TF:ROTF in my opinion will be closer to G1 than the first one

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by darthrage, Feb 13, 2009.

1. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    First of all this is not a discussion about how the movie feels or designs. It is solely about the characters.

when you really think about it, this is more G1 than the first movie because all the characters are basically the more representative of or mirroring that of the first few G1 episodes:

In the G1 the villains in the first few episodes consisted of:
    Megatron
    The Seekers - Starscream, Thundercracker, Skywarp
    Soundwave
    The Cassettes - Ravage, Rumble, Frenzy, Laserbeak
    Contructicons
    Reflector

And this time in the movie they got:
    Megatron (i think he's in it)
    Starscream will represent the seekers
    Soundwave
    Ravage will represent the rest of his cassette buddies
    Constructicons

And everyone else is just for more Autobot kills.

In the first movie, the Decepticons came from everywhere:

Brawl from Combaticons
    Barricade, I don't even remember him
    Blackout, I suppose he is a renamed Vortex
    Skorponok from the Headmasters series
    Bonecrusher from the Constructicons which wasn't even a construction vehicle

So if we're talking characters, they're quite all over the place.

Now with the Autobots, the new team consists of:

Optimus
    Bumblebee
    Ironhide
    Ratchet
    Sideswipe
    Skids
    Mudflap
    Hound??
    Wheelie
    Jolt
    Arcee
    Jetfire

So when you really think about it, Jolt is really the only new comer because Skids and Mudflap are a representation of the twins from the G1 eipsodes. Sideswipe just represents Sideswipe as an individual Autobot member. And I suppose they didn't want to bring in Cliffjumper because he would overshadow Bumblebee and they really don't need another Camaro there.

I think the roster we have here is a very positive thing and it is definitely a nod to G1 because the team is back with familiar faces and updated with new members. This line up could be as good as it gets in terms of bringing back the original characters.

2. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    You have to remember though, they listened to fans on which TF's were most wanted in ROTF. Other than that, I fully agree with you.

3. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    thats absolutely true, thanks for reminding me

The first one was just testing the waters and seeing what they can do with them. The production were picking the characters off a short list or something.

In this one, the fans voted who they wanted to see.

4. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

They did? Then where's Wheeljack, Sunstreaker and Prowl?

And who the hell voted for Skids and Mudflap?

Also, where did Hound come from?

This movie, much like the first, will be nothing like G1

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think it'll be "more G1".

Just more robot based, which isn't a G1 exclusive at all.

6. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I don't know I mean will it be the characters or will it just be the characters names that are used.

Lets say you had Mahatma Gandhi in a film. But in the film Gandhi is a really big muscled up guy who goes around beating up people and acting all gangster. People would say he might be called Mahatma Gandhi, but that's not Gandhi. Is it enough just to use a name or does a character need something else?

On the other hand if the suits and producers are bit more hands off this time we know the writers are Transformers fans so perhaps they were able to work more of a Transformers feel into the second picture.

Guess we will just have to wait and see, but I just don't want to put in any hopes of a G1 feel only for the movie to fall short of what I had my hopes for, again.

7. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Barricade, as I just recently found out, was a G1 Micromaster and was also in the Energon series.

Um, don't you mean Vortex? Swindle's the Jeep Combaticon, Vortex is the copter Combaticon. But I think Blackout is his own character, not some previously created bot that was renamed.

8. darthrage

darthrage Leader Class

News Credits:
    Whoops!! yeah I mean Vortex, my bad

9. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Why does it have to be ANYTHING like G1? I'd prefer if it wasn't, actually.

I grew up on G1 and am NOT a G1 hater. It was fun back then in the 80's. Decepticons attack, Autobots fire a few shots, Decepticons run away and Starscream gets abused.
    This new continuity HAS to be different on the big screen to suit the modern audience. If it was a live-action G1, it'd cater to the fans of yesteryear, then go straight to DVD in a matter of weeks.
    Names- There isn't a problem with re-using names, because names are just that. Names. My name's Michael, and I work with four other Michaels out of 27 people. Why can't there be another Devastator or Bonecrusher or Barricade? Dammit, I want a Miketron.

I think everyone has an idea in their heads of what they want to see done and what would make them happy. Unfortunately for them, this is a new generation where mass-shifting and happily-ever-after endings won't fly.

As for what is there from G1, Prime, Bumblebee, Megatron and Starscream are the anchors. A new cast surrounds them for a new universe. Some familiar names, some new ones. It's a good mix, and It's exactly what I was hoping for when I first heard of a TF movie! Admittedly, I was taken aback by the designs the first time, but after looking at them from a logical perspective, they have truly become some of my favorites.

Just to add something- Beast Wars has been toted as one of the best TF series of all time. There was little to no G1 there at all, besides two of the names.

10. Cyberjet #7

Cyberjet #7 Banned

G1 Blackout was one of the '90s Micromaster Bases - specifically the Decepticon Anti-Aircraft Base. Blackout combined with Spaceshot to form a B-1 bomber.