Minor/Repaint: TF: Prime Megatron Fusion Cannon

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Optimist_Prime, Apr 18, 2012.

  1. Optimist_Prime

    Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2007
    Posts:
    4,182
    News Credits:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    212
    Likes:
    +44
    Ebay:
    I saw a thread by TFW member ichnach in which he used a book light to totally replace Megatron's fusion cannon. I decided I wanted to take a similar crack at it.

    First I got on of these really cool and perfectly shaped book lights at Dollar Tree. Unfortunately the one near me only had red ones left.

    I started by chopping the curved peg off and used the clamp as a new chip clip :thumbs2:  .

    [​IMG]

    I attached piece styrene tubing with Plastruct Plastic Weld ( Thanks to Pimptimus Prime for telling me about this stuff ) as a new peg. Yes, the light isn't perfectly strait but it works .

    [​IMG]

    I then shortened the styrene tubing peg, added the "muzzle" if you will from P:RiD Megatron's cannon, and off to paint it went.

    [​IMG]


    UPDATE: This project has become a little frustrating. First the peg and the muzzle snapped off after painting. I used Plastruct to glue the peg on again. I reattached the clear purple piece using a different glue, Sure Hold Plastic Surgery, which messed up the paint a little bit.

    The arm the cannon goes on has become floppy since I think these lights are heavier than the original cannon. Now I'm waiting for glues to dry and nail polish to harden on the ball joint.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Satomiblood

    Satomiblood Prototype Black

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2007
    Posts:
    19,640
    Trophy Points:
    282
    Likes:
    +108
    Nice work.

    But an FYI: when attaching new pegs or handles, it's best to reinforce them with pins, metal wiring, or long screws to prevent them from snapping off. Did you do this, or was it just a straight glue job?
     
  3. tb-1599

    tb-1599 Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2009
    Posts:
    3,085
    Trophy Points:
    172
    Likes:
    +15
    I had the same issue when I did this project. My solution was to use the peg from Megs orginal cannon. (If you have no plans on using it again. you can do this mod) here is a link to my thread.
    http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/radicons-customs/560474-tf-prime-powerizer-megs-fusion-cannon.html
     
  4. ichnach

    ichnach Predacon

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2007
    Posts:
    2,070
    News Credits:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    202
    Likes:
    +202
    I just modified mine with the exact same book light, looks much nicer than the one i originally used. To keep the cannon tip on i just took a very tiny screw and drilled a little hole in the book light cap and attached it that way, no more issues.
     
  5. Optimist_Prime

    Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2007
    Posts:
    4,182
    News Credits:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    212
    Likes:
    +44
    Ebay:
    Thanks. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of material to do that kind of reinforcing. I thought about adding some epoxy to inside of the peg, but this plastic weld stuff is pretty good.
     
  6. Red vs Blue fan

    Red vs Blue fan Banned

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Posts:
    224
    News Credits:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    56
    Likes:
    +7
    Not bad.
     
  7. SG hailstorm

    SG hailstorm JaAm aficionado

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2011
    Posts:
    2,994
    Trophy Points:
    202
    Location:
    Kaon
    Likes:
    +184
    Did this with the same light with mine, great job!
     
  8. Optimist_Prime

    Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2007
    Posts:
    4,182
    News Credits:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    212
    Likes:
    +44
    Ebay:
    Thanks for all the comments guys. I fixed all the pegs and such, so now I just need touch up the paint and add some silver detailing. I'll post pics of the 100% finished version.
     
  9. Pimptimus_Prime

    Pimptimus_Prime Banned

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    Posts:
    213
    Trophy Points:
    56
    Likes:
    +0
    Looking great! I love that the contour on the book light looks like the contours in the animation model. Also, with the Plastruct, I usually swipe the brush over the end of the piece I'm attaching and then brush around the joint. The bottle claims that the capillary action is all you need, but I like to make sure. I hold the pieces and apply even pressure for between 10 and 30 seconds depending on the area of the glue bond. I then let it sit for a few minutes and then I apply pressure to the pieces and give one more swipe over the exposed joint areas, then let it dry normally.

    Nuke the site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure. :) 
     
  10. Optimist_Prime

    Optimist_Prime The Original Optimist!

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2007
    Posts:
    4,182
    News Credits:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    212
    Likes:
    +44
    Ebay:
    That's exactly what I did this time. I probably could give the contact area another once over to really fuse the parts together.
     
  11. starscreamfan10

    starscreamfan10 Member

    Joined:
    May 31, 2012
    Posts:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    31
    Likes:
    +0
    orange cannon.

    you sould make him into galvatron.
     
  12. cheetor71

    cheetor71 Autobot

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2009
    Posts:
    5,152
    Trophy Points:
    191
    Likes:
    +2
    Looks good.
     
  13. autobot prowl

    autobot prowl Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2007
    Posts:
    2,878
    Trophy Points:
    262
    Likes:
    +563
    That's pretty darn neat! Like this mod a lot!
     

Share This Page