TF: Prime line, opinions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jul 19, 2012.

1. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    At least you can laugh at it when looking down on yourself.

2. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The brand isn't dying at all, it's just the popularity. The next big push we'll see is for the movie in 2013-2014. Let's be realistic though, Transformers has been DOMINATING the toy isles since 2007; it's run its course though.

Remember the transition from G1 - G2 - Beast Wars? I think we're starting to recircle that same cycle now.

3. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    having the show on complete hiatus right now isn't helping moving the line. Kids have short attention spans. My kids love Transformers Prime, but they are moving on to Ben 10 and Lego since there's no new episodes for them to watch. No new episodes = no new characters for them to desire = no sales.

4. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    Yeah, I think the most frustrating thing for me is just how amazing the FE line looked with the rest of the Wave 1 line. Wave 2 on, I think Vehicon is the only winner. Not sure which wave Ratchet and Soundwave were in though.

5. konrathink

konrathink Jared Magnus

I'm mixed on the figures. Some are nice, some are crap. Some are just so hollow that even if I like a figure I'm not paying for something that will break if it falls off a shelf. Pre DOTM figures felt so much better in hand that I'm really waning on whether or not I want to continue buying these figures.

6. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I must be the only one who loves mainline Arcee but thinks FE Arcee is a total piece of shit.

7. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:
    At first I was angry that I let my wife talk me in to buying her, but now it's just such a pathetic piece of shit I can't help but laugh.

8. Salty

Salty Fritobot

I like the line and will continue buying the new releases, but, yeah, It sucks in that it's so difficult to get the ones you want.

9. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    mainline Arcee rocks. One of my favs :thumbs2: 

10. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Currently facepalming at your post

News Credits:
    Just like any of the other toy lines, some are great, some are pretty subpar and a few are in the middle. The FEs are pretty great, all of them destroy their mainline versions except Vehicon IMO. Wheeljack is alright, but I like Dead End 100x better. Soundwave is alright. I'm one of the few who really like Voyager Megatron. Ratchet is ok. Takara Breakdown isn't bad but definitely feels light compared to other Voyagers with its size and bulk.

11. Alucard77

News Credits:
    In Peaugh's review, I think I heard the best line on the figure:

"I wanted to show everyone the improved mold for this character, but my dog didn't want to take shit this morning, so I couldn't include the better mold in this review"

I want to get her just to say, you see that, that is legendary. Maybe the worst transformer ever made.

12. AngryChad

AngryChad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really like the line, but then again I can afford First Edition figures and overseas exclusives. I can understand how kids or people who aren't willing to spend as much might be frustrated.

13. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've given up on the Prime line, mainly due to the abysmal distribution in my area, as well as just losing interest in it.

14. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm still collecting the line through my kids. They don't care about lack of paint apps or show accuracy so them being happy about em is good enough for me. The fig that started me not liking it was/is Knock out. Such a great character on the show and his toy sucks due to lack of paint apps. I don't got painting/custom skills so it is what it is. I think I'd be more displeased with the line if I wasn't able to find 2 Vehicons in the wild.

15. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I feel the same way. I'm seriously considering scaling WAY back after the FoC line has run its course. After that, I'll probably just stick to MP figures. I just can't justify spending as much as I do for these figures anymore. At least during the RoTF days and prior, there was a certain level of "heft" to the figures that just felt satisfying. Now they're smaller and more hollow and (most importantly) more expensive. I think SDCC Bruticus is probably the last big purchase I'll make from the franchise. I don't remember all the hassle involved in the hobby being present before the movie line. Sure there was the one off Asian import that I wanted maybe once a year, but it just feels like I'm constantly paying an arm and a leg to get an accurate color scheme or a figure that Hasbro refuses to do. The whole Prime Breakdown thing feels like it really sealed the deal for me

16. Satomiblood

Satomiblood City Hunter

I only have 3 figures from the Prime line: Soundwave, Vehicon, and Megatron. Well, more like 2 since I'm gutting up Megatron for an eventual custom. However, I'd say it's a nice line. I don't think it's as good as Animated, but I think that has more to do with with the fact that the latter occurred during a time when deluxes were ~$10 and materials and paint apps didn't feel scarce. Also, Hasbro seemed to drop the ball with the initial "First Edition" drama, coupled with the fact that certain figures aren't getting a proper NA release. Aside from Animated's almost abrupt cancellation in 2009, thereby preventing the release of some anticipated toys, I really think it was handled a lot better, especially when Takara and TRU made an effort to release the final Animated molds. I think Prime is simply a victim of rising production costs, shrinking product to offset said costs even further, and some front office mis-steps. Also, there was nearly a 12-month gap between the show's inception and its tangible offerings, which I guess goes back to the aforementioned front office flubs.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  17. Molina00

Molina00 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like the PRiD Arcee much better than the FE version, so you aren't the only one.

I am very disappointed that we don't get a Breakdown release and that Airachnid is mostly garbage, but overall I am happy with the line. A lot of them are very nice figures and even the hated BB has had a couple of nice repaints. I think the only figure I don't like is Airachnid, not a fan of the voyager weapons either. They also have some great looking figures coming up with Rumble/Kup for deluxes and Dreadwing/Magnus/Thundertron for voyagers. In my opinion they all look great from their promo shots.

18. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I like the Voyager Megatron, I just want Dr. Wu to make an appropriate weapon for him. I am waiting on FE Optimus though. He needs to replace my PRiD one.

I don't have either Vehicon, even though I wish I did.

I just have an issue paying that money for mass released products if you will. I don't blink at 3rd party stuff, but for some reason, when there is a mass released Hasbro product, $30 is my limit.

I did do $60 on Takara FE Bulkhead though. He almost warranted that money.

19. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator

News Credits:

I actually went looking for reviews after I picked her up because I seriously thought I was doing something wrong...mis-transforming somehow. The only wrong I did was give someone my money for something Peaugh's dog could have made for free.

20. jbz

jbz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That being said, I am selling my Arcee, Ratchet, Soundwave and Wheeljack, all MOSC. My kids have all of these open and displayed on their shelves, I can live through that. I'm wondering if I should do the same with my FEs.