TF movie figures w/ Classics?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by NSP, Jan 7, 2010.

1. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    Does anyone here use the Movie TF figures to display along with the Classics/ Universe line as sort of a fill-in? Do any of the movie figures look sort of G1ish so that they can be displayed together? If so....which ones In your opinion? :) 

NSP

(p.s. Sorry if this has been asked before. I searched to no avail.)

2. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

I have let my TFTM07 Wreckage join the classics Decepticons, as he fits them perfectly. Also I've seen TFTM07 Jazz repaint (G1 colored) used as a classics Jazz. Personaly, I have found his hands to be a detriment in using him as a classics Jazz (surprisingly his head doesn't bother me).

3. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think TFTM07 Brawl makes a decent enough "Classics Brawl". And I would say the upcoming Hoist/Beachcomber repaints would be appropriate fill-ins as well.

4. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    Wreckage is an interesting idea! And I thought about using Jazz.....but would prolly leave him in car mode. His robot mode looks....odd.

NSP

5. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    I checked pics of Brawl and Wreckage. It looks like Ill be adding them to my Classics display! Thanks. :) 

Anyone have any others??

NSP

6. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Nope. Most of them were made initially as movie figures and simply repainted to more resemble G1 characters. Longarm to Hoist, what's-his-face into Gears, Dune Runner to Beachcomber, etc. There may be nods to an homage there, but ultimately those figures still carry a heavy movie aesthetic. And that very much makes them not "Classics" in my eyes.

An "homage to resemble said character" is not the same as "designed to be said character" to me.

7. Sammael

Sammael MightyMegatron from ATT TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Personally, I think the following figures fit nicely:

TFTM07 Landmine
    TFTM07 Longarm
    TFTM07 Wreckage

ROTF Beachcomber
    ROTF Bludgeon
    ROTF Brakedown
    ROTF Brawn
    ROTF Dirt Boss

TFTM07 Dropkick can fit, but would be better without the chicken legs. ROTF Dirge and Thrust can also work, and I think Mindwipe and Skystalker will work with Season 3 Decepticons (particularly if some of the more exotic Cybetron molds are mixed in - e.g. Soundwave, Sideways, Unicron).

8. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

In terms of movie figures designed in the movie style (not any repaints from previous lines, ala Movie Fracture as Classics Crasher), I have ROTF Fearswoop standing in for my Classics Hooligan, and I plan on making ROTF Reverb (Knock-Out repaint) my Classics Go-Bot Dart.

9. Sammael

News Credits:
    YMMV. Some Movie figures have a much stronger "Movie vibe*" than others. For example, I love TFTM07 Barricade, but I'd never display him with Classics in robot mode. OTOH, TFTM07 Longarm fits perfectly because his aesthetic is a lot closer to the regular TF aesthetics.

*Overly busy designs, chicken legs, odd proportions, utterly inhuman faces with TEETH(TM), rounded (instead of boxy) limbs, etc.

10. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    universe smokescreen, and universe inferno, are comfortably sitting on my desk with nest bumblebee and nest armorhide.

While I can't say the designs fit. Its just that my tastes say putting different aesthetic figures next to each other can be interesting.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  11. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    Interesting comments everyone! Keep em coming! :) 

NSP

12. TheBigMachine

TheBigMachine Initiating JAZZ HANDS!

News Credits:
    I've been struggling with the same question. Right now, for me, I'd say the following figures go with the Classics line-up well:

-ROTF: Bludgeon (I think Hasbro even mentioned they intended for him to have a Classics vibe).
    -ROTF: Lockdown (I think this will work w/ Classics, but I have to wait until I have him in hand).
    -ROTF: Hoist (He'll do for now with Classics until, hopefully, we get one designed specifically for the line)

I feel to be truly in the Classics line the figure needs fist pegs, or hands, that can hold weapons and faces that have a good homage to their g1 counterparts (not too "Movie" looking in other words). I guess Bludgeon is the only one that truly meets those criteria for me.

13. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Well, Bludgeon is going with my Classics toys, but I'd have to take a look.

14. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I think movie1 Evac can fit in with Classics because he's so brightly colored, has regular proportions, AND has a headsculpt that could work. unlike Blackout/Grindor's heads.

15. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i think gears fits decently ..... size, hands...

16. Sammael

News Credits:
    Other than odd feet, Movie 1 Evac does seem like a likely candidate.

However, Cybertron Evac is a whole lot better suited for the role (he's currently displayed with my Season 3 Autobots).

17. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I have ROTF Thrust displayed with my Classic 'Cons and plan to add Dirge and Bludgeon when I find them. The jets don't look quite the same as the Classic Seekers, but it's a far cheaper way to get those characters than importing the Henkei versions and I'm getting to the phase where character is more important to me than aesthetics.

I'd get Hoist, too, but I don't want to pay $35 and have to find something to do with that ugly-ass Mixmaster.

18. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I plan to add ROTF Thrust and Dirge to my Decepticon classics, as well as Bludgeon and Mindwipe, once I get ahold of them. Probably Skystalker, too, just to go with Mindwipe.

Brawn may join the Autobots, but I dunno, he looks a little too movie like from pictures, but I'll make that call when I have him in hand. The Beachcomber repaint will join the Autobots, too.

19. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I use the gray Universe 2.0 Powerglide as Movie Powerglide. I think it works pretty well. And I used Movie Crashers as Classics Crasher for a little while.

20. NSP

NSP Trust Me!

Ebay:
    "....I'm getting to the phase where character is more important to me than aesthetics." -Switchblade

This is an interesting point. Ive been thinking about this....

NSP