TF: Prime Entertainment 2-Pack

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by cybernaut, Nov 19, 2011.

1. cybernaut

cybernaut Well-Known Member

Notes:
    • Credit is due to Cybertron Philippines where this review first appeared.
    • Mods, if there exists a similar thread for this, please merge as necessary.

Transformers: Prime Entertainment Pack feat. deluxe Optimus Prime and Megatron

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Blurb
    OPTIMUS PRIME® and the AUTOBOTS® are once again faced with a growing threat. MEGATRON® has harnessed the power of Dark Energon and is determined to conquer Earth, and then the galaxy. The only things defending Earth from conquest are the heroes of Team Prime.

Packaging

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Obligatory packaging images.
    • IMHO, the TF Prime packaging designs for the “first edition” stuff are really cool. Something about the dark blue coloring and the foil-insert portions make them stand out of the sea of bland DotM product packaging.
    • As far as I’ve checked, the TF: Prime “first edition” stuff don't have the usual Character Bio and Tech Specs, instead using large product shots and co-sells, as well as advertising the TF: Prime TV show.

[​IMG]
    All the contents of the TF: Prime Entertainment Pack, out of the box.

Megatron

Megatron comes packed in robot mode, so I’ll start there.

Robot Mode

• Good robot mode, better than, say, the Megatron from the TFA Battle Begins 2-Pack. The sculpt follows the animation model very closely, capturing that stylized Bay-verse “layered armor” look effectively, with lots of overlapping parts and protrusions.
    • Cast in two hues of gray plastic with purple parts for the neck and arms. Shiny metallic silver and purple paint apps help highlight the details. The eyes are piped translucent purple, which match Megatron’s on-screen counterpart and give off that menacing vibe.
    • Has a slightly hollow, flimsy feel to it, especially with the torso and shoulders, but if transformed propery, everything’s solid and stable. No floppy parts, though the chest panels and backpack tend to shift slightly now and then. The shoulder struts tend to dislodge the chest armor if not snapped correctly.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron, robot mode. NOTE: Back part is MISTRANSFORMED.
    • Megatron comes with one accessory. His signature Fusion Cannon is purple plastic with silver and translucent plastic details.
    • The cannon be attached either on his forearm via a slot for that traditional Megatron look, or held by his hands via a fold-out peg.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron, showing options for attachment of Fusion Cannon.

• Articulation is good, with a ball-jointed neck, ball-jointed shoulders, bicep swivels, hinged elbows (dual-hinged, thanks to a transformation joint on the forearm) wrists on limited swivels, ball-jointed hips, thigh swivel, hinged knees and ankles. NO WAIST ARTICULATION
    • Feet are set flat on the ground, unlike TFA Megatron, giving the toy a good balance, and is helped by the fact that the toy isn’t very heavy.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron, kneeling pose (left), and Kick Test™ result: PASSED! (right)

• Compared to the rest of the recent Megatrons, one can really feel that Transformer toys are shrinking, as he’s really rather small for a deluxe, height-wise and proportion-wise.
    • Compared with other same-size Megatrons, one can really see the “Bayverse-Animated” look that is the TF: Prime aesthetic.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron, robot mode (right), compared to WFC Megatron (left).

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron, robot mode (center), compared to TftM Voyager Megatron (left) and TFA deluxe Megatron (right).

Alt Mode

• Similar to recent “Cybertronian-mode” Megatrons, it takes a decent amount of twisting and parts moving everywhere to convert Megatron to altmode. Especially tricky are the panels that end up on his back since they’re quite fiddly to get right and tend to pop off their hinges if not folded correctly and the crotchplate which was quite stubborn to unfold..
    • The instructions, while easy to grasp (most of the time), fail to mention some last few steps, especially on the wings that fold out from the legs.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron, alt mode, based on instructions.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron, alt mode, proper transformation, wings extended.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron, alt mode underside.

• As seen from the underside, you’ll probably realize that Megatron is essentially a hollow shell with struts and hinges for the joints and limbs.
    • The final product melds both Bayverse and animated aesthetics well, and, if done correctly, is solid and stable.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron (center), compared to TFA deluxe Megatron (left) and TftM Voyager Megatron (right), alt modes.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Megatron (right), compared to WFC Megatron (left), alt modes.

Verdict
    This is a good, if not great representation of TF Prime Megatron. Transformation is intricate and tricky for a deluxe-sized TF, yet both modes are solid, with no floppy parts. My copy had tight joints and good Quality Control, overall. Definitely one of the better Megatrons out there. If anything, my only wish was that the fusion cannon came with a launching missile.

Optimus Prime

Prime comes packed in robot mode, so I’ll start there.

Robot Mode

• Identical mold-wise to the recently released SDCC TFP Prime (the one with the Matrix), TFP deluxe Optimus Prime (it’s really awkward to be saying Transformers: Prime Prime…) is quite good, solid and stable, with a very distinct aesthetic. The details are close to the on-screen model, although some compromises were clearly made for the design to be feasible, such as the abundant panels on his arms and especially the square back panel on the torso.
    • Prime is cast mainly in red, blue and gray plastic, clear blue for the windows, with silver and yellow paint apps for the details.
    • Compared to Megatron, Prime’s bot mode has a solid, chunky feel to it, with thicker plastic and a sturdier design.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime, robot mode.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime, relaxed pose (left), and with gun held (right).

• My only gripe is that Prime has weird proportions. I know it’s the same with the on-screen model, but his arms are a tad TOO long. Maybe it’s due to the forearm / wrist parts being cast in gray plastic creating the illusion that the arms are ”longer”, and the chest kinda sticks out a tad too much.
    • Prime comes with one accessory, a blaster, which is essentially a solid chunk of plastic. Thanks to the way it pegs on Prime’s hand, it creates the illusion that the Prime’s hand “converts” into the gun.
    • Articulation is good also, with a ball-jointed head, universal-jointed shoulders, bicep swivels, hinged elbows, ball-joint wrists, limited waist rotation, ball-jointed hips, thigh swivels, hinged knees and ball jointed ankles. Thanks to the huge footprint, the figure is stable in many poses.
    • Once again, in comparison to other recent, same-sized Primes, one can see the effects of toy shrinkage, though in fairness, he feels chunkier and larger than the DotM Optimus Prime.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime, kneeling pose (left), and Kick Test™ result: PASSED! (right)

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime (left), compared to WFC Prime, robot modes.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime, compared to DotM deluxe Prime (left) and TFA deluxe Prime (right), robot modes.

Alt Mode

• Transformation is complex yet not frustrating. Everything snaps into place firmly, although the way the parts shift and change positions is quite clever, with a certain DotM voyager Prime feel to it, with the arms forming the truck nose and the feet becoming the roof / wind vane.
    • Prime’s truck mode is suitably, chunky and very vibrantly red, unlike most recent incarnations. It’s solid and stable, and rolls smoothly on the floor/table/ground/what-have-you.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime, alt mode, front.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime, alt mode, rear.

• It’s also interesting to note that this Prime has a decent trailer hitch (it flips out of his legs and is where his gun plugs in) which looks like it can accommodate a trailer with a compatible enough peg.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime, alt mode rear, with gun removed, showing trailer hitch.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime, alt mode front, showing grill detail.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime (center), compared to TFA deluxe Prime (left) and DotM deluxe Prime, (right), alt modes.

[​IMG]
    TFP deluxe Optimus Prime (left), compared to WFC Prime, alt modes (right).
    Verdict
    As far as first edition deluxe Primes go, this one's a good, if not great representation of the character, despite the compromises brought about by the size constraints. The transformation is involved and intricate for his size, but the end results are solid, with no floppy parts. My copy had tight joints and good Quality Control, overall. While the reported voyager version is sure to be closer to the show version and have better proportions and gimmicks, this one will scratch your TF: Prime itch until the main line arrives next year.

Extra Stuff

• Aside from Prime and Megatron, the Entertainment Pack also comes with a DVD containing the episode "Masters and Students", as well as small PVC figures of the three TF: Prime human leads, Jack, Miko and Raf.
    • As far as the DVD is concerned, the only thing I'm sure of is it's NOT Region 3 compatible, as it doesn't play with any player I currently own. I can't comment on the content until I can watch it.
    • The figures are decent, nothing special. They're basically static figures with removable stands. The sculpting captures the show models fairly, although there are paint issues on all of the figures, notably on the hands.
    • For those asking, the figures have neck articulation.

[​IMG]
    TF Prime DVD, PVC figures and instruction manuals.

[​IMG]
    TFP PVC figures, Jack Darby (right), Raf Esquivel (center) and Miko Nakadai (left), front and back shots.

[​IMG]
    TFP PVC figures, size comparison with Lego and Mega Bloks Halo minifigs
    Overall Verdict

All in all, this 2-pack was quite the surprise. The toys are great and of good quality, and even the small PVC figs are a nice bonus. The stuff you get with this pack is a very good sampler to the promising TF Prime line. Call me impressed and waiting.

[​IMG]
    Grade

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4 / 5

Jya na!

2. Hook

Hook Out of Options Veteran

Facebook:
    Excellent review. I was on the fence for this one, but after reading this, I will definitely grab this set.

3. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Even though I already have the Voyager Prime, I still want to get this set.

4. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    got this set as a sampler to the line, and impressed with both figures, think i am going to go completest on the line. there's an animated feel to the figures.

other than the giant hinge in prime's chest, they both look good, the kids are a decent bonus, and i'm not going to bother taking the dvd out of the package since i have the episodes from dark prime to tide me over until the actual dvd series release.

megatron's transformation is a lot more involved than i thought it would be, and the sculpt is great. prime is fun to fiddle with, and his articulation is very good

5. Snake_eyes1975

Snake_eyes1975 Peace through Tyranny!!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Not a fan of TFP stuff, but still looking at reviews.

Just wanted to say that is one of the best DAMN pictorial reviews with comparison shots Ive ever seen.

Great job, and Ill be looking out for more of your stuff.

Dave

6. LightningZERO

LightningZERO The Alternity

News Credits:
    Nice review of a very nice set. I love them!

7. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If i were to really get this Entertainment 2-Pack,it will just be just for the sake of getting the 3 human figures.

8. alexcollier

alexcollier Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Is there any reason why Prime has those movable shoulder pads? They don't seem to need to move to aid in the transformation.

Actually, I think there may have been a running change (quite early) as my Miko does not have an articulated neck. I thought it was just tight but it's actually one piece.

9. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Megatron looks really nice in person. But I aint forking over $45+ tax for an Optimus figure I don't like, derpy statues of the humans, and a DVD of episodes I can watch online.

10. Stepper

Stepper Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nice review,greatjob cybernaut

11. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    If nothing else, then this set will be mine.

12. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The set for me is a pretty big disappointment.

Prime's proportions are really weird and I have to echo all of the complaints about the forearms. The pieces above the wrist really detract from the overall look of the robot mode. His arms are very long. He has several joints in his arms but if you move any of them it makes the figure look really strange since the front half of the truck is hanging off the back of them. If you rotate his shoulders it looks very bad.

Megatron is a much nicer looking figure and IMO is the only good thing about the set. He is pretty show accurate in both modes and his transformation is not bad considering he has a "Cybertronian" alternate mode.

One positive thing about both figures is that they have really excellent paint applications. Prime has a lot more apps over the SDCC version and they look really good. Megatron also has a lot of that delicious Hasbro silver paint that they could have just as easily left that dull grey plastic, but they didn't.

The kids are cool little figurines but I think they would have been better suited to each be packed in with their respective partner (Jack with Arcee etc.) then in this box.

What really killed this set for me is the price, and this is coming from someone who has no regrets about paying $250 for MP-10 Convoy. I paid $50 in Canada after taxes ($45.99 before at TRU) for this and there is just no way I can justify that price. If it was $30 I would have felt a little better about it, but I still would only consider the set as an okay purchase. If you can only get this one on sale or just be patient and pick up the voyager Prime in the coming month or so.

13. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    Saw this set yesterday at TRU and picked it up.

Honestly, I'm pleased, but I wasn't expecting anything too amazing with it. In terms of robot modes, I think I actually prefer the Deluxe Megs to the Voyager; he's certainly got better light piping and that elbow/bicep swivel along with a more compact (kibble free) robot mode profile makes him look better IMHO.

The surprise for me was Prime; I wasn't expecting to care much for him, but I find I actually think he may be the star of the set. I rather like the transformation scheme and the results in both modes.

The kids are almost a throwaway and I couldn't care less about the DVD, but the price tag makes these two deluxes slightly cheaper than 2 regular deluxes, so that's a plus.

Overall, as I said, I knew what I was getting into and it met those expectations.

14. rego0012

rego0012 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    the only thing in this pack that makes it worth it is megatron. if you like him or his design get this set. as of right now its the best version of him in toy form.

15. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Just a regular old plumbus

News Credits:
    I **LOVE** the Megatron from this set. When preorders opened up for this set a few months ago on BBTS and Entertainment Earth I ordered so fast, and I'm not disappointed. Prime would be better if the voyager FE didn't exist...but as it stands I cannot really like him too much due to the weird point of rotation on the shoulders and the gorilla arms. The FE voyager is just so much nicer.

16. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So glad to finally be able to get this. Megatron's basically as good as I thought he would be, and he's my favorite toy of Prime Megatron. Optimus is better than you might think too, though his headsculpt is a bit... odd to me (maybe it's because the RiD's headsculpt is so good).

The kids are a nice addition, and the DVD would be cooler if they didn't give the same episode away with Cyberverse Commanders.

17. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I really like this set. A fellow member in Canada hooked me up with it for cost + shipping (which was a good amount) back in February or so when it didn't look like this would be coming to the US. I like the Optimus, actually - he's not really that bad. Megatron is by far the better figure however, it's too bad the voyager RiD version couldn't have been as good as the deluxe. And of course, the kids are the icing on the cake - love having them around.

Finally saw one at my TRU today for $30 - hope some other collectors out there can get their hands on this set because it shouldn't be missed.

18. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Something I just noticed with my Optimus is that the crest on his head is unpainted like the SDCC one, as opposed to painted silver like it's supposed to be. Is this just how the US release is supposed to be, or is mine off?

19. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    They probably made a mistake with yours, since my figure has the silver on his crest.

Although, I do have a paint error on one of my Primes. In vehicle mode, on top of the wind deflector...it is supposed to have a silver "L" on each side that forms a "C". One of the sides is missing it's "L", so it looks stupid. lol Luckily I purchased two sets, so my normal one is in Truck mode, while the one missing the paint is in Robot mode.

I just wonder how many paint errors this figure went through? lol

20. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Who knows? I was so focused on making sure Megatron looked good, that I didn't even bother looking at Optimus :lol . Thankfully, silver happens to be one of two colors that I have a paint pen for, so it's a pretty easy fix if I ever feel like doing so.