TF Movie & GM

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Autobot_Goldbug, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Autobot_Goldbug

Autobot_Goldbug The REAL Goldbug

News Credits:
    Well so that's why there are mostly only GM cars in it.
    So the good guys are constantly breaking down and falling apart huh. :rolleyes2 
    I'm sorry but my experience with GM cars has not been good at all. Luckily I never owned one. Although I have had to rescue a few friends who did. Therefore I will never own one.

2. 35Inch M T

35Inch M T Guest

:throw 

Wow, thanks for sharing how little you know about GM...
    I'm curious, what was the last GM car you've owned?
    Anyone who's purchased GM RECENTLY knows they've done a 180 in terms of quality and reliability the past several years.

I'm sick of people still giving cheap jabs at GM. I guess ignorance dies hard.
    :horse: 

3. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    Not the best first post there, pal. You might want to try a little politeness next time.
    (unless, of course, you work for GM; your name, after all, is related to car tires)
    On topic:
    Hmm. That explains the abundance of GM vehicles we've seen so far. Good job they only make cars, and not aircraft too. Kind of daft to limit the vehicles like that, IMO.
    No, the Autobots are the good guys. They only transform into your cars. Pillock.

4. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Just remember, folks: if the post is from someone that just signed onto the boards in the last couple of months, it's usually best to ignore it.

That said, I do agree that the original poster's comment about GM quality is unfair and incorrect. I'm not a GM employee/stockholder or anything, and in fact, I'm still kinda mad at them for doing an advertising promotion with Sean Hannity (it's political, so I won't go into detail; PM if you're curious) but GM makes good vehicles. They're not perfect, but they are at least on par in quality with their competitors. They also happen to make some pretty cool cars.

I'd also like to point out that GM's exclusivity with the movie has been known for some time, though I did appreciate getting to read this article.

5. 35Inch M T

35Inch M T Guest

First post under this name, yes. I can't login to my original account, GL-Matrix...
    I don't need lessons on how to behave, but thank you for your concern. As far as I'm concerned, the moment he started bashing GM it becomes ON TOPIC and I'm free to post my feelings on the subject :thumb 

6. The Phazer

The Phazer Well-Known Member

GM won't exist within our lifetimes, and the US brand (where all the cars are taken from) performs STUNNINGLY badly internationally for a reason.

That reason being that everything they make has been beaten with an ugly stick.

Phazer

7. roadburner

roadburner Active Member

I have owned a GM product for most of my driving life and have had little to no problems with any of them. Good job GM on the product placement to promote.:thumb 

8. Exitspeed

Exitspeed Well-Known Member

Yea GM is no stranger to this. Watch the highway scene in Matrix Reloaded. Notice any similarities with the cars?

My father worked for GM for 26 years and retired last year. I bought brand new GM cars and they have been piles. He buys brand new every couple years and has constant problems. So much so, his next purchase may be a Toyota.

Though GM has made a few strides in the last year or two...they have a long way to go.

9. Thontor

Thontor Well-Known Member

this expains it all.. you can't have had much experience with GM vehicles since you've never owned one...

bailing out a friend or something doesnt really count

20 years ago maybe, yeah, GM cars sucked.. but the last few years, and expecially the next few, things are very different.

10. WWMEGATRON

WWMEGATRON Well-Known Member

For me it's not whether the TFs are American cars or Japanese. As long the cars look cool it's okay. This thread little does to make a point.

11. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I had a 99 Trans-Am a few years back and it held it's value really well. Now I own a Silverado and it has been a great truck. I think it is a good idea by GM getting involved in a toy line for future buyers.

12. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

1995 Pontiac Grand Prix SE. Yeah, I've had work done on it. I've had work done on every car I've owned. Big deal; it's still a good car.

I think it's pretty cool that the cars are GM. I've no problem with that. If I had any problem, it would be that they were all new and not various years. Who wouldn't want to see a transforming '65 Mustang?

I might think that the 'bot modes don't look as good as they could, but I hope to see a way-cool advertisement campaign that coincides with this film.

WAL

13. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Ah yes, Phazer the doom and gloomer. Thank you for you positive input yet again. I seriously doubt GM will go out of business. I have had nothing but GM and won't buy anything but, I have a 2002 Camaro z28 and it has been nothing but outstanding. Not a single issue. Not to mention the 2 others I had in high school and college that were older and, again they were nothing but outstanding.

Cars are a funny animal. Their quality and durability over time depends A LOT more on YOU the diver and how well you take CARE of your car. If you beat it and trash it, of course it will break down, if you take care of the car, and treat it like the 25K + investment YOU made, it will be better. Oh and for you people who will say, oh I do take care of it, I already call BS. the vast majority of drivers do not take care, the just floor it and change the oil occasionally. Flooring the car at every stop light, sign is not good for the car. It prematurely wears out engine parts, causing break down.

If you never OWNED a GM, then keep your opinions about them to yourself, you have no basis to make one. EVERYONE has a friend of a friend of a friend who has a story about how bad EVERY Car company is. Oh and not to mention Edmunds.com recently released the top 10 list of worse cars for reliability and No gm cars were on that list. I dont remember the order however these are the ones I remember, Mercedes, BMW, VW, Audi, Mitsubishi, chrystler, dodge and i dont remember the rest, I'd have to look up the article.

14. Trypitcon

Trypitcon No, I can't spell.

I'll jump on the GM bandwagon too. I've been around GM cars for a long time and haven't had any problems. And not to single FORD out but has that not been dubbed Fix Or Repair Daily? Look hard enough and you'll find negative feelings for all the major brands and equally find postive.

And in the interest of fair treatment, a variety of car makers would have maybe added that little bit of realism. In the G1 cartoon, Sky Spy went all over and found different makes and models to suit the robots needs. He didn't just stop at the first dealership closet to the ship.

But whatever, it's not my movie. When I come up with $200 Million I'll make it my way. :D 

15. piherculis

piherculis Look up once in a while

Interesting...
    So because it is difficult to broker with multiple car manufacturers, and because the director has a past history with GM, I postulate that if there is a sequel to the movie, that the line of vehicles will stay within the GM family on the condition that the director is the same. And it will depend on the success of the first movie for the director to have the option at the sequel. But if the first movie is unsuccessful, there may not be a sequel at all. Kind of a catch 22. Can anyone speculate on a scenario where there could be mix of vehicle makes and models?

16. .WAL.

.WAL. Banned

I drive freeway every day. I have a lot of miles on the car. Even tho I've recently had to have a head gasket replaced (and a fan / radiator in the past) I still can't complain. It's calleed an 11 year old car with around 200k miles plus. Now, why can I hold that against GM?

WAL

17. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    I'm happy to see some GM vehicles being in the spotlight in the TF movie. Out of 9 vehicles I've owned in my driving lifetime, 8 of them have been GMs. I currently own two GM vehicles and wouldnt own anything else for my own personal vehicle.

18. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    This conversation mirrors people's opinion on the movie. You know, the one that none of us have seen. It's pretty sad. To say that GM in general makes a crappy product is quite ignorant. There is no way a company could stay in business that long making a crappy product. I'm sure there are lemons in there, but it is the same with all manufacturers.

I hate it when people talk trash just for the sake of talking trash.

19. Autobot_Goldbug

Autobot_Goldbug The REAL Goldbug

News Credits:
    I fail to see your logic. Even though I witnessed all my friends' problems I cannot have an opinion? That is like saying even though a witness to a murder saw one they can't be sure it was a murder unless they murdered. I'm sorry but opinions are not to be kept to ones self. Plus you have to name the model of the car not just the brand.
    I can appreciate that GM seems to be doing better in their quality control. However that is a recent development and their track record in my opinion is not good.
    Primus you would be surprised how many companies are still in business making crappy products.

I think licensing is a big problem with movies these days. I like the fact that GM can appreciate FREE advertising. They aren't funding the movie at all. On the other hand I can't see why Lorenzo Di Bonaventura made that comment. Why would it be a problem to handle multiple car makers? Licensing I guess would be the answer. Mazda sure was happy to get an Alternator. Now what makes more sense to me is to have a variety of different cars. I sure don't only see GM cars on the road. How do you think the other car makers feel when they are left out? Did they even try to go to the others?
    The big question is...
    Do you think the other car makers will give their OK's for licensing to Hasbro for Transformers in the future after this?

20. Sy-Rein

Sy-Rein Rogue Stunticon

News Credits:
    As far as dealing with a number of large auto-manufacturers, I think it comes down to screen time being equal and having one manufacturer not being shown in a poor 'light'. Such as Ford having a Mustang (although it's a Saleen, so thats how they avoid it in this particular situation), anyway the Ford being the bad-guy and Chev's Camaro being the good-guy. Two rival companies that want both their products to be shown well.

The other point I mentioned is screen time. Both companies want their products highlighted and seen as much as possible. Thinking of this makes me recall "Roger Rabbit", I know why the heck does it make you think of that movie. But basicly it involved a 'Toon Town' and you cant exactly have a Toon Town without having both Disney characters as well as Looney Toon characters. The big issue that arouse for that movie was that anytime Mickey Mouse was on screen, Bugs Bunny had to be on screen as well. Satisfying both companies that neither one nor the other would be shown more often.