TF storage tips

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by grayfox, Nov 15, 2009.

1. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hey all

like many here, I've got somewhat of a big TF collection (400+). A big part is already in boxes and the rest are on display. Due to lack of space, I have no choice but to store most of what's out on the shelves right now. I have a few questions that I think may benefit all collectors.

I was wondering, for everyone who's got figures (TFs or others) stored, got any tips? I've got a system set up, my boxes are numbered and I have a list so I can easily find a particular figure if I ever need to. Mainly, I'm concerned with moisture and battery leakage.

1. Do you guys think it might be wise or worth it to put some desiccant in the boxes to avoid moisture? The last thing I want is to open my boxes a couple years from now and find my figures have 'brown spots' or whatever damage [from the moisture].

2. Also, what about battery leakage? Do you remove the batteries from the toys before storing them? are you afraid the acid might leak out at some point and damage the toys?

Thanks!

2. jamspeed

jamspeed is so beast!

Ebay:
    I keep all my open box tfs in plastic ziplock bags - to protect from chipping/rubbing mainly but also moisture. If they are stored for a long time taking batteries out is a good idea. I live in Florida btw and have never had problems storing toy for long periods of time.

3. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I use a lot of cardboard boxes sealed with packing tape.

4. BigRC83

BigRC83 I'm singing in the rain

News Credits:
    My stuff is in a (cool-well ventilated) public storage unit. I have them in plastic storage containers and cardboard boxes. Some packaged Tfs are out in the open. There all packed up pretty tightly but there not in danger of being crushed in time (I hope.) The loose ones are wrapped up with bubble wrap but the packed ones are not. I usually store the heaviest stuff on the bottom. So far this had worked three years for me.

5. SC0RP0N0K

SC0RP0N0K Well-Known Member

Take out the batteries for sure. Other than that get some rubbermaid storage boxes. I guess the dessicant couldn't hurt, and might be a good idea. Like the first poster said keeping open figures in plastic bags would be a good idea as well, and it's also a good way to keep all the weapons and attachments with the figure. Hope that helps.

6. BigRC83

News Credits:
    I am not sure about this but would a box of backing soda in each box help out?

7. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't go with baking soda.
    But if you are worried about moisture or odors, look at a Lowe's or Home Depot for charcoal.
    it's a great dessicant and keeps that funky plastic smell down.

Since I don't keep the plastic inserts on my boxed figures, I put more than one figure in the box; like the main figure that came in it and then a couple others, but not crammed, and in ziplocks with accessories. Then I stack those boxes in the Rubbermaid bins.

8. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

This is probably better for short-term storage, but as I just moved last month, I actually transformed most of my figures to alt mode (some partially and some not at all, whichever was most compact). Put each figure in a ziplok bag. Blow a little bit of air into each one as I close it, basically putting the figure in it's own "bubble." And then wrapping each ziplok bag in a sheet of bubble wrap. Then into the box.

I supposed the only real difference in doing this for long-term storage would be (if it's possible) to put one of those little packets of ageless, that silica gel bits, in with each figure.

Salt would be cheaper I'd imagine, but I don't know if it'd react with the toy over time.

9. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    I do the same thing you do but without blowing any air in. For long term storage, is it crucial to put those Silica gel packets or anything at all? I don't plan on opening the boxes for a very long time.

10. BigRC83

News Credits:
    I hope you use air in a can.

11. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I don't. Which is why I said they were only packed for the move. Boxed for 3-4 days.
    The OP was just asking for something that gets rid of moisture, so I figured those were suitable.

That'd be a lot of Jack's Links Jerky to get that many packets of Silica gel, though.

12. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    - yes, you have to remove the batteries or they'll leak;
    - you can store your figures in ziplock bags but i read somewhere you have to change them every 2-3 years otherwise they'll damage the figures;
    - use glass and alumium for display cases, wood emits acid which may harm your figures.

13. Alung

Alung Lazybot

News Credits:
    Hmm...would zip lock bags then bubble wrap keep moisture out?

14. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Maybe if it's actually air, but I wouldn't risk it. I have a can of "Power Duster" in front of me. It reads:

Tiliting may cause contents to be dispensed as a cold liquid which may cause plastics or other materials to permanently discolor.

Uhhh, I wouldn't.

15. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
  16. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My brother gave me his empty case of Jack Daniels I had the same type of box but that split, so I just keep the years 1-3 of g1 in it, then for the rest of G1 in individual subgroup boxes(ie Target/Power/HeadMasters box, Action Masters bots Box, action master vehicles, MM bases, MM bots). For BW I have them in a Tub(4 gallon?), and my bases, and Japanese loose figures I have in a huge tub, G2 has it's own box, fits all figures, except the 6-7 I need

17. grayfox

grayfox Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks guys for your input. I appreciate it.

Dayum! Looks like I'm gonna have to ditch the Zip lock bags asap. Thanks for the ATT link, dude. I think I'll have to order some PVC free, acid free bags from that store.

So I guess this can be said:

PVC free plastic bins (Rubbermaid brand) = Good
    Standard Ziploc bags = Not good
    Acid/PVC free Ziploc bags = Good
    Taking the batteries out = Good
    Desiccant (packets of Silica gel) = ???

The only remaining question for me would be the desiccant. I'm still not sure I should put a few packs in every box/bin. Is it even worth putting them in if the figures are individually bagged?

18. VAwitch

VAwitch G1 GeekGirl

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The bag would emit fumes - it's the reason they changed the bags & boards for comic-collecting. That's a thought - while it wouldn't be "airtight" comic bags might be good for storage; at least the fumes wouldn't be a factor.

19. billwright

billwright New Member

Yes, Silica Gel is much needed for anything that could be vulnerable to moisture damage. Plus this stuff is fairly cheap, so why not?

Desiccant Products to Prevent Moisture Damage! - SilicaGelPackets.com

20. Deathx360

Deathx360 Farewell Dear Friend

News Credits:
    I store my toys in 18 gallon or larger containers, most of which are made by a company named Sterilite. A lot of small figures and accessories are in ziploc bags or Wal-Mart brand sandwich and storage bags. There are a few that have discolored like my older Gundams, mostly from Gundam Wing, and my R.I.D. Ultra Magnus although my other white R.I.D. figures still look very good. Part of that may have to do with some of them being exposed to some sunlight. Storage is limits so I can't wrap everything in bubble wrap or anything. Maybe one day I will switch out to something better but until it becomes a real problem or I have the spare cash I will stick to what I have.