TF Manufacturing History

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Silverscreen, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Silverscreen

Silverscreen Razerwire is my bitch

Since I am a nerd, I wanted to know which TF's were manufactured in which country and in what years. For example, most Alternators and Binaltechs are manufactured, assembled, and/or packaged in China. But most of the G1's I flipped over say Takara Japan. And in the case of Computron, made in Macau as well as parts of Superion.

This topic evolved from a conversation with Razerwire that I didn't believe China had the ability to produce TF's--the plastic molding and labor issues--back in the 80's.

So if you please, look under your TF's (it's like a treasure hunt) to find:
    1. The earliest non-Japan produced TFs.
    2. The latest Japanese produced TFs.
    3. The the earliest China produced TF.
    4. The year/countries of other TF's. (like are there legit Korean manufactured/assembled ones?)

p.s. This is midly related to quality control problems that a lot of Chinese produced TF's have.

2. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

The original version of Sixwing was stamped Made in Japan on the back of the box.

3. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

I don't think they just moved production from plant to plant, but rather have always made the figures in Japan. The ones that are not made there were probably outsourced there due to volume or lack of tools necessary for a particular figure.

That's my take on it.

4. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've always thought that the later G1 figures were produced in China... I'll have to go root through my stuff again, but I could be wrong... So far the only stuff we've looked at were the G1 combiners in my display case... They all were either from Japan or Macau...

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Nobody knows when China started manufacturing TFs???:confused: 

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    With a quick rundown to find a dividing line:

Monster Pretenders - Macau
    Micromaster Yellow Lambo - Macau
    Action-Master Rollout - Macau
    Euro-G1 red Predator jet - Macau
    G2 blue Grimlock - China.

There's exceptions I'm sure, but I'd guess G2 may be the primary "China dividing line"

P.S. Adding on - G2 Dreadwing - Indonesia, G2 Hooligan Cyberjet - China

7. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Hmmm... G2 eh... It would make sense...

8. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Since Macau and Hong Kong were Portuguese and British colonies in China, both recently ceded, they should probably count as China as well. I would guess the same factories are still making the toys as before. Bachmann model trains, IIRC, used to say 'Hong Kong' but now say 'China', though they are still made by Kader Holdings in the same plants.

I suspect a lot of 'made in Macau' stuff was actually contracted out to China and re-exported. From what I've read, Macau is more of a Chinese Monte Carlo than a industrial center like Hong Kong.

9. Razerwire

News Credits:
    I don't recall any of the older TFs with a Made in Hong Kong stamp though... Back then it wouldn't have been a Made in China stamp since HK was still under British rule... If they were made there, they would've had the stamps, hence the specific Made in Macau stamp...