Heavy/Scratch: TF: Prime deluxe Airachnid upgrades (Shapeways)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by fakebusker83, Jul 20, 2012.

1. fakebusker83

fakebusker83 Radicon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    UPDATE December 10, 2012: This project has been put on indefinite hold due to many, many pragmatic reasons. Sorry!

CAVEAT: PIECES SHOWN ARE NOT FINAL AND ARE STILL EXPERIMENTAL. MAKE NO ASSUMPTIONS.

Hi guys, for now I'm just going to share some of my recent experiments with the Airachnid figure. Awesome, awesome character. Shitty, shitty toy. I can't even understand how such a simple to create character could have gone so wrong. I mean, the visual cues like canopy shoulders, tail fin legs are all there so it should be obvious how it should have been designed.

Nevertheless, I'm on a mission to enhance this figure, so here I go.

First off, I did 2 variants of possible rotor -> spider leg replacements. The first is made to be thinner and proportionally accurate, and the legs can be transformed into a tri-rotor arrangement.

Unfortunately the thinness became a liability as the legs can't pose at all, which doesn't say much about their ability to support Airachnid's weight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the second variant, I made them (and their joints) thicker. These seem to work better for posing and supporting weight. Unfortunately, the joints are so tight that 2 of them broke :( 

Also, for this variant I did a less accurate 6 rotor arrangement. This will be changed in a later version. And surprise surprise, they can support Airachnid's weight even with just 4 of them :3
    Balancing is the key.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The other drawback to this version is that overly thick legs don't look like rotors at all...
    Some compromises have to be made for functionality. But there is an upper limit on how thick I can make those rotors without having them look bigger than the body itself.

Update September 8, 2012

Alright, here's a little progress report. I had been trying to improve the arms of Airachnid, and also experimented with modifying her neck for better posability...

For the neck I made a replacement with a double joint so that she can tilt her head forward, but I'm sad to say the whole concept didn't work as the huge canopy behind her head is still as restrictive as ever. It serves you better to dremel off the chair backrest behind her head and modify the balljoint socket for a wider range of movement. I'm still deliberating if I should create a replacement lightpipe piece to serve that purpose.

Now for the forearms! These new ones are much, much better than what we get on the stock figure (which really doesn't say much, lol). The upper, lower arms are ball jointed, the wrist is double ball jointed and her hands can hold onto 5mm pegs. Also, I made it possible for the arm to flatten down into her chopper mode, but unfortunately there are still uncomfortable gaps that break the vehicle's silhouette. There is simply too much mass in these new arms to fit onto the sleek alt-mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hence, for my next steps I will be doing a few things:

- Reduce length of arms (they are too long now in comparison to torso)
    - Flatter arm panels for sleeker silhouette
    - Reduce size of hands

Also, I am still working on those rotor legs but I haven't sent out my test order yet. We'd see how it goes in a few weeks.

And on a totally separate tangent, Mythbusters have proven you can indeed polish a turd.

Until next time!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Please please please make her better arms. :D 

Also... why dont you make the legs accordion over themselves? Like instead of folding themsideways, have them fold over onto themselfs using henge joints. Then place a balljoint near the tip of the rotor "so the claw can rotate" and at the base.

3. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

I'm so in regardless. And let me be counted among those that do not care about helicopter mode. Give me a good spider and the rest can go hang.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ichnach

ichnach Predacon

Looking good already! I was hoping someone would make a set like this. Any chance of making a set of 6 legs that are longer like on the show that don't turn into rotors? Copter mode is stupid to me, but if there was a set of 6 legs, so she had 8 appendages, for just a spider mode I would bite in a heartbeat.

5. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    You are a brave soul to attempt to improve her!

Looks great, can't wait to see more progress. :D 

6. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Looking good so far FB. I do also hope you take a stab at replacing the arms.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    I love this upgrade! :thumb  So far they both lok good but I really don't care if the support her in her spider mode. Just as long as they look good that's enough for me. :) 

Are you thinking of doing her arms next? They are in need for some improvements!

8. sh4d0w dweller

sh4d0w dweller Well-Known Member

looks amazing it might fix her all together

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    As valiant an effort this is, unless you do an upgrade to replace literally every single piece of her, it'll be like sprinkles on a turd.

10. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy shit

they look like crap as rotors, but as spider legs they look 1000000000000x better than the ones it comes with. Unfortunately, the rest of the figure is still shit.

11. closetrat

closetrat Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like the 2nd set - they look enough like rotors for me.

The only way to make them thinner would be to make them out of something like aluminum - so no worries there...

12. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    As much as I love this, I still think it sucks since there were already working on this. The guys that make the Megatron cannons

13. Arashistorm

Arashistorm Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    this is f*ckin awesome. I still need to find her in stores (as well as vehicon @.@), but this will be a definite buy. Like others have mentioned, if you could make some super awesome arms (dont even have to work for her transformation), that'd be even better! Keep up the good work!!

14. Unicron9

Unicron9 Chaos Bringer 9

Thank you FB. I am now willing to buy this figure.

15. Notilator

Notilator Xenomorph4

This has got to be the most complex stuff you've done so far, I love how the wings are actually the folded up legs, it's quite ingenious engineering if I do say so my self :D 

16. reluttr

reluttr Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Would it be possible to make a replacement balljoint/light piping part without the chair?

17. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since they're already pretty thin as is... and shapeways plastic isn't the strongest around... I'd say you probably did the best that could be done.

Either version looks pretty good for Bot and Spider Modes. I'm sure many folks wouldn't care too much about the Heli mode (even if that's the only thing that's good about her toy ironically) so thick rotors is probably a minor issue for most.

Heck, I'm sure we'll see more mods like what Cheetimus did to his Airachnid a while back in that the Heli mode is *completely* sacrificed to make a decent Spider mode. And with these legs... that mod will look very, very good. (Also more show accurate since she rarely used the Heli mode)

18. Anti Spark

Anti Spark It'S DUB Or Nothing!

News Credits:
    My GAD!

So good!

19. Megatron31

Megatron31 I Belong to Nobody!

Ebay:
    Ariel I think you have outdone yourself

20. anikenvader

anikenvader Stuff & Things

News Credits:
    One question, the 2nd is referred to to have 6 rotors, but only 4 are shown? There are 2 little clips, are there going to be 2 more that clip on to pose that AREN'T for her to stand on the new rotor legs? I'm really digging this and will more than likely get everything made for Airachnid.