Minor/Repaint: TF Prime Ratchet touch ups

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Unicron9, Apr 17, 2012.

1. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

This is probably my favorite Ratchet figure ever but jeeze he looked cheap right out of the box with the simple paint apps.
    Just did this for myself so I haven't done much to the vehicle mode or even transformed it back to alt mode since painting it.
    I went by a show promo render of him and just added what needed to be there.

I'll probably add more pics after I touch him up a little and get him into amberlamps mode, then touch that up too.

Attached Files:

2. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Wow, looks good! :thumb 

3. Cheetimus Prime

Cheetimus Prime Lost Spark

I was wondering when someone else was gonna take a whack at this. Good job!
    But don't rely on that image too much. As I learned while studying these things they tend to vary between the official art and the actual show models.

4. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

It is missing a lot detail (the promo pic) so I used show screen caps for mine. The few I have seen do seem to use the promo pic scheme though. I've done one but not taken any pics of it or Arcee, not too keen on the picture taking. It looks good OP, way better than stock.

5. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Yeah it was like that with the Starscream I did. I noticed a few differences from the promo pics in the actual show.
    I got a few screen grabs from the show to do his blades so maybe I will add a few missing details while I'm at it. So far I only put another thin coat of red on his forearms last night then went to bed.
    What did I miss?

6. Cheetimus Prime

The things I noticed were the orange on his feet and you gave hive the "gloves" from the promo art which aren't present on the show. Fill in the orange part of his collar bone area near his neck. His chin should be silver under the orange goatee and the round parts of his ears are white. That's all I can see for now as I'm outside on my phone.

7. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Hmm... Looking at him directly from pausing the show, I dont see any orange on him at all. The promo pic I used has an orange tint but I stayed with red because Ratchet was always white and red and so are ambulances. Don't get me wrong though, your orange Ratchet looks great that way.
    I do see a couple of minor details I could add though that are different in the show from the pic I used. Oh and he does have the silver on his chin and red on his feet on my repaint. The red on the feet just isnt as close to the gunmetal middle as it is on the promo pic because I stayed within existing mold detail lines.

New pics added that show his blades I painted and in the show.

Attached Files:

8. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

Just what Cheet listed really but one more small detail everyone missed so far(it is small but worth the effort IMHO). Inside his side grill area, the black space, just in front of it the 45 degree (?) slanted piece going from the side of the grill back towards the detached window edge is red/orange too. Seems minor at first, but you paint it and it puts a little "pop" in his midsection. Breaks it up and is in the show model. Then in alt mode the air splitters on the bottom bumper (one on each side) are red/orange but that's more personal preference. I've seen it both ways though what little time Ratchet has been transformed. I'm an accuracy freak admittedly, I get every thing in I possibly can. Contrary to that though I haven't painted the red part of his arms or the heartbeat graphic but that more for lack of paint/hobby store closed than anything else. :lol  I still have some to do on my own as it stands.

9. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Thanks for pointing that out. I will save a few screens of him in the show to make sure I added all i need too before transforming him and touching up alt mode.

10. Cheetimus Prime

I'm really not sure why people don't see orange. I painted my ratchet orange with a paint labeled as such:
    [​IMG]

And people still call my figure red.

And with the clear contrast between Prime's red and Ratchet's orange:

Image:SickMind-RatchetOP.jpg - Transformers Wiki

I guess I just don't get what people aren't seeing.

I for one am glad he's not another red bot.

11. Cheetimus Prime

Also his box art is the perfect reference for his blades.

12. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Looks great. He's another one I want to do. Still have to finish Bee first then Prime.

13. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You should paint his faux tires in his feet.

14. Cheetimus Prime

He doesn't actually have faux tires, they just filled those areas with smooth parts and greebles so I completely understand that not being painted.

15. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Your repaint does look red/orange in your pics, but I have 2 bottles of that same Int. orange right here and it looks very orange to me in person.
    Even in the screen you linked and the one I posted with Ratchet and Prime, I still just see Optimus' deep vibrant red and Ratchet's lighter faded red. Not to say I don't see a hint of orange there in some lighting, but he still looks red to me in the show. I'm fairly sure they designed him as a realistic red and white ambulance, just not the same shade as Prime.
    Man, looking at yours again though, you have one hell of a steady hand there. Sharp work.

16. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Doh, I trashed that as soon as I got the figure home. I never go by those because typically they aren't very screen accurate.

I almost did paint those lumps where the tire is on the CG version but he already has the tires near enough to the right place so I think those are just extra added details to the figure, not fake tires.

17. LogicalLuke

LogicalLuke Banned

Lighting and reflection in the show really mess with getting the true colors for these figures. In that linked pic of Cheet's he looks International Orange. In daylight shots I've seen him in he doesn't so much. Prime looks to be a Guard's Red, usually is in almost all figures/series and that's been the only constant so far here. Testor's will dry a tad darker sometimes too so that coupled with the camera and lighting could be the issue people are seeing in Cheet's Ratchet. I used Citadel Blood Red. It looks dead on to me but the lighting or camera may change it (if I ever take pictures that is). Frustrating series to match colors to figures IMO. All that detail and reflectivity looks good in the show then keeps you guessing come paint time. He still looks good though Unicron9.:thumb  You and Cheet both have done well with these figures.

18. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

A lot of the red you see on mine is actually just the factory figure color. I used testors rogue red to match it for the extra details.

19. SG hailstorm

SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

excellent job =D now if only michigan would get him and arcee already.....

20. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    Great work!