TF: Prime line, opinions?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    So I have had my Prime Line on sale and got a couple of bites, but not for what I wanted, so I am deciding if I should keep the line or not and just pull my sale.

Having said that, I just spoke to a bud that said he is sick and tired of the prime line. I forget how sick and tired I got of it as well, so I am wondering if people feel the same. This is what we talked about:

1- The line is very annoying to collect. They are not seen at retail almost at all. The damn BB screwed the line from the start. Now retailers get one case at a time, if that.
    2- The whole FE debacle
    - FE toys announced, then never released, then scalped to all hell.
    - FE toys announced again and now released screwing those who paid high prices for them in the first place.
    3- Announcing cool toys like Breakdown, and then saying they will never see state side release due to cost restraints. Which makes a person have to pay $60 for the Takara release!
    4- When Hasbro releases something, they have some decent figures but they have their own issues:
    - Hollow formers I like to call them. With no attempts at covering up the hollowness.
    - Arachnid, do I need to say more?
    5- Short packing on waves - Vechicon anyone? Put that together with a store getting only 1 case, and you have a perfect storm of annoyance.
    6- The Hasbro weapons are straight junk on the Voyagers.

On the plus side, the good ones are really nice. They resemble the show very well, and don't have the hollowness and other issues when done right.

So the question is, for you guys out there, is this a line worth sticking with or do all the constant issues and mishandling of this line just turn you off all together?

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Nope, I've basically just given up on the line as a whole and I've been placing some of them in my "Movie crap I'll eventually sell" pile of toys.

3. Grimlock_317

Grimlock_317 Member

I didn't hear Breakdown wasn't getting a US release. This is very annoying. I'm having many of the same problems with the line, none of my local stores are stocking newer waves. I haven't seen hide nor hair of Vehicon, Airachnid, or Knock Out. I would hope things will get better, but this reminds me alot of Animated. It was hard to find anything past wave 1 of those as well.

4. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It's got it's gems and it's turds but I'm content with the line as a whole.

5. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have a friend who works at target and I talk to my TRU guys a lot as well. Pretty much what they tell me is that now a days, they will get 1 case in, and that is pretty much it. Sometimes, they may get two cases in.

My local TRU and Target both had no less then 6 BB on the shelf.

6. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I really enjoy the Prime line, but the distribution - at least in my area - is reaching Reveal the Shield levels of scarcity. I'm pretty sure Target just now got the Wave 4 revision case - but the Vehicons were gone before I got to it.

Pretty sure if I want Prime stuff in a timely manner, I'm going to be ordering from BBTS and/or TF Source.

7. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mediocre. The Powerizer gimmick and bad weapons, toys like Airachnid, characters like Breakdown and possibly Jet Vehicon and Unicron not even being released to NA, the FE debacle (not so much of a debacle now, but still). It's just...mediocre as a whole. Animated, Generations, and HFTD were much, much better toylines.

Oh, and CANADA NOT GETTING ANYTHING PAST WAVE 1.

8. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've mentioned it here a few times, but I'm done with the Prime figures. I can't bring myself to sell them just yet, but I'm not buying anymore. I plan to only display a few of them when I rearrange next. Maybe the 5 'Team Prime' characters. I do still really love my FE Bulk and Arcee, and am fairly happy with PRiD Optimus even though I haven't painted him the way i'd like to.

Why am I done with them? Well all the things you listed along with me just being tired of the aesthetic. I never liked ANY of the Animated figures based solely on the way their bot modes looked, and the Prime line is nearing that level of dislike.

The Prime line just sticks out like a sore thumb among the rest of my collection(which is movie heavy).

But that FE Bulk? He's never going anywhere. :D 

9. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the aesthetic of the line, but I feel content with everything I have. The only figures I feel inclined to get are Dreadwing and MAYBE Breakdown. I'm personally losing interest though.

Fall of Cybertron figures have my full attention, though.

10. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Hasbro never actually announced Breakdown, that was all Takara's doing.

And besides, every line shortpacks and has that one figure that sucks hard.

And I feel that those who paid a lot for First Edition toys that complain about them being rereleased are being very selfish. A lot of us couldn't pay the online prices, and are now finally getting the chance to get these toys at retail. Can't we just be happy for each other every now and then rather than go ARRGH HASBLOW SCREWD US OVR!!!1

11. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    It's like Hasbro iust doesn't really... care, care aout the older fans and only care enough to force people to go to San Diego, stalk websites and/or make evryone rely on Takara.

12. Smashs

News Credits:
    Seconding this. The WFC figures are, without question, my favorites. So i'm very much so looking forward to the FoC line.

13. Alucard77

News Credits:
    So I just called a local TRU looking for Knock Out, Arachnid and Vehicon. He pretty much said that the only way they get a shipment in now a days is if inventory drops below x number.

He said inventory hasn't dropped below that number in a while. All they have is wave 1 unfortunately.

This is the fun that I may not be missing. I wonder how far we are away from not seeing TFers at retailers at all.

14. Strarf

Strarf Toy Battles Reloaded TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the Prime line is pretty much crap. I'm not a fan of the aesthetic and I just don't think many of the figures are any good.

15. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

I very much doubt that will ever happen. Especially with us getting another movie in a couple years.

Oh and have you checked Walmart and Target? Target seems to be where the new releases first appear usually.

16. Wolfdawg

Wolfdawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've noticed a lack of interest in the brand lately, to be honest. Not from myself, but from the general public. Most of the stores in my area have the same problem of stock not reaching x in order to make the store order new stock.

Of course, when I think to hard about it, I just assume I'm being paranoid. Realistically, I can't ever see the brand dying. Still, it's a little odd that shipments aren't being made and stock isn't being ordered like it was during the heyday of the movies. I don't even remember it being this bad during A/E/C.

17. Smashs

News Credits:
    Also, Airachnid is the worst thing ever.

Ever.

I'd rather own a dead rat.

18. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

:lolol 

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran

News Credits:
    One of the most hit-or-miss lines I've ever seen. Overall, I'd say it's fairly mediocre.

20. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Very accurate and well written list of points there.

Listen, I'm still happy with this line but it has been frustrating. It's actually been more weird if nothing else. I think it's just an interesting time for Transformers and also the slow decline from the top of the mountain for this toy line.

I'm going to continue to collect this line in full because of they great figures we have received. However, it's weird and frustrating to have figures like Airachnid mixed in with the scarce Vehicon.