TF Prime Voyager Thundertron

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Goldlock, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    So, who'd like a quick look at an ol' swashbuckling bearded-peglegged-robot-lion/wolf?

[​IMG]

And for those after a peek at his bio and tech specs:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now onto Thundertron!

As you've all seen from other photos, he's cast in mainly white, a metallic blue and greyish silver, with gold and teal hints dotted around the figure. All of the colours look far better in person than photos do justice. The silver fade effect on the coat-tails area is especially nice, and helps break up an otherwise large clump of blue surrounding the legs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Judging by the CGI art (see first pic), there is meant to be a bit more of the white/milky colour around the body in place of the blue.

Speaking of all that blue, some of it is due to the clear plastic of the 'Powerizer' gimmick. All in all, i'd say it's the best execution of the gimmick to date, since it perfectly blends in to the figure without clashing against the regular colour-scheme [i'm looking at you Optimus!].

Thunderbeard himself feels a lot more solid than the likes of Voyager Megatron for some reason, even though the plastic doesn't appear to be any thicker/of a different quality.

There is also almost no rubbery plastic on this guy! The only bit i've noticed is the beast tail, which is very rubbery, but this works surprisingly well considering it's an 'organic' appendage.

The poseability on this thing is fantastic. He has a somewhat limited ball-jointed head, full range of motion in the shoulders, elbows, kind of the wrists (due to transformation), hip/thigh, knee, and ankle (singular!).

Even though Thundercat here has the [optional] peg-leg, it doesn't hamper his standing capabilities or balance at all. The ball-jointed other foot is fully capable of supporting the figure on its own - even to the point of standing fully on one leg!

[​IMG]

Of course, if you don't want the Paralympic look going on, you can always pop the 'spare' foot on, which can be stored on the forearm or in a peg-hole on the back. There's no ankle articulation with this (other than side to side), but it does give the figure a more symmetrical look. The foot is also needed for the beast mode, if a peg-legged robot animal isn't your cup of tea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's also the *sigh* Powerizer weapon...it's....it's not great. The blade itself is nicely sculpted in translucent plastic, but it doesn't lock, and the whole 'claw-growth' assembly attached to it is awful. He can't even hold it in his hand ala the box art! I may just dismantle mine and remove the blade for him to told like a real cutlass.

[​IMG]

As far as height goes, Long-John Thunder can stand with the best of them. He suitably towers over deluxes, and stands almost exactly the height of FE Voyager Optimus, putting him slightly higher than PRID Megatron. This bot is built to shiver some timbers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The transformation (which i'm going to gloss over here) is clever and more involved than you'd think, but is still quite fluid and easy. Reminds me of the good ol' Beast Era...

[​IMG]

In lion/wolf mode - (i'm gonna call it 'lolf mode' from now on), the same colours are scattered around, along with an abundance of sculpted material. They've really gone to town on some areas of this guy.

[​IMG]

While in lolf mode, he's poseable in the legs and tail. The mouth sadly isn't on a hinge, but it is sculpted partly open, so you can imagine him growling or shouting 'yaaaargh' at some land-lubber.

And...wait for it....he even has an earring sculpted into his left ear!!! If that isn't amazing, I don't know what is!?

[​IMG]

Size-wise, in this mode he stands the same height as PRID Optimus' vehicle mode (there was a pic, but my thumb photo-bombed it), and is the same length as PRID Megatron's jet-mode. So he's got a decent bit of size as a lolf too!

[​IMG]

Overall, I love this figure. And I mean absolutely love it. The design is fantastic, yet so tongue-in-cheek with the pirate theme, that it shows what a fun modern figure can be. Depending on your opinion, him being a new/original character may hold sway on whether you get him. All I can say is "woohoo!" for it not being yet another one of the homage character/figure/molds that we've been relentlessly subjected to since 2006(ish). Originality ftw!

So, make your own minds up on this guy, and do it quick, because I reckon he's gonna fly off the shelves and disappear down Davy Jones' Locker faster than you can say "Avast ye!".

PS sorry for the pirate jokes, you just can't help it with this thing.

Attached Files:

2. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks decent.

3. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    I can't wait to find this.

Sucks about the weapon not locking, guess I'll have to make my own.

4. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    He looks too damn good for the Prime line.

5. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    His lion head has an earring?

That is AMAZING. Turbo-bought.

6. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This figure does seem more fun than Magnus. This sort of reminds me of a Cybertron figure.

7. baggzey23

baggzey23 psn - baggzey23

News Credits:
    Can't wait get min e tomorrow or Thursday :D  he looks awesomazing

8. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Odd question for you.

I've made a weapon from Lego parts and it can fit into voyager Dreadwing's hands. Are the hand openings the same between the two figures? I really want to use the weapon for Thundertron, if possible.

9. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    I haven't got Dreadwing, but if his hands are the regular 5mm(?) holes, then it'll fit just fine.

10. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hrmm so is he against bots and cons? It one over the other based on his bio.

I hope he is bad.

11. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

This would make for a sweet Prime styled Razorclaw.

12. The Bucket Kitten

The Bucket Kitten Meow... TFW2005 Supporter

Great review, I hope I can find this guy.

13. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dammit Goldlock, I am not supposed to be buying Prime, but you're swaying me.

14. Yaujta

Yaujta De-Headmasterizator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I remember thinking (and posting) that when the figure was first revealed a few months ago. In fact, I was planning on getting extras just to do the custom, because he really would be perfect as Razorclaw.

Otherwise, it's fun being excited about a figure again. Haven't experienced that since FoC Shockwave.

15. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Rethink your heroes TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well this is my most-anticipated Prime toy now. I'm a big fan of Beastformers, and this guy just looks great. Factor in the cool pirate-themed details, plus the fact that he's the leader of a brand new "neutral" faction and you've got a toy that's well worth picking up. Thanks for the review...now to decide if I want to wait till this is in stores or grab one off eBay!

16. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

Well, it seems Thundertron was every bit as excellent as I'd hoped he would be-- can't wait till he shows up in stores near me!

On another note, his box art looks pretty decently like something from the show...hopefully, that's a sign of things to come.

17. Soundwinder

Soundwinder I wind sounds!

I just can't get over how much I dislike the beast mode. I've noticed that HasTak's big cat beastformers all look the same and that it uniformly looks... not like any real cat ever.

Throw in the fact I don't like his headsculpt, weapon, or skirt armor/coattails... this is an easy pass for me.

18. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Nice review! Lolf is now canon.

What about Wion? Wiger? Weopard? Wougar?

19. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Facebook:
    Twitter:
    I think since the Prime toys didn't impress me this one will be the only Prime toy I get because of how he looks and what not. And I did find it enjoyable of the pirate jokes and the different names you came up with for him, that was great.

20. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Cybertron Snarl 2.0? Can't wait to get mine from RK.