TF Prime Deluxe Airachnid Pictorial Review

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by pingth, May 30, 2012.

1. pingth

pingth Autocon

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Here's a pictorial review of the TF Prime Deluxe Airachnid.

Front, side and rear pictures in alt mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This figure got a nice helicopter alt mode. And here a picture with her twin canon weapons attached:

[​IMG]

The cockpit glass can be opened revealing the cockpit within which is nice and it is part of the transformation process as well:

[​IMG]

There is a nice and subtle decepticon molded insignia at the front of the helicopter.

And the front, side and rear pictures of the figure in robot mode:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Basically this figure has hands like those of TF Prime deluxe Soundwave, with holes in the palms of the hands, to hold her twin cannon / blade weapons. The paint apps on the weapons is quite nicely done.

[​IMG]

I can't remember if this pair of weapons are actually being show accurate, I don't have the impression of seeing that. The twin weapon is nice but not so much on how the way the figure is made to hold it.

The figure has got a nice head scuplt though with very limited articulation due to the kibble at the back of the head and again, there is a nice decepticon molded insignia at the chest.

[​IMG]

Even though this figure is on ball joints at legs, due to the legs being thin and the kibble at the back, the articulation on the legs is very poor. There isn't many positions which you can make the figure stands on its own. And I think this can be the major drawback for this figure. The articulation on the arms fare better than its legs but the range of motion is still rather poor compared to other TF Prime deluxe figures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The triple blade of the helicopter sort of forms the spider legs for Airachnid but it is a rather poor representation of it. I guess the good news is that the copter blades can be removed from the main body of the figure, so it is as if like Hasbro telling the third party that they can come in and help to make a better copter blades to form some nice spider legs for this figure and that will be something I'll look forward to enhance this figure with poor articulations!

[​IMG]

And here is Airachnid with her arch enemy, Arcee:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And she was fighting Soundwave before in one of the episode when she wanted to take over the position of Megatron

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Conclusion:

I can't say that I don't recommend this figure because as a collector, this is one of the prominent character that appears in the show, but in terms of figure itself, it has got really poor articulations especially on the legs. The copter blades can definitely be improved upon to give her some nicer spider legs but it was not done for this figure for its price point perhaps. And due to the legs being thin and poorly articulated, the poseability suffers. The paint apps are fine for this figure, with mainly black and purple kind of colour scheme which is true to the black widow kind of look. Besides that, I guess the other thing which I can give credit to is its nice helicopter alt mode. By the way, the helicopter does not have landing gear but it didn't bother me that much. This figure is short packed in wave 4, so it is not going to be easy to find it during this wave but I believe there are going be more of this figures in wave 5 & 6, so hopefully it should not be a problem for every fans who want to get hold of one. For this figure with poor articulation, I think one should be just enough already.

2. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

That thing is a piece of poop. But I like how she looks with Arcee. That's why I'll buy her.

The bad articulation is SUCH a shame. I was hoping for Arcee levels of articulation so I could pose them epicly brawling. Now I'll only be able to do basic stuff. :( 

3. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Third party rotors/spider legs and some paint will do this figure major justice.

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    That's a very boring helicopter.

Since the cockpit opens and has a little seat I really wish there was some figure to ride in it, whether it be one of the humans or a toy-only Targetmaster-esque minion. A tiny Igor-spider bastard that turns into some medieval handheld torture device would be perfect. As it is it has no practical use and hinders the design.

5. Maverick Hunter Christian

Maverick Hunter Christian Choke on that, causality!

News Credits:
    This toy. Such a goddamn shame.

6. MisterFanwank

MisterFanwank Toy Industry Analyst

News Credits:
    Ugh. Hasbro's photoshopped pictures gave me some hope, but I kind of knew she would turn out like this. I'll still get her for the off chance she'll surprise me, though.

7. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    Still going to get her despite the flaws because aside from the Commander Class figure coming out Airachnid's figure right now may be the only one of her. Hopefully their would be a better one coming in the future.

8. Vector Squidma

Vector Squidma Smalltime Casual

News Credits:
    I've been pretty lenient on the PRID figures so far (SO excited to get my mitts on PRID Bulkhead), but this is just...urgh. The thing that kills her for me is those horrible blocky panels on her arms and legs. They took a sleek, sexy character model and turned it into something that looks like it came from a playstation 1 game. I'll probably still end up getting it for the sake of completion, but this is by far the worst looking figure in the line so far IMO.

9. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I'll be passing on this unless I happen to find her during a big sale. I just can't believe how badly Hasbro screwed her up, it's like they weren't even trying with this one.

10. Shadowbreaker

Shadowbreaker \/ /\

News Credits:
    She doesn't look horrible, but could've been better.

But man, this thing has an insignia, and a molded one at that. Have we seen any insignias on any previous PRID Deluxes? I know we haven't seen molded insginias in years.

11. GreednGluttony

GreednGluttony grumpy smurf

me no want

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    'Sa maybe. That's all she gets from me.

I normally snap up Prime Decepticons and fembots without much thought. I don't even mind that they couldn't pull off a triple-change. But she looks like she's wearing a hoodie, and the designers essentially seem to have abandoned model accuracy AND posability. I know that these character models are tough to do justice to, but sheeeesh.

13. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    This is one case where I definitely think this character ought to be a voyager to take the spider legs into account. The hindered mobility is a huge disappointment for me.

Can a human alliance human fit in the cockpit?

14. Ultrawave

Ultrawave Hey look, I have a title

News Credits:
    I hope the Cyberverse version just turns into a spider, that way we get the spider mode.

15. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This poor toy seems to be begging for a do-over. Shame it seems unlikely to ever get one.

I do kinda like it in a limited way. Head sculpt looks pretty, and the little sculpted 'con symbols are nice too.

Last edited: May 31, 2012
  16. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Haters gonna hate, but this figure's giving me some nice boners, and she'll easily be a must buy for me. Like, I still think the hands look ******ed, and its by far from a "perfect" representation, but the 3 issues I have (spider legs, hands, backpack behind her head) will probably be relatively easy fixes, and everything else looks great to me.

17. TCracker

TCracker おもちゃは今とても暑いです

News Credits:
    Underwhelming to say at least. But ~sigh~, I will still get her for the sake of completing the cast.

18. barrelks

barrelks Captain Funtastic

News Credits:
    My thoughts as well. I'll get her, but it does look pretty plain compared to some of the rest.

Thanks for the pics OP.

19. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Oh for sure. Major props to Pingth for the early look, especially with pics as nice as those. :) 

Also, how much would something like this be to get to a Canadian nerd? I have pretty much no knowledge as to prices in that area or how much shipping crap this way costs, so hopefully someone does.

20. StarLurker

StarLurker Munky Mania

Ebay:
    It's toys like this and Knockout and the fact that I'll probably never get FE Prime or Bulkhead or a silver Voyager Megatron that make me want to quit this series. In fact, I do quit. At least on deluxe and Voyager scale.

If this figure were Cyberverse scale, it would be fine. But there's no excuse of any of this as a deluxe. The backback could have been used to make better limbs. The arms look like Animated Activator Bumlebee's. And there's no articulation. Where is the salvation? Well it's got good colors and copter mode is decent, but that's not what you are here for.

I've already spent approx 100 on deluxes including FE stuff. And with the future looking like this, where the figures look like they were designed to be on a smaller scale or by some first-timer who hates his job... I feel stupid for getting involved in it. Somehow surrounding a bunch of decent toys with this crap makes the whole thing feel like a waste to me.

Here's to hoping they release a decent Cyberverse figure for this character.:drunk