TF Packaging vs. Price

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by n_tel_ekt, Sep 3, 2008.

1. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Just curious. Packaging seems to be at least a minor factor in purchases (Ive seen "I'll wait to see the packaging before I decidie to buy this" more than once.) I know many of us are MISB'ers (in which packaging is a MAJOR factor. Packaging is always a hot topic when new lines come out, etc. (i.e. the groans about generic Sunstreaker packaging during initial Universe 2.0) Character bio's are important to many of us as well.

On the other hand, Price is a major issue too. Some have commented about the general price hike, and the general (seemingly) lower QC as of late.

My question is: Would you sacrifice one for the other???

Personally, bio's arent that important (I have an overactive imagination, so I can do that part on my own... Thought they are much appreciated). And Im not a MISB'er so while I really enjoy box art, I end up throwing it away...

I wouldnt mind buying TF's if the came in a freakin brown paper bag!!! If it meant cheaper prices or better quality, or allowed for more molds to be released for a line, or larger molds, etc...

I mean, a paper bag is extreme but, you get my drift, lol. I just feel that sometimes money is wasted on spiffy packaging just to attract you to buy it(the toy itself should do that)

Im sure MISB'ers are all "WTF are you talkin about"... I feel ya, and I know its the package that reels you in when your just a parent browsing for a toy for your kid, but this is just coming from a guy that, after purchase, mainly only cares about actually playing with them and having fun.

2. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I like the packaging designs overall, but what bugs me is that lately, I feel, either the toys have gotten smaller or their making the packaging bigger. If anyone has bought Voyager Prime, then you know what Im talking about. He is the first time in a long time that I felt I paid too much for what I got. There just was so much space in that damn box.

3. Xhairs

Xhairs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i would rather have a solid awsome TF fig then a awsome killer pakage. the toy is allways more important to me.

4. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Yea, the Animated packaging is what made me post this... Voyager Prime just looks tiny in his box, as does Bulkhead (and pretty much all the Voyagers from Movie line)... Its kinda weird considering how compact the box version and the bubble version of the Alternators packaging was. For Alternators, the toy was the showcase, not the packaging. Also, 20th Anny MP Optimus Prime's packaging was also fairly compact considering the size of the toy (which was also the showcase, instead of fancy packing).

5. Astrotrain52

Astrotrain52 Former Green Kool-aider

Packaging designs are cool. But, the amount of secure-ers (twist ties, specifically shaped plastic and cardboard) could be reduced. Takara doesn't have as many frustrating twist ties as Hasbro does.

I also think the packaging could be a bit smaller. There is too much empty space in the voyager and up boxes.

6. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My sentiments exactly. I don't care if the figure was packaged in plain brown box. If it saved me a few bucks I'd be all for it. Only The only packaging I save is from the Masterpiece line and the busts I own (to prevent breaking during transport).

7. dark69

dark69 BlackArachnia Terrorize!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i would like more toy for my money then box