TF Prime's toyline: What will it replace?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Timelord Megs, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Timelord Megs

Timelord Megs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've been wondering about this for a while. We currently have 3 different lines running going into the fall; the Gold Box line (with both movie and non-movie-sort-of-universe-like toys), the Generations line (remakes of old characters), and the Power Core Combiners line (gimmicks!). That's actually quite a lot already for an off-movie year.

But now we have a new show premiering this October, but have gotten no word on anything about it's toyline yet. So how will it fit in? I find it hard to believe that they will have four lines running at once, so which line do you think it will be replacing? Will it replace the gold box line, which is still mostly movie stuff (with movie product being on the shelves since may of last year now), or will it replace Generations and PCC since they're just sublines and likely envisioned as filler until the next big thing anyway? Or, could the toys for the new show be similar enough in style to the movies that they'll be released as part of the gold box line as the line is supposed to be open ended anyway?

My best guess is that the toys for TF: Prime will likely either take over the gold box line or replace it by late November, or even as late as December/January.

Does anyone have any other theories, or clues to how it will fit in? :confused: 

2. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It'll probably replace the gold box movie figures. Then when movie 3 toys come out, they'll probably replace Pcc's...

3. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I doubt it'll show up until early next year, and essentially replace Hunt for the Decepticons (maintaining the yellow packaging but with a new subtitle). Then TF3's line will follow soon with an entirely distinct packaging design.

Around this same time I expect PCCs to die off, just because I don't see them selling all that well. I've certainly been wrong with projections like that plenty of times before, though.

4. primenemesis

primenemesis Banned

Ebay:
    unless i missed it somewhere you forgot to mention War for Cybertron toys.

5. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Generations = WfC, Universe, and other assorted Transformers.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Essentially this. TF: Prime will likely replace PCC, as apparently only 15 figures total are planned. 3 waves of 5 figs each (3 scouts and 2 commanders each). It wasn't intended to be a long-running thing. If PCC starts in May, then releases a new wave every 2 months, PCC will be all out by September.

7. BScorpinok75

BScorpinok75 Squadron X #1 Consultant

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    I'm thinking it'll relace the PCC line. As it is a very short line from what we've seen.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd guess TF: Prime will replace PCC and PCC was likely intended as a filler line between RotF and TF: Prime from the very beginning. Although, if TF: Prime doesn't start until late this year, it's not going to have very much time to get established before the TFTM3 toyline begins.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I'm thinking (and hoping) it's replace the PCC figures. Only a small-ish number of them have been planned, if the come out every 2 months or so, it'll over before TF: Prime comes in.

Least, so I hope. I want time to get all the stuff I want from the Gold Box stuff.

10. Timelord Megs

News Credits:
    Well, PCC does sound like hasbro is planning for it to be a short line, but if it's going to end in favor of TF: Prime, then I have a feeling that Generations will go with it.

Assuming that adding TF: Prime to the mix won't dramatically increase the amount of shelf space that stores devote to transformers, then both Gens and PCC with probably have to go, thus opening 3 size classes of Prime to take their place. Like, the PCC two packs would be replaced by Prime Scouts, the 5-packs with Prime Voyagers, and the Generations Deluxes with Prime Deluxes.

That would mean that we'd have Prime and the Gold Box stuff running together on the shelves until TF3 comes out (which would replace the Gold Box stuff).

The way that hasbro is talking about the gold box line being open to the "entire world of transformers" (in the recent club mag article on the PCC), and having at least one universe style character already (Sea Spray); Generations is sounding redundant. I could see it being a much smaller line than we think... :sly2: :redface2: 

11. Dinobot Snarl

Dinobot Snarl Well-Known Member

PCC has at least another wave after the first.... I'm not a fan. It looks pretty bad to me. Hopefully generations runs alongside PCC, and PCC is cancelled when Prime starts. Looks like they're making the animated mistake AGAIN, seeing as they'll be releasing figures for it after its been running for like 6 months.

12. Biotoakid

Biotoakid I've never been wrong

News Credits:
    I thought the gold boxes were Generations. I'm
    sure Prime's toyline will fall into that along with WFC toys

13. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    When you put it that way, putting Generations out as another line does seem kind of pointless. I guess Hasbro just wanted to give us a name for us to classify the classics-style by.

14. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Is the gold box line really running that long? I thought it was just going from whenever they hit shelves this month until the fall.

15. Timelord Megs

News Credits:
    I just looked at the new release date information about the PCCs. Searchlight, Smolder, Huffer, Skyburst, and Bombshock are out in May, Icepick, Sledge, and Leadfoot, are out in June, and Doubleclutch and Mudslinger are out in August. If these dates are accurate then that still leaves 2-3 months for the rest to come out before the toys for Prime are released (assuming they roughly match the show's premier). According to the latest club mag there are still three more 2-packs and two more 5-packs coming that we haven't seen yet. 2-3 months is about how long they'd need to be released after August to finish them all, which takes us to about when TF: Prime is supposed to be starting! :eek: 

I'm starting to think that maybe Generations and the Power Cores are the ones that are going to get the ax, and not the Gold! (Insert joke here about a guy named Axor conveniently showing up in the Gold Box line :lol  ).

Of course this is assuming those release dates are accurate. They still sound a little early to me. :peoples: