TF Movie Sequel: Reign of Starscream (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lumpy, May 8, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, i got this today, and just sat down to read it...it starts out on cybertron, before the movie, before the movie prequel comic...ties into events from both as the story continues, basically just a retelling of everything that leads up to the end of the movie, but from starscreams perspective.

pretty interesting incite into movie starscream's mind, and he makes some damn good points about prime and megatron... also talks about barricade getting walloped and not reappearing, though his dispatching of is different then the movie adaptation comic...but whatever....

the art is really nice, and there's a sweet cameo by cybertronian prowl and cosmos, as well as ironhide in red. non-movie toys also pop up.

only thing i didnt like is that they didnt use starscream in the final attack run on megatron (if you dont recall, in the movie starscream takes out a few jets, then transforms to jet mode. next scene is a squadron of jets taking the final shots on megatron. i had always been under the belief that starscream was one of the jets. makes sense that he'd be a backstabber...)

barricade survives, and starscream heads back to the dam to find frenzy, who holds the key to starscream's victory...and thats the end of this issue...

all in all, a good solid issue though, and i cant wait for more and to see where else they take this, and who else might appear...

2. tusko

tusko Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Flickr:
    I like it.
    It was a good recap of the movie and establishes Starscream's priorities.

The art was good, good edits and production value.

3. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I got it at Botcon, thought the writer did an awesome, awesome job. The best movie-related comic I've read so far, and it's just getting started! I love how nearly all of the comic is actually recap but it's from the opposite POV we're shown in the movie, so almost all of it is new.

Oh, and is that Protoform COSMOS shown in that one scene with the Autobots as they take off from Cybertron?!

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, that's totally cosmos...

i hope tracks makes a cameo soon...

i also loved the nemesis and the ark showing up...and how they explain it that the transformers took the big ships around the galaxy, then just shot outta that to make planet fall...

5. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It was ok. Sucks that Wreckage (at least I think it was him) got killed so quickly. Also I thought all the movie recapping was kind of unnecessary. Should of started the story at the city battle and went from there IMO.

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While I agree with all of that I can see why they did what they did as "Reign of Starscream" begins basicly when Megatron leaves.

7. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    It was him, but he didn't get killed QUITE so quickly-- those couple of panels quickly recapped the Target-exclusive Decepticon comic prequel.

8. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Super Mod

News Credits:
    Were some of the panels direct copies of screengrabs from the movie? I saw that in the 5 page preview, and hoping it didn't make it into the book. Photo reference is good, but not when its copying the photo directly. This is a pet peeve of mine.

9. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    are you saying i traced? cause all i did was pause the movie and draw while sitting infront of the tv and draw what i saw.

10. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    No not traced man, I was asking if you got a screengrab, and copied it. Were you told to specifically draw scenes from the movie as they appeared in the movie?

11. markerguru

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    yes i was asked to draw them like they appeared in the movie. so i just paused the movie at the part that was asked for, and them sat in front of my tv and drew what i could make out, then using the turnaround reference i have, i filled in some of the stuff that i couldn't make out, but there are still some things that aren't correct, but no matter. i mean i've done my own take when i did the movie adapt, and that was before the movie came out.

12. Predakwon

Predakwon ...Green Lantern's light!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    How many issues is this?

13. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    That clears things up. I prefer it when artists do their own takes, but in this case I understand what you did. I am looking forward to this issue(haven't gone to my LCS this week).

14. Omega Supreme-1

Omega Supreme-1 Autobot Sentinel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Nice job on this one Alex, and Josh! I think this might qualify as a flawless issue, and I can understand why the storytelling is the way it is. After all, you can't assume that everyone who picks up the comic has seen the movie or remembers every detail of the film. I'm glad to see Barricade is still alive, and I hope that Recon Barricade makes a cameo. I'm guessing that Scorponok is dead in the IDW take of the movieverse, because of "some choose alternate forms-and barely live to see another cycle...". Also can one of you guys clear up whether that's Cliffjumper or a Red Ironhide?

15. Beastbot X

News Credits:
    Five. It think IDW is starting to realize that too often 4-issue stories seem a little rushed towards the end.

16. markerguru

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    um, it's sideswipe. or whoever i want it to be. didn't really think of who it was at the time. i just made a few random bots. some were in the script, the otheres were not. cliffjumper would look close to bumblebee, and ironhide is black.

17. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

Man you hit this one outta the park Alex. My bro doesnt read comics but when he saw your art he was really impressed.

This kinda makes up for the crappy job IDW did on Spotlight Grimlock.

18. MugenAutobot

MugenAutobot Well-Known Member

I have to read spoliers because my local shop can't keep this issue stocked!

19. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    LOL -don't worry Alex, that's what happens when you have teh mad skillz -people think you cheat.
    It happens to me all the time.

Actually, it has never happened to me.
    But if I were really good at something I bet people would think I was cheating.

20. markerguru

News Credits:
    Ebay:

i'm no pat lee....... wait i am. the real pat lee. hahahahaha. no, i'm not. i don't draw prime with boobs, that takes real talent that i wish never to get. :)