TF: Prime Deluxe Class BLUE Arcee

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by kylash327, Nov 19, 2011.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Note: I had a difficult time finding this thread because unlike all the other threads this one didn't have First Edition in the title.

With that out of the way I'd like to say that some how despite not ever seeing any FE figures on the shelves in normal store and living in the states, I managed to find a FE Arcee at freaking T.J. Maxx. There were three Bumblebee's there as well but I already have mine that I imported.

Arcee I wasn't going to bother with because I was pretty happy with the PRID version and unlike the Vehicon she isn't an army builder. But being that I found this rare figure for only $7 I went ahead and picked it up.

I have not actually transformed her yet but just looking at the vehicle mode one of the first things I noticed is of course the better paint scheme and weapon storage. Also this doesn't come across well in video, people have mentioned it but being color blind I didn't notice this myself till I had both of them sitting right next to each other in person. FE, is a little bit darker blue. Another odd little thing I noticed. I've knew about the pegs on PRID Arcee for a long time but never realized what they were for. I looked at them together and they're not even the same mold, FE Arcee's legs are just a little bit bigger. With that in mind someone actively decided to intentionally engineer the PRID version to be able to hold FE weapons. The same pegs for vehicle mode weapon storage on the FE mold are also present on the PRID version. It looks a little odd with the darker blue paint but nearly as bad as she did holding her own PRID weapons. (I'm probably going to use the "display stand" FE comes with to store the PRID weapons from now on because they just make the vehicle mode look so ugly.)

Short version, FE has the better vehicle mode. I like the PRID version OK especially sense I painted her tail pipes in but FE looks good right out of the box without making any changes to it.

OK transformation. FE Arcee is more difficult. I'm not just saying that because I've had more practice with the PRID version but there are just more steps, smaller pieces to move around, and tighter joints. It's not too difficult I was able to figure it out without looking at the instructions though I was careful not to break it with the stiff joints. PRID Arcee is a little TOO easy for her size so this is actually a plus. Though it is a bit awkward having to transform the pieces for her chest plate and they don't even look right.

In robot mode, again FE has the better paint apps except for the arms. This is where I point out one major flaw PRID did better. The kibble hinders articulation, there's no paint on the arms themselves, and the little silver bits that hang off her wrists aren't even molded into her arms. Not the blade weapons but the little silver bits that PRID Arcee does have molded and painted into her wrists. They both have ugly back kibble but I think having the wings directly on her shoulders where they constantly bump into the back pack is the worse design.

Also something I neglected to mention about the vehicle mode because at the time I didn't realize it was important. They're about the same size. FE is a little bigger if you're looking closely at them side by side but from a distance you can't tell there's any difference. In robot mode however FE is noticeably taller. FE is at least a head taller in robot mode compared to the barely fraction of an inch difference in vehicle mode. Most likely due to how everything folds up in vehicle mode. They're both packaged in vehicle mode and if it wasn't for the First Edition label on the box I wouldn't of even realized this was a different figure.

Anyway, despite all the good I've said the arms are the reason why I never bothered with this figure before. They don't look good and they're hindered. She's better than I initially thought she would be but I would still say only pick her up if you can find one for a cheap price like I did. I don't feel too bad about it for the price I paid but I think I would hate to have paid full price for her. I don't think I'm ever going to display her in robot mode because of those freaking arms. The better paint apps only really help her in vehicle mode. She does have that collar with the Autobot symbol painted around her neck like in the cartoon which is the only new detail you can see in robot mode. I'd rather have functional arms than a neck collar.

2. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    For me, the creepy face, cumbersome kibble and pink make this worse than the PRID. The Prid has kibble, but it doesn't hinder the arms or stick up behind the head. Plus the blue and silver is more appealing. I know they gave her pink because oh yeah Arcee was pink once but it just doesn't go.

3. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

Read the thread title. This is the blue version not the NY Repaint. Also the face isn't that bad... unless you're talking about the light piping. PRID works really well even sitting on my table right now there's no direct light on her but I can still see her eyes light up. FE looks a little dead unless I shine a flash light directly in there.

4. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Read my post. I never mentioned the NYCC redeco.

I'm talking about the SHOW and FE deco. Pink and blue look awful. The PRID is better because it uses silver instead of pink.

On the PRID it isn't, but the FE's face is weird.

This is also true.

5. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I did read your post. What difference does it make if you said NYCC or not. You said pink, that is the pink one.

6. SPLIT LIP

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Um, everything? You accused me of talking about the NYCC one, I told you I wasn't. The difference is you mis-understood me and wrongly implied I didn't read the thread title.

Now you're trying to double-back and imply I said something I quite clearly did not to try and cover up that you didn't understand what I was saying.

I wasn't talking about the pink one. I simply mentioned pink. BOTH FIGURES HAVE PINK. But the NYCC version has no blue on it.

Which was my point, that blue and pink don't look good, hence me saying the PRID version is more appealing. It is pink-free. There's three figures of Arcee, the pink and white NYCC version, the pink and blue FE, and the silver and blue PRID.

Never once did I ever imply the NYCC version, in fact, my wording would make no sense if that were true.

7. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    SaberPrime and SPLIT LIP, I think I see where the confusion lies. As SaberPrime mentioned he/she is colorblind, he/she may have no idea that the FE Arcee has pink detailing.*
    Therefore, when SPLIT LIP mentioned pink, SaberPrime assumes he could only mean the NYCC version.

*Im no expert on colorblindness, nor do I know much about different degrees or what colors/shades/etc SaberPrime can see or not, or differentiate between... This just seemed to be the likely culprit for confusion after reading the entire review and the conversation that followed.

8. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

This... What pink detailing? They both look blue and silver. Unless you're talking about the NYCC version I don't see any pink on these.

By the way, color blindness is pretty rare for women so you could of just assumed I was a man... which I am.

9. Sideways77

Sideways77 #1 flareup simp

News Credits:
    I think I like the RiD better, but the FE does do things better.

I prefer the larger legs on the FE, compared to the kinda thin legs on the RiD. I also like how the arms are jointed. But overall, I prefer the RiD for its screen-accuracy.

10. jametron

jametron Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE! Taste Kittens…

News Credits:
    The PRiD is blue, black and silver yes. The FE is (a significantly darker shade of) blue, black and silver too. But the FE also has a small bit of pink detailing. Beneath her big silver spiked "knees" are 2 pink stripes on each leg, wrapping from the sides to the front. Also, on her head, outlining her silver face are 2 pink stripes, one on each side (along the curvature of her "cheekbones"). I'm assuming these 2 areas may appear as simply more silver to you, but they are in fact pink.

Duly noted, I didn't know that. :) 

11. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

I looked again after you told me where to find them. They don't look any different than any of the other silver paint. PRID has the same details painted, I'm assuming actually silver rather than pink that just looks silver to me.

Also I did point out the blue. For some reason when I've seen her on video or in pictures they looked the same, maybe because of the lights on her but seeing it in person I can see it's a darker blue. Though you said significantly darker and half the time I barely notice it. Just happen to notice when I was actually comparing them in hand but even sitting side by side on my desk I can't see it which is a little odd. Again I think that's partially dude to the lighting.

Also odd fact about the blue, I'm only really calling it that because I was told it's blue but that's not even what color I'm seeing. I actually can't see blue at all. If I hadn't been told ahead of time what color she actually was I would of gone on stating that she was purple just like I thought the pink details were silver. I didn't point out they were there because I wasn't told about them ahead of time so I just went on assuming they were the color I was seeing.

Really off topic but I keep looking over at Blight and realizing that I never bothered to find out what color he actually is. I would like to assume it's suppose to be dark blue and sky blue but Hasbro has put feminine colors
    on male characters in the past so it could just as easily be purple and pink which are the colors I'm actually seeing. The only thing I really know about are the yellow details which they all share and looks like a light green to me.

If you're wandering about the science behind it, it's because of that whole XX or XY thing. The color blindness gene is actually carried threw the X chromosome. Men only have one X so if they have the color blindness gene they will be color blind. Women will either have the gene in an active X chromosome or a dormant one so they have a 50/50 chance of actually being color blind. Even though they can see color they still carry the gene in that dormant X and can pass it onto their kids. My grandpa on my mom's side was also color blind so she has the gene but isn't color blind herself.

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The pink on FE Arcee is pretty subtle actually. It's more like a rose-tinted silver than a full-on pink like the NYCC toy plastic, or the details on the show model.

(at least to my eyes)

13. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Banned

That would explain why I can't see it. Though I've never seen the pink on the show model either. I've just heard them talking about it on the podcast. Apparently it comes and goes between episodes. My guess is it was never there at all but people are seeing different things reflected in her windshield bits. Maybe the windshield has a slight pink tint to it that's easier or harder to see depending on the reflection which is what people are actually seeing.