Minor/Repaint: TF: Prime Voyager Megatron Cannon W.I.P.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Pimptimus_Prime, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

Pictures of the Final Product Page 5. Pic Heavy!<---Link to new post.

I had imagined I would post on Radicons much sooner but I have always had issues with my camera or lighting or computer and by the time the problem was fixed the custom I was working on was gone. The past few years most of the customs I have done have been for a friend and his three boys. They were the only kids they knew with an Animated Thundercracker or Kup for Christmas. Modding toys has been a passion of mine since I was a child and I have finally gotten back to modding toys for myself. I look forward to having my work amongst all of your spectacular toys, and hope I can live up to the high quality of the TFW Radicons. :) 

Now for the work in progress. Here we have the cannon from a TF:p  RiD Powerizers Voyager Megatron (Full title given to emphasize how goofily long it is). As you can see I have chopped the sides down and reused part of the finger catches from the blade syringe gimmick to form extensions for the barrel accent piece. I carved down the purple plunger piece so it would be pressed flush with the back of the cannon and routed the wires and button inside of it. I have also rewired the battery pack and button from the light-up gimmick and replaced the led with a lower intensity red led as a placeholder for the eventual purple led I will be placing inside.

I have also glued the blade segments together and attached them to the segment of his Katar-like weapon that has the 5mm post underneath it in an attempt to reproduce his wrist blade without it having to be attached to the cannon. I have looked very closely and it is impossible to tell if it comes from the cannon or the wrist on the animation model as it actually joins the two together. I prefer having it atached to the lower 5mm socket on his wrist instead of having it always folded up underneath the cannon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is still a lot of work to do not just to the cannon, but to Megatron himself. I look forward to hearing any comments, be it praise or criticism.
    Thank you very much for looking. :-D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  2. wylungz

wylungz Well-Known Member

very nice.. so the led light in the canon now does pop out and is behind the "barrel" of the blaster? very interest stuff. i've been trying to modify a new canon for him b/c i dont like how its kinda weighing my megs arm down and messing up his shoulder ball joint. i can always just tighten the ball joint but im not a fan of the "mechtech" like canon .. good stuff here!

3. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

Very cool Idea I hope you dont mind if I steal it. How did you glue the blade pieces to the "Katar" weapon?

4. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

I attached new wires to the battery pack and routed them through the weapon, then I glued the battery pack segment in place. I will be filling the gaps to integrate the battery pack smoothly with the rest of the weapon. I will also most likely be moving the 5mm post further towards the middle of the cannon and making a filler plate on the purple end cap that will attach to the button.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not at all, go for it! I removed the blade segments from the cannon and sanded them where they contact each other so they had a tight fit. I then glued them together with Plastruct Bondene, a fantastic plastic bonding cement you can get online or from a local hobby shop.

[​IMG]

It works by chemically melting the plastic for 5-10 seconds which welds the plastics pieces together. You apply it with a brush attached to the bottom of the cap. It forms an incredibly solid bond. Fun fact: I used it to smooth the purple blade back to clear after sanding it a little for shape.

I then cut the segment of the Katar with the 5mm peg from the weapon.

[​IMG]

I then slowly carved down and test fit the blade until I got just the right shape. Another fun fact about Bondene: Since it melts the plastic of the pieces you are gluing you don't need a 100% perfect fit as the pressure you use to push the pieces together also warps the edges together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bondene also does not bond to flesh, dries in 5-10 seconds and completely cures in approximately half an hour. It smells pretty bad and you should always use in a ventilated area as the fumes can give you quite a headache.

I hope I've been helpful and look forward to hearing from more of you. :) 

Attached Files:

5. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Great idea & thanks for sharing the idea/materials!

6. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    Now I'm stealing this... Nice work!

7. kaseycuyler

kaseycuyler Maximal

Seeing as the bottom peg under the cannon isn't used, How does the blade look placed under the cannon with the cannon still on?

Also, why a purple LED when his cannon lit up blue when being fired in the show?

8. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

Thank you both!

I actually intend to display him with the wrist blade under the cannon in robot mode, but I will let you judge for yourself how it looks. :) 

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Truth be told I will be modifying the cannon's position on his arm so it will end up looking more like:
    [​IMG]

Your second question is something I was going to be addressing later, but no time like the present. :) 

On Megatron's animation model the lens in his cannon is always lit a light blue.
    [​IMG]

When he fires his cannon it erupts purple energy blasts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In order to be as accurate as possible I'm going to paint the lens the appropriate blue and have a purple led to indicate firing. I have used this method on a few custom Xbox 360 rings of light. My favorite was a Lord of the Rings themed paintjob where I made the ring gold.

Funnily enough, despite the fact that the lens of the cannon is blue, it emits purple light on objects near the barrel, as seen in this closeup of his sword.
    [​IMG]

I will be repurposing the screw hole on the bottom of the barrel to shine purple light on to the blade separate from the lens led, turned on and off with a switch.

Attached Files:

9. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

Time for an update. :) 

I masked off the battery door so when I started filling areas the Mighty Putty wouldn't stick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After I mixed up a small round I filled in some gaps, adding excess to cut down after curing.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using an exacto knife I then slowly sliced layers away until I had my initial shapes close to where I wanted them. I then sanded those areas but forgot to take pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I then cut down the 5mm post to the top of the existing angled support.
    [​IMG]

I then carved down the angled support little by little while test fitting constantly until it pegged in flush at the bottom of the peg and the top of the socket. I then cut the peg away from the bottom part of the cannon with a section of the bottom plate.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I figured out where I wanted the cannon to sit on his arm and matched the peg segment to the plate inside. I then cut out an area of that plate with a flat chisel tip blade and glued the peg plate in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

10. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

Next I applied more Mighty Putty to areas that needed filling and carved and sanded them into the shapes I wanted.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Next I put 2 rails of styrene down the geared segments of the bottom front of the barrel.
    [​IMG]

I glued 2 more segments of the Katar weapon to the rails of styrene and cut them flush with the bottom of the cannon.
    [​IMG]

As I added Mighty Putty I took leftover bits and added them to the inside of the cannon in the back near purple area. This was make supports that I drilled into so I can secure the back with screws. I also put a filler plate of styrene in. I also removed the wiring until work is completed in other areas.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There is still plenty of work to be done and I look forward to telling you about it. I also look forward to hearing what you think about it. Thanks for looking and talk to you soon. :) 

Attached Files:

11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    VERY nice.

12. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

Thank you very much. :) 

Today was kind of busy for me so I didn't do as much as I intended, but I did get some stuff done.

First I countersunk the screw so they aren't sitting up on the surface.
    [​IMG]

I also re-installed the wiring for the lighting, but I put on a tact switch with a longer button. I also cut and shaped a cover plate for the button area and carved a groove down the inside center of the plate for the tact switch to sit higher.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I drilled a hole for the button to come through on the plate. I then put some hot glue in the bottom of the purple segment to secure the tact switch. I then pressed the plate in place over it while the glue was hot to ensure proper placement. I then glued the cover plate in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unfortunately I was unable to find purple variable color leds for a price I considered reasonable, and the local electronics retailer I prefer to frequent is not open on sundays. I did however find something I was more than willing to purchase at a reasonable price: Ultraviolet Leds.
    [​IMG]

Ultraviolet Leds emit what is generally referred to as Blacklight, and the visible portion of it's light is violet, which is purple enough for my needs.Strangely my cell phone camera shows the cannon as being more blue than my eye does.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. Transfan327

Transfan327 customizing amature

epic. keep it up. :popcorn 

14. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

Thank you very much! I intend to. :) 

Today I am starting with something I did for Megatron's head, as the process is the same as what I did for the cannon only I have better pictures. I have been trying to take pictures of everything but I only have my cellphone and so a lot of the pictures I take don't turn out well. I only keep the ones where you can remotely see what I'm trying to show. When he is complete I will be borrowing a much better camera and assembling a light box and taking pictures, both before paint (whole and disassembled) followed by some after paint glamour shots. :) 

First, I have 5mm Ultraviolet leds, but need much smaller for Megatron's head and the accent light on the cannon. What is a poor modder to do? Chop down the ones I have! I sawed and filed away excess clear plastic until their was very little material surrounding the light emitting portion of the led. It is a time consuming process but it gets great results. Just remember to never use a knife to cut the plastic as it is brittle and will crack and split. Just fine tooth hobby saw for the outermost plastic, then file and sandpaper as you get closer to the size you want.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the end you can get it quite small. Here it is in a clamp viewed through a magnifying glass, followed by a comparison pic of Megatron holding he original size in his right hand and the new size in his left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here is a picture of the original 5mm size next to the modified led.

[​IMG]

And here it the red led that originally came in Megatrons cannon next to the modified led.

[​IMG]

Pics testing to make sure I had a good fit. I had more pictures of the process of cutting a wire channel in the bottom of the light piping section but it didn't turn out too well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I powered him up for the first time and discovered just how bright the led still was.

[​IMG]

After the application of some electrical tape mask to hide some glow I turned of the lights, powered him up and OH GOD HE'S GOING to EAT MY SOUL!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To the naked eye it isn't quite as intense as through the camera, but it was still pretty impressive. Here it is with more ambient light AND George Peppard in drag!
    [​IMG]

Then I did the same for another led, mounting it in the expanded screw hole in the bottom of the cannon's barrel. I wired a switch and I filled and sanded some panels.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some pictures of the accent led and eye led shining brightly in the dark.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A picture of the cannon lit as well:

[​IMG]

And finally a picture of Megatron's lit up head directly under a florescent light.

[​IMG]

Thank you for looking and as always let me know what you think. Happy modding!

Attached Files:

15. tb-1599

tb-1599 Well-Known Member

all I can say is WOW all I have done to my fusion cannon is take it apart and chop a few parts off. Can I send you mine with some money have you mod it fo rme ??? :)  LOL

16. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    This is some fantastic work.

17. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    You definitely put a LOT of work into this! It looks awesome! I am jealous of your skills and your figure. :) 

18. Optimist_Prime

Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I also would love to know if you are willing to do commissions? I don't know a damn thing about wiring LED's and I love what you have done here.

19. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

Thank you very much!

I would definitely be willing to do commissions. Anyone interested just toss me a PM. :-D

20. Pimptimus_Prime

Pimptimus_Prime Banned

Man, this is the coolest Leader Class Bumblebee I have ever seen. :-D

[​IMG]

The day before yesterday I minimized the led that was originally in Megatron's cannon but didn't include it in that day's update. Today it becomes relevant though, so here are some pictures of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here I show the piece of electrical tape I used to mask light from the forhead as well as the paint I used under the eyes to prevent plastic glow.

[​IMG]

Here is the light piping piece with the two leds stacked on top of one another.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are the wires routed around the ball joint piece.

[​IMG]

And here is the return of the disembodied glowing head!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And finally test fitting the head to see where I want to route the wires.

[​IMG]

I will making another post shortly with more work. See you then! :-D

Attached Files: