TF names

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by OOSnake, Feb 11, 2012.

1. OOSnake

OOSnake Well-Known Member

Do transformers all take Earth designations? Becuase they're named all similarly most of the time to alt modes. Eg Kup or Hot Rod. Why?
    Is is (canonically) the nearest translation in English? Or is it just (actually) the writers not being able to think of cybertronian names?

Some are alright, like Optimus Prime and Megatron, they sound nothing like their alternate modes. Others are related to the job of their alt mode. eg Inferno, the fire truck, putting out infernoes

I just don't get it.

2. mrdecepticon

mrdecepticon Decepticon Leader

I was thinking about this before

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think it varies, some it's a literal translation of the name [someone like "Ironhide" for instance, that makes little sense, sounds like a clumsy translation for name, same goes for "Starscream"], an alias or name-of-war ["Brawl" for instance, sounds like a badass Nickname than anything else], or a full rename [Bumblebee, since Cybertron doesn't have Bees, Jazz too].

4. prime roller

prime roller introspective reflector

News Credits:
    I think some of you smart fellows, as fans, should develop a working Cybertronian language so we can start referring to our favourite characters in their real names.

And not just a matching symbol designation that corresponds to the English alphabet. Too easy and too unrealistic. I imagine it being more like Chinese with all the glyphs and whatnot; perhaps the more simple looking Cybertronian characters we see sometimes would be like the Japanese Katakana alphabet to designate lone words from other languages.

Get on it. I'm too busy.

5. Oracle_Aesir

Oracle_Aesir Outback is back

News Credits:
    Transformers just happen to have those names anyway (plus as seen in things like the pre-earth IDW stories, Kup still had a Pickup truck mode and Hot Rod was still a car with a hot-rod like engine, just Cybertronian in design)

6. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's not real, suspend disbelief. they (Hasbro) have made some comments about it briefly in stories before. I seem to remember one story where Jazz was telling someone how his real name is unpronounceable in English, so they just call him Jazz.

7. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Some characters certainly took on new names in Beast Wars, particularly Cheetor and Rattrap and, I think, Rhinox.

And there was an instance in the early Marvel comics (Man of Iron?) where Jazz tells a human his Cybertronian name is unpronounceable in English so to just call him Jazz.

There also was a recent thread here about names which was pretty interesting.

8. OOSnake

I was thinking that if I was a Beast Wars transformer, I'd be some sort of monkey, but I couldn't think of a name, then my brother said Orangutron. Which I though was awesome, so that's a name I'd call myself if I were in the beast wars.

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Warilla maybe? War + Gorilla. :) 

10. OOSnake

That's pretty good too.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I always thought it was a case of translation. What we think of as their "names" are simply the closest possible translation of the concepts/associations their names carry in the Cybertronian language. Or maybe translation/context simply isn't possible into human language, and they choose names for themselves that are either an approximation or a neo-christening to suit their newest form while communicating with humans.

How a Transformer might define himself, or be defined by his designators (let's face it, you don't name yourself in a lot of cases), may be a reflection of some defining trait, but that trait could be related to his physical appearance, attitude, abilities or aptitudes, or past accomplishments.

If you think of it like a nickname or a callsign, it all fits together a lot easier.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  12. LegendAntihero

LegendAntihero Banned

From what I read in the 2nd edition of IDW's original G1 comics reprint volume 1, the writer who came up with the name Optimus Prime wrote a list of names for every Transformer and the list got rejected save Optimus. Transformer names aren't terribly original because they have to sound cool. Also, Transformers fight a lot so they should have code names like in the military.

13. Hursticon

Hursticon Emissary of OZformers.

News Credits:
    Beast Wars used to baffle me in the beginning with their names, as I initially thought they were KOs until I took a closer look at the packaging :rolleyes: :tongue: , in that they were named after Animals (Usually) in a time where said animals hadn't been named yet or at least in English. :confused: 

It wasn't until during High School that I realised, upon reviewing the series, that as they'd travelled back in time said animals would've already been named in their own time; Oh the lack of observation of a child's mind... :lol