TF: Prime, another Animated?

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by NGW, Oct 24, 2010.

1. NGW

NGW Rawr

News Credits:
    I'm seeing a lot of similarities between the two series'. I mean both had premiers late into the year (November for Prime, December for Animated), both had their toylines held back due to movie fever. This struck a big blow to Animated, what with having a show but no toys, and then having toys but no show. This probably was a big part of what led to Animated's untimely end. While I doubt Prime will suffer quite the same way seeing as its being aired on Hasbro's own channel, I do worry about the show-toyline gap.

2. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    What led to Animated's untimely end was Hasbro deciding to cocreate a channel that was a direct competitor to Cartoon network

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  3. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

That wording makes me want to believe that they'll air Animated on the Hub. Damn that wording.

4. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Proud No Ma'amer!

Animated set the bar pretty high again after it got set so low from the unicron trilogy shows and some of the toys. Prime has some big shows to fill i think but i like the cross between the animated look and the movieverse look and hope that when the toyline starts it holds true to the look of the character models the way animated did.

5. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

I'm hoping Prime doesn't make every Decepticon purple like Animated did.

6. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    I have yet to see any evidence that because toys launched later that overall sales suffered in any meaningful way. The reality is that a large number of shows and tv series launch WITHOUT merchandising support, which come AFTER the show has proven a success.

Right now, Hasbro wants Prime to survive on its own merits, not propped up by toy sales.

I also don't feel Animated is a fair comparison to how Prime will turn out because of the whole situation with Hasbro going off and making their own channel. Animated wasn't canned for lack of success, it was canned because Cartoon Network didn't want to promote a competitor's products (which is what Hasbro became when it decided to do Hub).

7. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I've been calling "TF Prime" by "animated G-2" for months now. as it appears the TF Prime toy/cartoon designs look very similar to animated & are designs taken to the next level.

I personally didn't like the animated cartoon or toy designs that much. as both appeared to be aimed for a much younger kids vieweing/buying age.

Most of the time I do kitbashes & parts swaps. I've taken apart a few animated deluxes & bigger sized toys. on close inspection the toys were made super cheap & short cuts were taken to the extreme. the inner toys were so simplified.

I've taken apart a few Rid,AEC,live action movies TF toys. most of them are extremly complex designed toys. with tons of inner springs,latches & so forth. there doesn't appear to be that many short cuts in designs/toy enginerring taken compared to the animated toys.

Even if I didn't take apart a few of the TF animated toys & personally inspect the toy engineering. I really didn't like the over-all sculpts of the animated toys. most animated toys has mis-proportioned limbs & body parts. I wasn't a fan of the EXTREME smiley faces some animated toys had.

8. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    In Quality: I hope so.

In lasting more than a year: I hope not.

9. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I saw the title and thought this:

Animated had Prime, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Bulkhead, and a motorcycle (Prowl)

TF Prime has Prime, Ratchet, Bumblebee, Bulkhead, and a motorcycle (Arcee). And Cliffjumper, but he's not part of the initial cast.

Coincidence? I think not.

Now let's see Bulkhead in the third movie to keep the running cast.. :lol 

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    *thinks*

Uh, what? Neither Megatron nor Starscream were purple, Shockwave wasn't purple until the very end, and Blackout, Spittor and Oilslick both had no purple. And everyone else had purple originally. (except for Lugnut who was an original character)

In fact, there's only Blitwing (originally purple) Blackarachnia, Shockwave (for three episodes, and who was originally purple) Lugnut, Strika (ditto) and Cyclonus (ditto) who were purple. Hardly "every" Decepticon.

11. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'd say Starscream was lavendery purple.

12. Wollstone

Wollstone Banned

Hyperbole isn't meant to be taken literally.

But you more or less proved my point, except Starscream was purple. Too many Decepticons were purple. It actually made an unnecessary repaint (Atomic Lugnut) better than the original because he was no longer purple.

13. megapork

megapork Cheese

Whats Wrong With Purple? WFC Had A lots Of Purple (and Violet?) and No ones Complaining about It. TF:A Was A Show That Was Meant For Kids, KIDS, What Makes A Bad Guy for Kids Is An Evilish Color Like Decepticon Purple, A Shade Of Purple Now Available At Swindle's Paint Shop.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    It's hard to tell sometimes.

No he wasn't He was marroon and dark gray with black. (though to be fair, the black had it's leading edges highlighted dark blue/purple) Which fits in with the "dark, cool-toned colours" but still isn't purple. Regardless, less than half the total Decepticon cast was primarily purple. That's hardly "every."

And purple's kinda the Decepticon colour, y'know? They're evil, and the show being so artistic with it's designs has all the good guys bright, warm colours and the bad guys dark, cool colours.

15. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Really? Because I'm pretty sure it was the movie franchise's strong popularity that killed Animated.

As far as Prime being a new Animated, I wouldn't bank on it.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    No, it wasn't. Movie and Animated got along fine for a while. While it may have been a factor, it wasn't the cause. Animated could've gone on if the above didn't come up.

Of course, that's a big "if." The HUB was inevitable, it seems.

I'm glad I don't get my financial advice from you.

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I think Prime will try and emulate Animated's successes. The animation style is similar, as is the human character design. I bet the feel will be pretty close. We'll see.

18. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I just love when grown men complain about kiddy Transformers. Hello? It's a children's franchise. :lol  I mean, urm, "I hate when my children's playthings are aimed at children!"

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I just hope it doesn't try too hard, otherwise it'll just come across as "like Animated."

20. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Haw, I see what you did there.

I meant to say that Prime's looks may have taken a few queues from Animated, but it's not really going to be Animated. It's going to be Prime.