3D Artwork: TF Prime: Optimus Never gets a trailer

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Big Hache, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Dogimus Prime

Dogimus Prime Maximal

Ebay:
    I'll gladly take a clear resin cast. Shit..sign me up for one of each.

2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    HMm, Makerbots use 1.8, which is probably close enough for hose-shoes and hand-grenades....but I was wrong, the transparent blue is actually PLA, so no help there anyway.

Transparent Blue PLA 1kg Spool 1.75mm Filament - MakerBot Industries

3. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Banned

News Credits:
    Big Hache, if you make molds, which admittedly is a big bitch, you'll be able to make these trailers much faster, possibly several at a time depending on how you make the mold, and cheaper. You'll have to search around for a good resin, though.

If you're interested in a good prototyping 3D Printer for testing things and making molds, look into making a 3D DLP Printer.

Just Google 3D DLP Printer and you'll find a lot of information about how to make one.

4. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Yeah I've seen those and they do look great. This is an emerging market and technology. If you're going to jump in, gotta get in at some point and just do it.

5. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Yes I agree that making molds would probably be faster. I need to take things one step at a time though. The investment in the printer was a little hefty.

OK time for another minor update. Here's a view of the underside of the trailer bed with all the attachment points for the undercarriage. The only other bed detail I'm considering is landing gear for the trailer. Still thinking how to work that in although I may just kill it for now.

Also a view of the tabs to hold the trailer sides together (total of four). I decided to keep the folding down sides since the detail was already there.

The nice part about modeling tabs and ball joints and things are once you model them they become part of your library of bits n bobs. I had modeled these tabs previously and it was a cinch to just paste them here.

Attached Files:

6. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    Quoted for truth :) 

7. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    ;) 

So I know this is crazy and I just basically finished modeling the trailer...

[​IMG]

There's a lot of Jetwing Prime love going on and I just wanted to throw this out there. I took some cues from Wheeljack's Jackhammer ship and did this real quick as a proof of concept. I know this wouldn't be canon because Optimus doesn't have it in the show but what do you guys think? And if it could be stored in the trailer?

Attached Files:

8. Dogimus Prime

Dogimus Prime Maximal

Ebay:
    Looks dope..I don't collect movie figures but I'm sure my cousin in the UK'll be all over it.

9. destrongerlupus

News Credits:
    It's more useful than Roller, that's for sure ;) 

Looks very cool!

10. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

I like the idea of it being storable in the trailer and I agree with the previous post of it being a better inclusion than roller.

11. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    OK here's an initial rough model based on the sketch. Unfortunately this would only take advantage of the RID version, attaching to the weapon ports on Optimus' chest. I don't have a FE Optimus so I can't even develop this for that figure.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Revised some more of the proxy geometry and tweaked on existing. Shortened the wings a tad to make sure they will fit on my printer.

Attached Files:

13. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    Nice, definitely feels 'Primeish'

14. Kilowog

Kilowog ORA ORA ORA

Ebay:
    If ya dont mind me asking/bumping/doubleposting :) confused2) how goes work on this awesome projact?

15. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Waiting on my printer, which I don't expect before next week unfortunately.

16. Optimal Fan

Optimal Fan Paxion

Big Hache, any progress on your project?

17. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    I'm dead in the water until I get my printer. :( 
    Shapeways is NOT an option for this project as it's just too darned expensive.

Edit:
    Just got a revised shipping schedule from Solidoodle. Looks like I won't receive my printer for another estimated 4 weeks. Unfortunately, I'm not making the money I was last year or I would have simply cancelled my order and just ordered something else that I could have in hand faster. Ugh...

18. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    Well I'm supposed to get my printer within the next 2 weeks. In the meantime I've been kind of scrambling to make money to pay bills and haven't been able to even think about this stuff.

Now I'm itching and can't sit still. Started a new model that I thought would be a good challenge, especially to have moving parts. I'm sure you guys can guess what this is. I think the measurements on this were about 90mm wide and 120mm tall. Needless to say I doubt this will end up on Shapeways, we'll see.

I think one of the best things about this board is that we can feed off each other's creativeness. fakebusker's work is on his TFP weapons alone is incredible. citoria did an absolute bang-up job on the Star Saber. While I'm waiting on my other projects I thought I'd at least give this a go.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. Dogimus Prime

Dogimus Prime Maximal

Ebay:
    I've already asked fakebusker to bang this out but this looks like it's gonna be very detailed.

20. Big Hache

Big Hache Perfect

News Credits:
    That's cool. I'm not in competition with anyone so it would be cool to see what he comes up with. At this point I don't even know if I would release it. For me this was a personal challenge.