TF movie line

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Bryan, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

TFormers just posted that Hasbro said they're working on the movie line now, although no more details were given. I know everybody's already tried to guess at how that Bumblebee is gonna end up a working toy, but honestly, as long as they transform and they're not some sort of godawful 6"-8" non-transforming Marvel Legends-style figures, I think I'll be pumped.

2. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'd like to thank TFormers for stating the obvious as news :) 

You want a hear a secret? Most of the molds are already in their prototype stage! OMG FRONTPAGE!

Moving this to TFGD.

3. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

THERE'S A TRANSFORMERS MOVIE COMING OUT!?!?!? :eek:  :eek:  :eek: 

Gosh, I hope they make toys based on it.

4. UltraPrime

UltraPrime Lord of Macragge

I suspect, as with all movie toy lines, we will get several versions of characters. Prime and Megs walkie-talkies anyone?

5. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Better than reporting a "first look" at leaked in-packaging samples of toys that have already been found at US retail by members of other boards...

6. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, but my fears from the Bumblebee "model" we had a sneak peak at will be something like the Action Master's line. We get the "transformed" figure, who is highly articulated in robot mode and a spitting image of his movie self, and the vehicle mode seperate.

7. Longhaul53

Longhaul53 Guest

I sincerely doubt that Hasbro would do something like that. Action Masters' short run back in the day probably says a lot of things about how the company feels about that sort of product within the TF toyline. (see: failure) Those guys are aware of mistakes made in the past and seem smart enough to not tread on them again.

Your concern for the difficulty in making the toys as complex as they appear in the movie is understood, but i'm sure Hasbro and Takara-Tomy are putting their best foot forward. I'm just excited that we're going to see some new interpretations of the characters!!!

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Action Master Elites were cool! :( 

9. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I'm expecting them to be shell formers, with folded up alt modes hanging off their backs.

10. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I get a VERY strong feeling that the actual toys will be just thay. Shellformers, or where the alternate mode is very apparent and is literally a shell, is not appealing but would be the "cheap" way out of designing toys that are to be released in a year.

I hope, given the development time, they are direct adapations of the movie versions down to the level of articulation. I also hope, to appeal to the collectors, we get 1:24 scale versions of some of the movie characters.

I'd take a picture of me doing something embarasssing and post it on the internet should the "classic" Bumblebee get a scale version of his movie self, if transforms from the 1970s Camaro.

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    If Bumblebee is any indication of how intricate the TF designs are going to be, I honestly have no idea how they could possibly made a car transform into a good representation of what's on the screen. I'm thinking action masters too. Beast Machines transforming toys at best. Besides, we know the cast of transformers are small, you think they're going to release a toyline of just eight toys? I'm thinking six different figures of Prime and Megatron each, some of the Human characters as action figures, and MAYBE some voyager or ultra-sized transforming toys. I know I'm being pecimistic, but I just don't see how they can make it work. Prove me wrong, Hasbro...PLEASE prove me wrong.

12. blackwind

blackwind New Member

Ebay:
    Hey if they have a decent range on em I'll bite.

13. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Since this thread is about the toys, I thought I'd import most of my post here from the teaser thread.

The transformations of the logo, date and symbol are what got my attention and where I'm wondering about the future of the film. That is to say "IF" that's gonna be how the bot's change and the final sound the changing makes. (tho the sound is kinda like a bunch of trash cans bumping against each other)

If one were to look at that as what we are to expect, then the Bumblebee pic makes alot of sense. We are all use to 20 + years of moving, folding and fliping big chunks of parts around to make one toy into a robot. But if you think about things on a larger scale, that's not very realistic. (specially if you want your car to stand up into it's bot mode without jumping into the air first) It makes a certain amount of sense that the car parts would mostly fold up into themselves to allow the bot parts freedom of motion.

In a sense, there are two different transformations happening at the same time. 1) The vehicle parts are transforming into the armor/weapons/etc, and 2) The bot parts fold out to assume their normal proportions. Yes it's not the way our toys change or how it's been done over the years, but it's very clever and should be visually stunning to see when the movie is released.

Now how does this all reflect in the up coming toys you might ask since this would be impossible to do on a toy's scale? Well I can think of a couple besides the smaller toys we'll see transform in the traditional sense just because of the scale. Now, an Alt or Masterpiece style, well I can imagine a real cool way for that to work.

Think of the parts that make the car coming off and folding up on themselves to make the armor as one way which, like the movie still calls for the bot parts to be folded and fliped around to stand up ready to fight. Another way that things could work is for the carparts to break away from the armor parts to be kept on the side like the old G1 extra missiles of fists.

At least that's how I'd design them if they do transform like the teaser's logo.

14. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Despite only having seen the vehicle modes, and a paltry glimpse at Bumblebee, I think the transformation of the Transformers is going to take one thing into consideration that has NEVER been thought of before in a transforming toy; gravity.

Most of the G1 characters had a "weightlessness" to them, and a beguiling girth that wasn't an accurate representation of what they really were. For the movie I think they're going for realism, like with the Alternators line in the form of licensed vehicles, but taking it to the Nth degree with transformations working with physics.

I anticipate intricate, involving, but not overly frustrating (for the toys) transformations that require the character to push himself up off of the ground, or to transform quickly while flying before hitting the ground or maintain their natural vehicular flight mode.

Honestly, I'm getting with Vortex a very BM Obsidian type vibe to him where his helicopter blades will be above his robot mode head and with any of the "flying" Decepticons must abide to the laws of physics. That double-turret tank we've seen is likely going to be Megatron, and I think he'll probably be the best looking of the bunch in both modes. He won't be burdened by a visible interior.

For the movie line, and don't quote me on this, I think we'll see double packs such as a deluxe Optimus Vs. deluxe Megatron, battle damaged figures, human action figures and maybe human and Autobot sets where the human figure can sit in the Autobot's vehicle mode. I think for mainline toys we will see Alternators level of detail, and toys at all price points from $7.00 for human figures such as Spike, Carly, Sparkplug, etc to $40 supreme collector sets up to 1:18 in size with super detail and a scale version of the human figure.

15. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    ok, so if Hasbro, a toy company, designs a transformer it can be cool.

but if ILM designs a transformer to be realistic, suddenly people worry about it working as a toy and if it will even transform? PLEASE. they fact that they're making them realistic should make them easier to turn into toys since theres no space unaccounted for.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ... Only if the transformation doesn't 'cheat' in some way to get from one mode to the other, and also only if the transformation isn't so complicated that it could be replicated on a toy that isn't 1:1 scale. I think that what concerns folks, especially if they want transforming toys from the movie.

17. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

H P:

Who says they need to do that? Jazz's swan-dive
    seemed to work fine. Of course, G1 Jazz's toy design,
    like many other Diaclones, could very easily transform
    without removing all wheels from the ground. Where you get into trouble with physics is with bots who have wacky foldage and odd struts like G1 Inferno and Cybertron Clocker.

18. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Hecho en Argentina

News Credits:
    Actually I'm worried about the price. Because it the new toys have the same size as the Classic line then there is no trouble, for me at least. (remember the price difference in Argentina).
    But if the toys are bigger and with a bunch of details like the BT/Alt line then...I'm screwed.:D 

19. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I'll bet Alphie would go crazy for those.