TF Toy Collecting and Significant Others

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Dex17113, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Prime Evil

Prime Evil Renegade

I was lucky enough to meet my GF at last year's Botcon. She isn't a collector, but her brother is and to her, all this seems normal. She has been nothing but supportive of my hobby and even her mom got me a WFC Cliffjumper for Xmas! I'll be moving in with her probably by next year, which will be a move across country, but she has already said that I can have a room for all my toys.

2. XxGeck0xX

XxGeck0xX デストロン 情報

News Credits:
    I feel really fortunate my girl puts up with me wether it be shopping, or just talking about it. Shes so supportive and it's good to know I'm not alone with this sort of thing, I love being able to talk about a hobby I love with the one I love.

3. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    My girlfriend of many years believes its a constructive hobby and supports it. She bought me a transformer for the first time at Christmas 2009 (target exclusive leo prime) and even got me a few this year for christmas. She doesn't have any issue with what I do.

4. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I started dating my fiance several years ago, I let her know there were several things in my life that I could not live without and one of them was transformers. Not that I needed to tell her that though because she was very cool with it. In fact, just before I moved in with her, she purchased shelving for a room in the house for me for my large collection. Her reasoning was that she didn't want them spread around the house, lol. She knows its a passion of mine and is very supportive and even been to the last 2 botcons with me. She has a horse hobby which I am supportive of so it goes both ways.

In my opinion, your significant other does not have to share yor hobby, but should at least be supportive of it. If not, your relationship may not work out, or you will be very unhappy.

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I have my room..the gf has the other 3 and the kitchen..Seems fair ;) 

6. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

My fiance supports my hobby. She in fact enjoys many of the same things I do, so it makes things alot more fun. She has bought me plenty of toys and collectibles over the years. I do my best to repay that courtesy by doing things she likes as well.

7. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    My wife knows I have them and doesn't really say anything. When I first displayed them in the office, she was like, what are those? Then she just let me have em.

Granted she has no idea how many I have or have been getting. We are going to move soon so the collection is not out in full force. In the new house I will have a basement and the full set will be out. That'll probably suprise her.

The main question is, when is my son going to want to start playing with my collection.

8. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    My wife doesn't mind it at all :)  Granted, she's excited for me to turn my garage into a man room so I can get my drums and Transformers out of the house, but for now she put up with them :lol 

9. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I don't have a gf right now, the last one I had was rather supportive, even when we were no longer together she gave me a Dunkin Donuts promo Bumblebee tumbler and for Christmas the Speedstars Bumblebee track set. :) 

10. Agent-GHQ

Agent-GHQ Accept the unacceptable

Ebay:
    Some chicks are just shallow and may perceived this hobby as an undesirable traits. Probably the higher maintenance chicks with silicone filled boobies that trys so hard to look like that of a tranny off some import model magazine or the likes.

My GF is into guys who are into sports and not into guys who are video gamers. I explain to my GF that sports is a brainless activity anyways compared to things that require the use of brain cells and come up with something unique and brillant.... i.e., Transformers. Personally, I'm more intrigued by science and technology than to waste my Sunday watching sports while their owners pay them handsomely. But anyhow, when she initially saw my collection, her first response is OMG..... you're like the 40yr old virgin ;) 

But I'm glad you found a woman who can appreciates your plastic crack addiction!

11. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :thumb 

:tumbleweed: 

12. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My wife doesn't mind me buying the odd figure here and there, as long as I don't go crazy. She's surprised me with a few toys over the years, too. In fact, our first Christmas married, she got me the 20th Anniversary Optimus figure. She's even gone so far as to say that Megatron is the best because he looks the most powerful.

She can't help but roll her eyes though when I buy a new Optimus.

13. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    mine made me get a second room just for them, and gets me some for special occasions, she occasionally tells me enough of talking about them lol, but i think she spent almost 300 on me on tfs this christmas, so i would say she's supportive

14. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    This is exactly my situation.

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    sports is far from brainless...maybee if you tryed some sports you should realize that.

16. Mastodon

Mastodon Well-Known Member

If buying transformers "requires the use of brain cells" then I am Albert Einstein.

17. Shadow Convoy

Shadow Convoy Stealth Ops Commander

Ebay:
    my girlfriend won't sit down and watch the episodes with me but she'll go toy hunting with/for me. she got me the japanese mp grimlock for my birthday last year, usb ravage for our anniversary, and a couple of toys just becasue :)  the only toy she likes is the Universe dinobot cuz she likes to be cute and go RAWR with it ::shrugs::

18. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

My wife is who got me into collecting Transformers in the first place when she got me 20th Anniversary MP Optimus for my birthday, followed by some Alternators every once in a while. I then went nuts buying figures during the first movie and "classics" and I think that wore her out. She complains about how many I have and how much I've spent on them... but then, she'll buy me a new one (like RTS Jazz and Tracks for Christmas). Also, she complains when I try to sell them, saying I'll be sorry one day.

I think she just likes complaining...:p 

I've really cut back on how much I buy and how much I talk about them and stuff and she's come back around a little bit. Although she wasn't too happy about how much MP Rodimus cost! LOL

19. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I'm single so I have no significant other to worry about. But, when I do have someone this is generally how it plays out.

I eventually show them my collection, once they are over the shock of seeing such a large collection they say how cute it is and blah blah blah, all the sweet stuff.

I break up with them and all of the sudden my toy collecting is childish and I'm this thing or that thing but whatever those things are they never resemble cute anymore.

Moral of the story...WHO CARES WHAT A CHICK THINKS.

Transformers are a part of my life that bring me joy. It is not my life but a mere aspect of who the total me is. As long as my collecting hampers no one and I am not taking money from my significant other then my toy collecting is my business.

To be honest I never like sharing my hobby with anyone let alone a girlfriend. I love the hunt, I enjoy the fact that all my figures where purchased by me aside from a small handfull, and this is my hobby, my interest and my love that I really don;t want my significant other to share with me. All I ask for is acceptance and I would prefer she ignore it all together. THIS IS MINE AND I"M NOT SHARING IT.

I will say this though, I don't talk Transformers much in real life. If I am ever with a girl that buys me a TF that I NEED, she will be the one. But that is because she took the time to learn who I want and who I need. That is special.....as you can see I am still single so it hasn't happened yet lol.

Thanx
    Transbot90210

20. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    I don't know what the conversation is BUT, if you are going to make a comment on a person's intelligence and be snarky about it make sure every other word IS NOT spelled incorrectly. SPELL CHECK AND GRAMMER CHECK ARE YOUR FRIEND.

Just a thought

*edit*But I do agree with you now that I read the thread. I can't understand how anyone can think a sport is brainless. Most sports are more cerebral than physical. Sure being a physical specimen will make you an athlete but all the elites bring a huge mind game with them to the sport. To an untrained eye a MMA match is just two guys hitting one another. To one with insight into the sport you can see how all the great fighters bring more than fighting ability to the octagon, you can see them think through every punch, kick or take down. A good MMA match is more of a chess game than a gladitor sport.