TF name rights question

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by ILoveDinobot, Jun 4, 2006.

1. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I am confused about the rights to names. I know that there was a thread about what names Hasbro had the rights to a few months ago. But what confuses me is that the for Hot Rod the Hard Hero bust made in 2002 has the name HotRod on it. Why couldn't they use that on the classics toys or the re-issues? Is it because Hard Hero is not Hasbro?But it still has the transformers logo on it. Is it because there is no space between the words Hot and Rod?

I put this thread in toyark because I am just wondering about the names on the toy boxes, as oppose to in the show.

2. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    It's most likely down to the same reason as the fact they can call him Hot Rod in the comics but not in the toy line. Matel has the rights to "Hot Rod" as a car, for Hot Wheels. Because they've got the rights to a toy named Hot Rod, Hasbro can't use it for a toy, especially not one that also turns into a car.
    However, Hard Hero made a bust, a statue. Not a toy, so its governed by different rules.

3. Sunstorm9119

Sunstorm9119 RC 1136

Ebay:
    Kinda on topic, Why is the Target Constructicon called Hightower instead of Hook? Did Hasbro lose the rights to that name too?

4. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Probably. Or it could just be that the Universe workers thought Hightower was a more interesting name than Hook.

5. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Can't remember the list off the top of my head, but there were at least a few names that Hasbro could have kept using, but dropped because they were too generic; I think 'Hook' might have fallen into that category, but would need to check the list again to confirm (wasn't that thread pinned at one point?).