Minor/Repaint: TF: Prime Ratchet mini arm mod.

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by MattNvk, Mar 21, 2012.

1. MattNvk

MattNvk Well-Known Member

So Im not one to really post on here, but I wanted to go ahead and post this. For those of you who want Ratchet to have his red forearms, but dont want that red patch in vehicle mode, I figured out a simple solution. When changing him into robot mode, snap off the two pieces that form the arms, and then swap the two smaller pieces, and turn them upside down and reattach them. Then reattach the bigger piece.

Presto, you can now color the underside of the piece and it wont be seen in vehicle mode at all. The only thing is, you are gonna have to shave off the nub on the piece of the arm that doesnt come off, as well as the nub on the big side panel piece that comes off. And then you may want to shave off the nubs on the bottom side of the smaller piece. Everything still plugs in in both modes just not as tightly, and his hands dont stick up as much, thats the only downer.

Im not a good painter, but heres how mine looks so far. Im sure someone who is good with this stuff can make him look even better.

Attached Files:

2. changepas39

changepas39 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It works! I think my Ratchet will have to keep his white forearms. I'm not one to shave the plastic. I have painted small details on mine. Not brave enough to do the red on the top and bottom of his vehicle mode.

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Interesting. I might consider this.

4. Ruminus

Ruminus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Good idea, this could really work if you filled the hollows on the inside (now outside) of those pieces with a little putty, sanded then painted. Good idea, just needs a little more effort to really pull it off :) 

I think I'll just paint mine red though and deal with the red stripes in alt-mode. I tend to display them in Bot Mode anyway.

5. prime326

prime326 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    Not too shabby an idea

6. MattNvk

Im glad the idea is somewhat liked on here, which is why I figured Id post it. I was hoping someone could master this idea cause I dont know anything about doing mods. If I knew how to make stuff for Shapeways, I would of made a double sided flat piece.

Thanks! Ive never actually used putty, let alone shave down plastic before. I assume though its nothing too hard to do?

7. smiller0570

smiller0570 Maximal

Ebay:
    This just makes it 100% better than just the plain white. Also what red paint is that? It matches so good with the factory paint. Anyway good job on him.

8. Ruminus

Ruminus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nope, putty is real easy, just hit a hobby store and grab a tube for plastics, just squeeze some in and use the edge of a credit card or something to scrape along the surface to level it and remove the excess. Let it dry, give it a quick sanding with fairly fine sandpaper. You should be able to see if you filled it enough because as you sand the putty gets lighter, and if you still have low spots it doesn't get sanded, so just repeat if you didn't completely fill all the hollows the first time. Give it a final sanding with real fine grit and paint!

9. Wingnut

Wingnut Stayin' Alive!

Ebay:
    Nice concept! The backpack looks right! I hate that it's white on the toy.

10. MattNvk

Thanks! Its actually just a red paint pen from Walmart. Theyre with all the other art/school supplies in the back. Its just a taddd bit darker.

Would a place like Lowes or Home Depot carry this kind of stuff? I assume they would. Cause I have one of those stores next store so I can just go there and grab some, cause I dont know if there is a local hobby shop around here. But you make it sound pretty easy, once I can find some of this stuff, Ill be sure to try it out and post the results here, thanks again!

Ive actually added more red since then, I added some to the inside of the backpack too, which makes it even better I think!