TF Prime Cyberverse Commander Starscream

Discussion in 'Transformers Feedback & Reviews' started by Creaky, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Another one for you here.

Out of the three Commanders I've gotten (Megatron, Starscream and Bulkhead) Starscream is the worst. He's not terrible, but he has a few flaws that make him one to pick up later, rather than rushing out to grab him.

Vehicle mode is a pretty good representation of the alt-mode from the show. The toes stick up, which breaks the lines somewhat, but at this scale it can't really be helped. The rear end of the jet doesn't really peg together, either. On the flip side, the plane mode is a bit less undercarriage heavy than the Deluxe First Edition Starscream, although there is still a presence there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Transformation is a breeze. The end result is this:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

His form is pretty close to the show model, the only real exceptions being the positioning of the wings and the fact that he has half a plane strapped to each of his arms. He's not the first Transformer to have done this, and he won't be the last, but overall it's really not bad.

Trouble is - his wings make him back heavy. And his feet? Well...

[​IMG]

In the Deluxe, the unusual feet design allowed Starscream to stand pretty well - the opposite happens here. To give you an example of how tricky he is to get balanced - most of this review was shot with him leaning against a wall. Hence why I didn't manage to get a lot of pics (at least ones that turned out well enough to show). If you don't pose him, he can manage to get stable enough provided you don't breathe in his general direction, but it's all quite disappointing.

Like his comrades in the Cyberverse line, he comes with a translucent plastic weapon. Two in fact, which almost makes up for the disappointments.

[​IMG]

What I particularly like about it is how well it matches his animation model's blaster. It also has a missile chilling out on top, which is a nice detail. Sadly, the figure only has three places to put the weapons - on his forearms, in his hands or under his wings. I wish he had some more alternatives, to really make the most of the weapon sharing gimmick.

He can still manage to pull off some cool poses, and when you start giving him other weapons he starts overcoming his flaws.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall, I think he's a decent figure, although he has issues. You shouldn't really have to brace a figure on something, or have a flying stand to get it to do stuff the other figures in the line can do easily. If you can pick him up on sale at some point, or if you have all the other commanders and want to finish the set then he's probably worth your time. At the price I payed I'm relatively happy with him, mostly because his robot mode does look quite accurate and he has two cool weapons.

[​IMG]
    "I, Starscream am your new leader!"

[​IMG]
    "Ahem." This won't end well.

[​IMG]
    See?

EDIT: Replaced all pictures with ones that don't suck. :D 

Next up, Bulkhead!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Not bad at all! The balance issue is sad, but I think the aesthetics and overall build of the figure make up for it.
    Looking forward to Megatron and Bulkhead reviews.

3. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Aye, at this size I can overlook flaws. Even Cyberverse's Shockwave problems.

4. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    Megs review futher down the page, I'm re-taking Bulkhead's photos, they're even fuzzier than these. :lol 

Took a quick side photo to show the heavy back kibble, as I managed to get him standing on the desk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Starscream's nightmares are real.

5. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    Hmmmm, not terrible but also not a "must buy" like Bulkhead and Megatron. I'll pry pick Screamer up when I have nothing else to pick up at the time.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    The massive forward section and legs on top of the jet kinda ruins it for me, but that robot mode isn't bad save the arm kibble. I love how these are becoming more and more like undersized scouts rather than oversized legends.

7. World Prime

World Prime Za Warudo!

Ebay:
    Looks OK, but I probably won't be getting this one. Does he have an elbow joint? It doesn't look like he can bend his elbows in the pics. It's a shame about the hand area, cause the robot mode looks good aside from the tips of the jet mode sticking out.

Some more pics would be appreciated. Maybe try having more light?

8. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Not too terrible, but definitely the worst of the first four Commander figures. I was going to get him and Bulkhead first, since I figured Prime and Megs will be the more plentiful ones, but I might wait on him.

9. Creaky

Creaky King of Puppies

News Credits:
    The other two in particular feel much more like scouts than legends. I hope this is something that continues.

He does have an elbow joint hidden away in the giant plane halves on his arms.

Re-taken the photos. :D 

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  10. Neo-Primus

Neo-Primus Scraplet

You can separate his fore arms from his cockpit section to give him proper arms, also his feet can rotate so that in jet mode they form into a sleaker looking fuselage :D .

The instructions however don't show either of these things so you just have to play with him to discover them lol

Crappy picture time

[​IMG]

11. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    That's cool that you can give him proper arms. I also like him a lot better with his wings out to the sides like that. I continue to marvel at how awesome these Commanders are!

12. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    The FE Starscream is much better, but that is to be expected. I still like how this Commander looks though. Anyone have a picture that shows Starscream and Optimus Prime together for a size comparison?

13. Neo-Primus

Neo-Primus Scraplet

Appologies for crappy focus again lol

[​IMG]

14. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Got him today. He's awesome, and I was even more pleased with him when I discovered the two things Neo-Primus noted above. Also I was quite happy to see his Tech Specs more accurately reflect him than the ratings he's been given since ROTF's line.

15. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    No need for apologies, since the picture was able to get the job done. :)  Thank you for taking it.

I can see all four Commanders (I still haven't seen Megatron or Bulkhead yet), and their comparison to the smaller Cyberverse figures. I have one little Cyberverse figure (Vehicon), since I saw him at TRU and figured "Well, I'll own at least ONE TYPE of Vehicon this way." lol

Now I wish that I bought more, since it's popular. I'll see if I can get lucky again. I am definitely buying these though, since the size is nice (plus the price should be as well).

16. Firestorm

Firestorm Red Mage in Training

Just bought Prime, Starscream, and Bulkhead.

Starscream is probably the weaker of the three IMO. But he is far from a bad toy. His head may not turn like the other two can, but he still has a good range of articulation. He looks awesome for a cyberverse figure. No regrets about picking him up at all.

17. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    I think he's better than some have made him out to be. He's not as good as Megatron, but for me he's better than Optimus. Purely because he looks so much like his onscreen character in both modes.He doesn't have the articulation of Prime, although due to his transformation, he can look up which can give him some nice hunched poses.

My major gripes is that rotating the feet doesnt do a whole heap to make them less conspicuous is jet mode, and the front halves dont peg together particularly well, leaving a gap down the nosecone.

18. Neo-Primus

Neo-Primus Scraplet

I don't know, when I rotate the feet you can barely notice them, you have to rotate them 180 degrees from his robot mode to get then to fit a little flusher :D 

19. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    Tried that and it didn't look a whole heap better IMO plus it made his tailplane no longer align properly.

The best way I've found is to transform him with his feet around the right way, then as the last step of transformation, rotate them 45 degrees.

[​IMG]

It still sticks up a bit, but I can live with it. I'm going to need to find out why the nose doesnt join together propery though. These pics show just how bad that is.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• ss.jpg
      ss.jpg
      File size:
      36.4 KB
      Views:
    • ss2.jpg
      ss2.jpg
      File size:
      24.8 KB
      Views:
  20. Yaujta

Yaujta Broken. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Picked this figure up today. The ONLY thing that bugs me is that the fuselage takes some pressure to go completely closed in jet mode. Not a big deal, but still a deal.
    Mine stands perfectly fine. He's back heavy, but if you mess with the feet a bit he balances quite well.