TF Shopping in America

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by sanbot, Jan 3, 2011.

1. sanbot

sanbot Member

If you were to rank the retailers based on:
    i) gets stock in first
    ii) price
    iii) range
    iv) number of stores
    What would the "general" consensus of this forum be? I'm trying to get a better idea of what stores to focus on the next time I visit.

2. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I find that it, at least as far as stock goes, which store you want tends to fluctuate. Currently I find that Target has more recent figures in stock than Wal-Mart in my area, but that's likely to change at any point. The only thing I can say with certainty is don't waste your time at a K-Mart.

3. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Target & Walmart are about the same, then TRU then Kmart price-wise. Prices average around $8 scouts, $10 deluxe, $20 voyagers, $40 leaders, $30 HA.

Target & Walmart are probably the companies with the most stores. All across the country.

As for getting things first, no set pattern. Sometimes Walmart gets stuff first, sometimes Target, KMart is the first one to get RTS stuff around here. Also seems the closer you are the the Pacific Ocean, the sooner you'll find stuff (except for those weird times Ohio gets items first)

4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Lately with me, Walmart's been the most current, and Target/Walmart has been close to neck-and-neck price wise, depending on location.

5. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

What? Sacramento, CA is a new toy desert in which there is no oasis. You can be sure that anything new will not be seen here for at least 3 months. Or longer. Sometimes if ever (to this day I've never seen a MP seeker at retail).

6. sanbot

sanbot Member

Okay based on the responses so far lets say Target and Walmart should be my focus and assuming that areas closer to the pacific ocean get stock earlier. Are there particular cities that stand out?

Also, whats wrong with Kmart? Is it because of their price? Granted they are different companies, Kmart in Australia is cheaper then Target.

7. TFcollecterguy

TFcollecterguy Well-Known Member

I don't know about other walmarts, but any walmart I go to that's within 20 minutes away doesn't have jack shit. They all still have tons of Mudflaps! My parents are lazy so I rarely get to go to the Target but it always has plenty of exactly what I want and new stuff when I go.

8. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    They've also been known to royally screw up online orders. HA Mudflap showed up on their site one day and EVERYONE that ordered it there got an HA BB.

9. Strarf

Strarf Crystal Convoy no more TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    K-Mart charges more than most other stores and ,from my experience, their toy isles are disaster zones.

10. MWG

MWG Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    At least around here, Target kicked the tar out of Walmart for getting in new Generations/RtS stuff this holiday season. And Target kept the deluxe figure price at $10, while Walmart went up to $12-13 and then cut back to $10 in November.

+-MWG-+

11. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    In Australia K-mart is always cheaper, and have larger lines to choose from. They had buster prime/jetfire recently, although more expensive items like MP or BT figures I haven't seen yet.

12. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

It varies from place to place. If you're going to be in America, it's best to check with the sightings thread of the location you're going to.

13. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    That's probably because it seems California (particularly around the southern side) has among the largest scalper/speculator/reseller population in the continental US.

And that's pretty true of all major metropolitan areas: more people means more sales so stock rotates better, but you have more collectors and resellers vying against parents for the same stock.

But on the flipside, in my podunk Walmart, I've often come across late line items with relative ease. But then again, some stuff like Marvel Universe is a Christmas only item, and slow stock rotation means larger items (like Voyagers) don't always move to be replenished (my local Walmart only got ONE case of Nest Voyagers last spring, and promptly replenished with backstock stuff from 2009)

So yeah, stock will vary wildly by region. As is, the OP's selection in Australia might even be better than what some of us in the US have to pick from.

14. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    Walmart tends to get newer stuff around here, but not too much of it. TRU is my preferred place to shop. Even if they take longer to get something, they'll usually end up carrying more of it.

15. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ??? uh ok I live in Modesto just 90 minutes south of you and a fair smaller town than Sacramento but we have all new stuff here, that's strange.

I agree with Switchblade Walmart and Target, though I will say our Walmarts in California are turning to crap (not sure which state you are visiting)

Also surprisingly Dollar Tree, my husband is a freight manager for Dollar Tree and every once in a while they get transformers stuff, most recently Transformers RPM's. And who can beat that for $1

Our Toys R Us store here gets a lot of Transformer stuff but they are a little more expensive (not by much though)

16. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    What state are you going to? Check that state's sighting forum.

17. sanbot

sanbot Member

I will be travelling all across America. So hence why I was looking for a "general" consensus.

When I was in America in november I used the sightings threads to try to isolate particular areas to look for TF's. But I found it hard to find specific information on locations near to where I was staying. In the end just ended up using GPS to find Targets and Walmarts etc but that was time consuming and risky coz I did not know what they had in stock and so I might travel up to half hour and end up finding nothing. So I've been thinking that if I knew what retailers are "better" then I can just focus on those ones when I put them into the GPS.

I find that when I go TF shopping in Sydney that the further inland that I go the more range of TF's you have (I suspect to cater for the fact that many younger families can only afford to live further inland) as opposed to the city stores. Would this be the case in America?

18. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Target. Always find the newest stuff there first and no long lines.

19. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It varies. Going further into the countryside might let you find more stuff since there are less collectors in the area. Of course, because there are less people in those areas, stores might not get the stock the city stores get.

20. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Oh. You meant the United States.