TF:ROTF is the last chance for GM and Ford?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Jazz1979, Dec 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazz1979

Jazz1979 Well-Known Member

Since the financial crisis hit the US automobile industry very hard which were already doing bad years before this crisis, do you also think this might be their last chance to pull out some nice marketing commercial before Ford, GM and Chrysler goes totally bankrupt and vanish forever?
    The US government does not give their wanted aid package because they do not believe that these three companies could change that much with the aid package anyway.
    And foreign car manufacturers also are not in the best situation too and i think noone would overtake the US brands and their employees.
    I just wonder what cars we might see in TF3 if GM and Ford vanishes within 2 years.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    This topic might be a bit too political, so I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets closed in the near future. Also, Ford isn't associated with the movie, so they aren't going to benefit from it at all. Not sure they would benefit too much even if they were one of the sponsors.

3. Ceasar121

Ceasar121 Wants a Toxitron repaint!

News Credits:
    Honestly, this is kind of silly. First of all, a movie wouldn't turn around an entire industry thats failing. Secondly, even if GM and or Ford go bankrupt, they would continue to exist for at least another 5 years or so, as they are to much a part of American culture.

4. OVR_RUN

OVR_RUN Jazz Meister

News Credits:
    first off GM and ford will not be gone completely, what the government told both of them to do is down size their brands in order to receive the loan. for instance, GM will have to either get rid of SABB and Saturn and then down size pontiac or if necessary also sell or axe that brand. and as for ford, they have already sold off Jag and Land Rover, now they are looking to get rid of or sell Volvo.

as for the Movie, yes this could very well help GM in marketing and help the company out slitghly, with the '10 Camaro coming to dealers some time February, and also the Chevy beat and trax also making their debut on the big screen for the fuel effeicnt and small car lovers.

now chrysler thats a different story, no one knows for sure their future.

5. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    will there Wild ANimals.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think it just far too early to know the fate of what sort of ties GM will have with Transformers. With filming done GM has already done it's part with the film and it should be advertising they don't have to pay for since they could just let the movie sell cars without running related ads themselves.

No word yet on when filming for part 3 of Transformers will start up so I think we'd just have to wait until an annoucement about the filming for part 3 to know how the GM support for the movie might have to change.

7. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Going to have to keep a sharp eye on this thread.

It's going to take more then a movie to save these companies. A the most basic level what they have to do is start building cars people want to buy.

8. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Save for a VERY few exceptions, I doubt people go see a movie and then buy a car because of it. Sure, everyone comes out of the theater wanting Bond's Aston Martin or a Bumblebee Camaro, but usually forget about it once it comes time to decide what you're going to do for dinner.

9. influence82

influence82 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ford was not a sponsor for the first Transformers Movie. GM got a PR boost from the movie but it did not translate into more sales of their cars. The Autobots were all custom made and not available for purchase (who has seen Ironhide's model in real life doing real work? Not this trim level), so it would not translate into direct sales, either. GM's financial woes are independant of the promotion from the movie. GM donated cars that they probably could not sell anyways to the movie.

10. newguy

newguy i

Volkswagen sales are increasing.

11. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

They should really split GM up. Like Bell in the past.

12. Bgrngod

Bgrngod Autocon

News Credits:
    The big 3 won't go away forever. If they fail, they will be sold off in pieces, along with their trademarks, and some new car companies will be born of them.

I'd prefer seeing some Japanese cars in TF3. I'm dieing to see a Rally WRX turn into Smokescreen.

13. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

a lot BETTER ones, thats for certain.

I personally hope GM, chrystler, and Ford all do go bankrupt simply becuase they do not make vehicles worth buying. Those 3 throwing in the towel will mean other brands will be able to bring in more cars that we dont normally get here and I'm very much looking forward to it

14. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Honestly, its in GM's best interest to stop sponsorship of the movie if they aim to make their argument credible to the government. Congress already lambasted them for flying in on 3 separate corporate jets and wanted the companies to prove that they are actually doing something to improve their companies.

GM is going to the extreme of limiting the number of pens their employees can use and are making it a policy to have every single light in their corporate headquarters turned off after business. They're pinching pennies and I don't see how GM sponsoring the movie would help them to survive. They need to take that money out of the movie and instead use it to cover their overhead...

15. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    Im sure GM has tons of concept cars they would give away for this series. The trilogy won't miss a beat. No pun intended.

16. Bottom Out

i couldnt believe that myself

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Throw in cars that people can also afford to buy. You could have the best built car to ever hit the road but if people don't have the money to spare to buy one then you just can't sell it.

Even if one of the big three could get a high milage totally electric car on the market this year I just don't have the spare income for a car payment.

18. mulanzo

mulanzo Dinobot

Well... Im fairly certain this movie is going to come out after GM is a memory.... Ford will be still around though. Maybe ROTF will be a nice swan song for GM, to see all those transforming cars flying around looking all cool. Too bad the real things couldn't be that cool. I won't miss GM all that much. Was never a huge fan... I'm also glad the stangs will live to see another day! Go Barricade!

As for Ford making junk as some of the previous posters have mentioned... F-150. And if you have ever driven an Edge or Lincoln MKX, you'd see a nice car right there. The Lincoln MKS is pretty slick too. So are the new Mustangs... hmm..

If only Ford Europe brought their cars over to North America... actually I think they are.

I'd drive this....
    [​IMG]

19. Overlord54

Overlord54 Active Member

All Im going to say is that I'm absolutely disgusted by our governments recent decisions, including the double standard of the financial institutions and the auto industry.

20. Bottom Out

im actually proud of our governemnts decision to not help them....they cant help them if they dont help themselves

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.