Minor/Repaint: TF Prime... Drift?...

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Taiki, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

This was sorta just asking for it, actually. After all, Wheeljack does look very much like Drift aesthetically...
    And again, warning to all Radicons?... the plastic of this series can be a TAD wilful at times. As soon as I finished spraying him with a topcoat, his right shoulder swivel broke off, so now his right arm is LITERALLY unhinged. /heartache... I might fix him, but not right now.
    Working on the head was moderate hell. I literally face-offed Drift's face off his original swivel and hinge neck and screwed it onto Wheeljack's balljoint and light piping, so the light piping still blazes under the light...
    I think he turned out ok? And he DOES still transform... can't see where the hell to store his spark sword though, aside from scratch building a collapsible one...
    haven't decided on what kanji to write on his forearm panels either... was thinking of using 斬 since he's a swordsman, but...
    we'll see.
    /sighz

[Edit 1]: fixed his shoulder with a spare Jack I had lying around. added some paint detail to his rims, and added the kanji to his forearm armor. painted the spark sword gunmetal with a silver blade. Looks more complete now, but really rough looking. >___<. Gonna wait for the paint to dry a bit more before I even think about transforming him though...

[Edit 2]: finally got the balls to transform him. Alt mode looks ok, but nowhere to store the spark sword, so I hereby invoke subspace theory. /facepalm. Also, a comparison pic with the original Generations drift showing how the WJ mode seems a lot sleeker. Now if they would only do this officially...
    Also... pic showing how badly I had to mangle Drift's face to get this on and keep the mold transformable... and what happened to my extra WJ. The poor bugger...

Attached Files:

2. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

Nice! I was thinking about something like this actually, though I do not have a spare Drift or Drift head.

3. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks cool, I notice the red stipes look like the alternate deco used on the Diaclone version of the Lancia.

4. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

heh, he's fun to do, if you can get a spare...
    but doing the head is kinda painful, since you literally have to rip the orignial assembly to shreds...
    on the flipside though, having Wheeljack's head on Drift's body is HILARIOUS... XD

5. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

yepz. XD
    was trying to figure out how to do the red highlights, and this seemed the best way to do it... a straight lift of the rising sun motif from Drift didn't really seem like it'd work...

6. JazzMusic

JazzMusic Well-Known Member

I've been wanting to do this! Wheeljack IS Drift! Hasbro is screwing with our minds!!!

7. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    ...me gusta...

8. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    :thumb 

He's great.:) 

9. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Yep. Either that or Hasbro is intending to bring in Drift at some point as a repaint...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  10. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Great mod and paint there :thumb 

However I do agree with you on the plastic quality. My voyager Meg's backpack swivel hinge cracked after applying paint on it. And I was even careful not to mix with thinner that time.

11. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Thanx man. :) 

>_____< Ow. I feel for ya. never a nice feeling to have something like that happen. /shudder...

12. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Love it!

Might have to give this a go. :D 

13. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Very nice! I'm using a Drift head on an extra TFP Wheeljack to do a custom Hot Rod (with modded Drift head). I just posted a quick shot on my Facebook customs fan page a day or so ago. Before I modded the head any, I noticed that the Drift head looked great on the body (just tested, didn't have it attached yet).

This look awesome & the character really is pretty much Drift. Nice work on attaching with minimal modding! I attached a ball joint to Drift's neck, so it has the regular ball joint rotation and the added up/down neck movement that Drift had. I'm hoping to post a thread soon on it. Keep up the great work!

14. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

heh, give it a try. It's fun... if a bit harrowing. Just go easy on the solvents and the solvent heavy paints?... they eat this plastic for breakfast. >_____=

Whoa, Hot Rod? XD This I gotta see~ I'm a Sideswipe and Hot Rod fan, and now that you mention it, this mold would look great as Rods with a bit of a fin mod for his back...
    lolz, errrr... heavy modding to the head actually... I actually cut off his face [MoviePrime?...] and screwed it onto Jack's light-piping with the native ball joint... would love to see how you do it so I can do the same. XD

15. rohrerprime25

rohrerprime25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's badass looks really good

16. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That looks absolutely amazing, especially with the kanji! Can't wait for vehicle mode pics.

When you mention the plastic cracking after painting, what kind of paint did you use? I'm planning to do a custom with this figure as well. I was thinking of using Testors acrylics.

17. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

This looks really good! I love How Drift's head looks on Wheeljack's body.

18. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

Thanx guys. :) 

Thanx. :) 
    I have a feeling it's Gundam markers... but the gold/silver pilot markers might be culprits too. The parts I used acrylics and sprays over seem ok, but I think you should be wary of using anything with too much solvent... it seems to eat into the plastic make it really brittle... then it crumbles to dust in your hands as you scream...

19. Taiki

Taiki Well-Known Member

ok... he CAN still transform without me beheading him. A big of a tight fit, but it still kinda works...

Attached Files:

20. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    That figure looks awesome! :) 

I just love the Wheeljack mold, so I hope several different figures come out in the RID line that use it. :D