TF proper size scale art?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Incepticon, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    Okay, forget about Soundwave being a cassette player, Megatron being a gun, etc. and the whole lame mass shifting concept for a second. Where the other TF's are concerned, has anyone ever drawn or depicted them in proper "real life" size classes to one another?

For example, the Seeker jets vs the Autobot cars. If the Seekers were/are F-15's and the like, logicially they would be substantially bigger than most of the Autobots by tens of feet when in bot mode. Add to that someone like Astrotrain who would tower over everyone else what with being a shuttle & train. So on and so forth.

I'm sure I saw a picture once where the artist kept everyone's sizes accurate to proper scale (ie: only Metroplex's head is in the pic, Astrotrain & Blitzwing are larger than most, etc.), but I cannot find it anywhere... nor any other art showing the same sort of size differences for that matter. If anyone knows of some art done in this manner, please provide a link as I'd love to see it.

2. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    nope, never seen what your specifically described.

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Closest situation I remember would be (several of) the RiD/Car Robots Autobots. I remember the bullet train-bots being substantially larger than the other Autobots, including Optimus, though that definitely didn't match the relative sizes of the toys themselves.

4. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

I've seen a pic very much like that - it's in the Generations book, at the back. Basically an Autobot-Decepticon battle in front of Metroplex's head, is that the one? I don't remember the other characters' scale, but it sure made Metroplex look huge.

5. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think it's off topic, but right now I am shocked to find out that Big Convoy is shorter than Spychangers in robot mode. (According to kids book I am reading :lol )

6. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    That could be the one... but there's a couple that fit that description.

There's one where it's all the Autobots posing in the standard sizes as we know them, with a big Metroplex head in the background. There's a Decepticon one done in the same way, with Trypticon's head of similar size as Metroplex's in the background.

Then there's the one I was mainly referring to where it's virtually every Autobot also posing, but their size scales are all over the place. Prime and the car bots are usual size, Jetfire is bigger than all of them, the gestalt teams tower over Jetfire, Omega Supreme towers over the gestalts, Fortress Maximus is basically just a head & chest because he's so much bigger, and Metroplex is basically just a face since he's 10 times bigger than Fort Max. The Decepticon version is pretty much the same idea. Meg's & the Seekers are around the usual size, Blitzwing towers over the Seekers, Astrotrain is the biggest with the gestalt teams being only slightly bigger, Predaking is bigger than the rest of the combiners, Skorponok is bigger than him, and of course Trypticon is so huge that only his eye and part of his face are drawn in.

But like I said, those 2 pieces are the ONLY ones I've seen so far that depict the TF's in accurate non-mass shifting size... save for a pic in the IDW cover art book where the Con triple changers are much bigger than anyone else. That style is so much more believable and I would love to see more of it in TF art. I never bought the fan-made theory/idea/excuse of mass shifting, so it's always kind of bugged me that everyone was the same size in bot mode when their alt modes were so drastically different in scale. IE: an Autobot who turns into a car standing face to face with a Con who transforms into a jet.

The only shitty thing about pursuing real scale would be that, let's say Meg's is now offically a tank instead of a gun, he would absolutely dwarf Prime... and all of his Seekers would be bigger than him. Unless of course the alt modes weren't actual Earth vehicles but instead just *based* on them (like the toys). I dunno... just spitballing here and adding even more confusion to how TF's could ever be "real" and believable. Guess that's why I love The War Within concept so much - no Earth based size scales to adhere to.

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    That makes no sense at all. Even if the Spychangers were full-sized cars (which they're not), a Wooly Mammoth would still be significantly larger.

8. SydneyY

SydneyY @syd_tfw Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah I know. But I think that's official measurements, even if they are in kids books.

Big Convoy 3.2m
    Artfire, WARS, X-Car, Eaglekiller 3.8m
    Counter Arrow 3.7m and Ox 4.1m

Size in TFs never makes sense, I guess.

9. Smokescreen1980

Smokescreen1980 Well-Known Member

Mind, even when it comes to the Gestalts, they're not really in scale. If they were, Bruticus would basically be a huge space shuttle arm with a truck hanging off it somewhere in mid-air.

And don't even try to square the circle of a bike being the same size as a helicopter when it comes to Defensor...

10. Cast

Cast Roll the dice

Okay must avoid opening can of worms here but fort max and metro's size are completely different in different universe, in the cartoon they are about the same [at a guess] in the marvel comic you got it about right [although that depends on the time as max starts off a lot smaller], in Japan metro comes up about to Max’s waist or knee [there was a size chart of that] in the DW comic Don said Max was going to be much bigger than metro. So for what you at least when it comes to city bot's you need to say what universe of TF you are asking about. IDW is as yet un shown but as Don's is part of that I would guess he might keep the scale from DW but that is pure speculation.

Oh it it might well have been deleted now but Don did ages ago state how big he drew TF's in size with each other in the comic's forum but it was a long long time ago, it's the closest thing I have seen to what your asking for.

11. Mixmaster

Mixmaster logh ghot SIS yoD TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Although so-called mass shifting is an after thought to account for differing scales, I don't think you can avoid it. The problem is most acute with the gestalts and the triple changers. The gestalts have already been covered, but how can we account for Broadside being a fighter sized aircraft in one mode and an aircraft carrier in another? Is he tiny aircraft carrier or a giant fighter jet?. Okay this is an extreme example but there are such mismatches alt mode scales with all the early triple-changers (aside from Springer that is). Astrotrain: space shuttle and steam locomotive, Octane: airliner and fuel tanker, Blitzwing: Mig 25 (?) and tank (okay this doesn't seem as bad), Sandstorm: dune buggy and transport helicopter.

12. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Okay, so.... I know this wasn't really what you were asking for. You were asking for robot modes... but here's a super-quick-and-dirty scale chart I threw together of some characters' alt modes. The measurement info is mostly from Wikipedia or other online sources, so I apologize to folks in the know if any of them are inaccurate. It sure does show how much they monkey with scale in the TF universe, though. I've included the alt modes of Bumblebee, Jazz, Prime, Blitzwing (tank mode), Grimlock, the Seekers, and Astrotrain/Blast-off/etc. I guess the moral is, don't mess with Astrotrain.

Anyhow, for what little it is worth:
    [​IMG]

EDIT: Oh, and please excuse the backwards text on the space shuttle. :)