels kinda sticky after a day and a half.

Please, I'm at my wits end here, does anybody know a reliable way to fix this problem permanently?

2. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This has been gone over and over and over and over and over and over. Use the search. Also, if the problem is that prominent, you might have sticky fingers... just a thought.

oh, did I mention that we've been over this?

3. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes just do a search you will find the topic and welcome to the board.

4. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

hey unicronsupreme way to help a fellow out. Im sure it was quicker to post a sarcastic remark than an actual answer, hope you use the extra time well.

Vachidra, I used rustoleum brand crystal clear enamel. Its not made for this, but every plastic clear coat i bought either didnt coat well or reacted with the paint making it worse. But Rustoleum brand crystal clear enamel. I got it by the spray paint at wal mart. It leaves a lil bit of gloss and texture but basically just spray the toy in car mode a couple times and no more sticky paint. Hope that helps, all the best.

• Like Like x 1
  5. unicronsupreme

unicronsupreme Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I posted a perfectly valid solution. Did you actually read my post? I bet the OP would find at least half a dozen useful solutions if they'd use the search.

In all honesty, I didn't see that the topic was from a new user. If I had I'd be a little less sarcastic. I still stand by my answer though. I'm getting tired of seeing the same topics come up day after day because people don't use the search. I wish we had the trout emote here, it would solve a lot of problems.

6. Vachidra

Vachidra Active Member

Thanks, that is helpful, I bought some Testor's clear coat lacquer to try to fix it but I'm a bit out of my element here, I have customized some of my figures for repair or to fix design problems, but I haven't tried painting before, But it's spray paint, how hard can it be to figure out?

Since I have two Prowls, Universe and Henkei I got some leeway to experiment, so I removed one of Prowl's side panels, covered bits like the windows and tabs with painter's tape and sprayed just the side with paint.
    The problem is that it's been a day and a half, so I figured it would be safe to touch it and see if it worked, the door section feels fine, but the parts that go alongside the hood still feel a bit sticky, so I'm not sure if I should wait longer for it to dry or apply a second coat.

Oh and by the way, I'm sorry if this isn't the first thread about this, but like I said, I was desperate. My luck has been terrible with this mold so far, FOUR times this problem has plagued me, Two Universe Prowls, one Henkei Prowl, and now Silverstreak, what would you do? =P

7. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

i feel your pain. I have had to clearcoat prowl silverstreak and ironhide....... its a lil ridiculous..

But that rustoleum stuff can be handled like 45 seconds after spraying. Its awesome

8. Vachidra

Vachidra Active Member

Wait, Ironhide's got it too?!

Well, alright, I'll give the Rustoleum a try if this Testors stuff ends up not working.

Oh yeah, I remembered a similiar problem with my Animated Soundwave, only it's not as bad because it's just on his back and a tiny section on each of his feet.

9. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    neither of my figures had this problem, and im very surprised to hear that ur henkei prowl and silverstreak had the same prob too! yeah this has been posted many times..lol..and welcome to the boads!

10. Bluestreak76

Bluestreak76 Well-Known Member

I actually had this happen to me last night. I was unaware of the paint defects in Prowl and as I was taking it out of the package I left a huge finger print in the paint on his roof. I went to rub the finger print out and rubbed off the paint. Needless to say I returned it to Wal-Mart today but unfortunately they were out of Prowls but had gotten in Acid Storm so I picked that up. When I get around to getting another Prowl and Bluestreak I will try the the Rustoleum stuff.

11. Vachidra

Vachidra Active Member

I tried getting a newer Prowl since people say that they fixed the problem, I got one that looked like the paint was thicker and glossier in the package. I think they might be right, it feels a lot better so I put the side panels on my henkei Prowl...and the siren too, I like the hasbro siren better, so now my Franken-Prowl is pretty good, I'm satisfied.

However the problem is even worse on my Silverstreak, I tried to clean his windshield off a bit so I could give it a layer of clearcoat, and the paint came right off, so now there's a big clear spot in the middle of the windshield, the blue paint on Silverstreak's windows is much worse then my Prowl's paint issues ever were, so I guess I'm going to have to rub the rest of the paint off if I want the whole windshield to match, and I gave his side panels a layer of clear coat.
    Guess it'll be weird to have a Silverstreak with a clear windshield and blue side windows, but oh well...

12. ShadowStitch

ShadowStitch vectoring the hate plague

News Credits:
    I feel your pain. I bought ONE Prowl when they first came out, and the paint was sticky, like it was still wet in the package, like how Enamel never dries properly on Vinyl.... so I took it back, and didn't bother with a replacement. I've looked through dozens of racks of figures, probably picked up and examined over a hundred Prowl toys, and I haven't found a SINGLE ONE yet that even comes CLOSE to looking acceptable. They have such sloppy paint apps... and yet they keep jacking up the price...

Good thing I didnt' shell out for the Henkei Prowl... I thought about it, but I wanted to wait and see if it was gonna be any better than the USA one. I'm a bit disappointed it isn't, but I can't say I'm surprised. My Ironhide also had sticky panels, so did my Animated Soundwave. It's an epidemic of fail over at Hastak right now.

Hey! Remove the blue paint from the side windows too, and you're officially a customizer! :lol 

13. Vachidra

Vachidra Active Member

Hmmm, heh, good point, I finished rubbing the windshield paint off, so it's not sticky anymore, but I already gave his side panels a layer of clearcoat paint....does anyone know how long this stuff takes to dry? It's been like more then two days and it still feels tacky and sticky. Should I spray on another coat? does anyone here know?

14. Shark Jumper

Shark Jumper さあ、お前の罪を数えろ

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    0_O I got the same problems too. This sticky paint problem is effing rediculous. I think I need to go send Hasblow an angry letter now.

15. rizuan76

rizuan76 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Why so rude? the guy's new anyway, just give him a break.

16. Vachidra

Vachidra Active Member

Hey, update, I found a possible solution to the sticky paint issue. I had an idea how to deal with my Silverstreak figure, I actually bought a new one, took the side panels off without touching them so I wouldn't get any finger oil on it, and immediately put on a layer of clearcoat, before it had a chance to become sticky, for some reason they don't feel sticky the first few hours, I have no idea why, so I had the idea to cover it with clearcoat before it had a chance to, and it's working, it's about three to four days later and the part feels just fine.

17. Bluestreak76

Bluestreak76 Well-Known Member

What kind of clear coat did you use? I used the rustoleum crystal clear and it ate through the paint.....so you used?

18. Vachidra

Vachidra Active Member

I used some testors clearcoat lacquer spray paint.

19. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    You guys are making me consider buying some backup copies of some molds here. I haven't had any of those problems (and I got Prowl very early on). If it's a matter of the paint not drying, perhaps me taking it out of the box and basically leaving it alone on my shelf for a week before really playing around with it let it set better.

20. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    That's what appears to have happened with mine. It was also very cold a few months back. After that, I noticed the sticky bits felt dry.

I also tried cleaning them a bit figuring I was dealing with residue rather than unset paint. That didn't help in the short term but maybe worked in the long run?