TF Prime Takara AM-09 Soundwave Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by pingth, May 8, 2012.

1. pingth

pingth Autocon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lots of us love the Hasbro TF Prime RID Soundwave, so let's see how this Takara AM version fare.

Basicially, the transformation and the features of the main figure is the same as the Hasbro version, so I'll not dwell on those at all and perhaps just point out the differences this Takara version has over the Hasbro version. In this review, the left side is always the Takara version and the right side is the Hasbro version.

Here's a comparison picture of the Soundwave figures:

[​IMG]

The colour of the Takara version doesn't look any different to me from the Hasbro version. By now, most of us would have realize that there are stickers to applied on the Takara one. Basically in robot mode, the stickers to be applied on neck area and on the shins. On the shins, where there are black & neon pink paint apps on the Hasbro figure, they are available as stickers to be applied on the Takara figure. the shiny purple stickers for the shins aren't easy at all to apply due to the surface area not being flat. I'll rant more about these stickers later on....

I quite like the shiny purple sticker for the neck area of the Soundwave. Here's a zoom-in pic of it:

[​IMG]

There is some purple paint apps on the under side of the arms for the Hasbro figure but there is none for the Takara figure and there aren't any stickers for it. Here's the comparison pic:

[​IMG]

For the laserbeak that pops off Soundwave's, there is no visible difference in colour as well. Where there is black paint apps on the lower wings of the laserbeak, Takara one has it in glossy black stickers. And here's a comparison pic for the laserbeaks:

[​IMG]

In the alt / UAV mode, there are "mech tech" ports on each side of the wings on the Takara version, and I guess the purpose of having these ports is to mount the Arms Micron in both UAV and robot mode if one so desires to do so. These "mech tech" ports embedded on the wings as some missile or engine accessories aren't too bad in comparison to some of the ports present on other Takara AM figures released earlier. Basically where there are neon pink/purple/black paints apps on the Hasbro version, they are stickers to be applied on the Takara version. However it is interesting to note that the tail wing of the Hasbro version is painted in black but the Takara version left it in blue and there aren't any stickers for it. Here's the comparison pic of the figures in UAV mode:

[​IMG]

And here's a pic of the Arms Micron mounted on the figure in UAV mode:

[​IMG]

And last but not least, this Takara figure comes with the Arms Micron which is not available in the Hasbro version and that was the reason which I was buying this figure for initially. The Arms Micron is a scorpion that can be transformed into some "Octopus-like" kind of mechanical arm. And there are some shiny purple/silver stickers to be applied on the this Arms Microns as well. Here's a pic of the Arms Micron in scorpion mode:

[​IMG]

And as weapon for Soundwave:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I like how this Arms Micron look on Soundwave, he did employ such extension arm weapons in the cartoon show. I can't wait to get another piece of the Arms Micron to be put on the other hand, so that he can have the weapons deployed from both hands (like when he tried to stop the decepticon spaceship in the episode of the Flying mind).

Also, there are one other interesting aspect to take note of is that the crest of on the head, the top wings of the laserbeak, the section of the arm nearest to the hands, the hands themselves, the heel spurs, the nose cone and the tail wings of this Takara figure are in rubber, not sure why this is so. For example, in the Hasbro version, the nose cone in solid plastic. The rubber heel spur does help the figure to stand better by friction against the surface but it is something you can do without. But if it is for child safety reasons....I don't see why they have it on the Takara figure but not the Hasbro one?

This is my conclusion on the AM-09 Soundwave figure, the Arms Micron is a plus point for me but however after I had preordered this item, Takara has news that the Soundwave's Arms Micron is available for sale separately (which I am getting another pc still). I cannot recommend this figure over the Hasbro version. If you already have the Hasbro figure and you like the Arms Micron, just buy the Arms Micron separately. There isn't anything significant that the Takara version has over the Hasbro one. In fact, the stickers application is a pain not because I don't like stickers, in fact I am a fan of Reprolabels and I really enjoyed how the sticker labels enhance the figures. But these stickers that comes with the AM toys are not as good as the ones from Reprolabels, sticky-ness is poor causing some ends of the stickers to unfold and loosen after a few hours or a day. The cuttings of some of the stickers poorly match the surface of the figure as well, I seldom encounter that from Reprolabels. And of course, having stickers for the abrupt and non-flat surfaces is the most painful part of the application process. For Takara, I think these sticker thingey are poorly executed even though coming from person who doesn't mind stickers, the quality of the stickers still need to have some way to go before I can say they are good.

2. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wish they made on for his face with the green blip line.

3. pingth

pingth Autocon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    In time to come, I think Reprolabels may fix that....we'll see.

4. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The micron is easily the best part

5. SwindlesShop

SwindlesShop Kenny Power's drug dealer

News Credits:
    disappointed theyre so similar :( 

6. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

That looks really bad. The ports ruin his aesthetic.

7. Sumner Sturgeon

Sumner Sturgeon It's not easy being the best~

The Micron seems to be the only redeeming factor, and even then, it's kinda ruined by the fact that there's no way to get the tentacle to come out of his chest.

8. ex dtw2003

ex dtw2003 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually don't think the ports are teh worst part of this mold.

SW didn't have a lot of paint to start and the "less" this one has is just brutal.

Agree now that the Microns are sold separately (sort of) the draw of this figure is virtually nil.

9. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    I want that Minicon.