TF Inventory, anybody else?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Red Hope, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Yeah, I've got an Excel spreadsheet with my collection on it listed by lines with their own individual worksheets. I also have an extra sheet for a 'wishlist' and which figures I currently have on order or I have already purchased.

2. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    I need to someday, but I really never thought I would get to that point in my collecting.

My how time flies and how the collection grows!

3. zealottoyou

zealottoyou Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I am using excel too and i am linking the excel to access and hope someday I can run sql.

I collect multiple lines of toys. Given that i am in the financial service industry, it is natural for me to use pie chart to compare my current toy diversification with the target.

maybe one day i should prepare an annual report.

4. Sanchimaru

Sanchimaru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have an excel file too. When my collection started to become really big, I decided it was time to make inventory.
    I update it as soon as I buy any new item.

5. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator

News Credits:
    I have two lists. One that is my TF Collection and is broken down by line, ie G1, Beast Wars, Armada, etc. Those lists are then broken down by size class, ie deluxe, voyager, leader, etc. In some cases, the lines spanned many years, so I further broke those down by year and then did the same thing, breaking them down by size. I include the figure's name and price, plus whether I have the instructions and tech specs, if applicable.

The second list is my TF Figure List and that one is a list of all figures alphabetically. I like it because it shows me how many Optimus Prime figures I have, Megatrons, Bumblebees etc. That list has the figure's name, line, price and a notes section for special things such as being an exclusive of some sort or anything else that I want to remember.

I love my lists. It really makes my OCD happy. That and I love knowing exactly how many figures I have as well how exactly how much money I have spent. If you really get into collecting anything that has mass quantities I think it is almost necessary, and at least highly advisable, to make lists.

6. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I keep a spreadsheet but only for my Starscream collection. It is as complete a list as I can of all SS's not just the ones I have. It lets me know what I don't have, what I have sealed and what I have loose. It also keeps count of sealed, loose and total. My next project for it will be to add links to pictures of the figures.

Here is a sample of what mine looks like.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The site is definitely much faster than it used to be, but I'm not a fan of the user-interface either. I can't explain my problems with it very specifically, but I just find it laborious and tedious to use. For my purposes, it's much easier to open my Excel workbook, type in the name/size class of a toy in the appropriate sheet and then snap a quick picture of it.

8. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

Fixed--ironically, this error was a result of our latest round of performance optimizations. Thanks much for reporting it.

9. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'm a fan of using shmax.com. Updates are pretty constant and there seems to be a genuine want to improve on the site. Anything i've ever had to report was fixed quickly which is nice. There are times it has run slow but this usually changes pretty quickly. (Figure usually its because of work being done on it).

The download feature is pretty handy and seems to be broken up nicely with a fair amount of details. There are times that it has been handy as a resource section (if i i'm not using tfw2005 at the time).

It's pretty nice keeping a collection list online and locally on the computer.

10. hardreturn

hardreturn Ian Reid

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    delicious library works good for me, but i don't have a huge collection

11. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I've been using a Word doc to do inventory since I need to seriously reduce my overstock and sell/trade stuff off. It's a daunting task when all I spent my disposable income on before I got married was collectible stuff. Half my 2-car garage space and one of the bedrooms in my house is crammed with boxes from my collection. I just have way too much stuff.

I registered with SHMAX.com about a year ago to track my collection, and it's been time-consuming to build from scratch. The site gets way too bogged down in technical details. I'd say the majority of TF fans don't know the freaking mold number on the stuff they own. The site's general search function is too broad, and the advanced search is too complicated. They need to overhaul and simplify it for their users.

12. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    i need to do this in case anything happens and I need proof for insurance purposes

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I thought shamx.com was mentioned fairly prominently myself:

14. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

News Credits:
    I definitely do this. For one thing, it's a way to impose some organization into my collection, even if it's only intangible.

For another thing...I have three screens filled with spreadsheets at work. This is one way to appear absolutely productive while still being at leisure (somewhat)

15. odeean

odeean Infiltrator

News Credits:
    To those using Microsoft Excel, have you considered an open alternative. I love windows but their office products are geared towards locking users in with their formats. To those that mentioned OpenOffice, did you know that Oracle now own that Name and the main developers have split off in to libreOffice. It has all the old features and more and is truly open now that the trademarks are not owned by Oracle.

16. shmax

shmax Well-Known Member

What does the mold number have to do with tracking your collection? I don't understand why people get frustrated by stuff like that--if it interests you, great, if it doesn't, ignore it and focus on what does interest you. Adding an item to your collection is as simple as finding it in the database and clicking "Add to my collection". At that point you are done, and the details are strictly optional. If you can really think of a way to make it simpler than a single mouse-click, then please tell us about it in our "Feature requests" forum.

The search system is the only one of its kind for Transformers toys, and it's a shame you're dismissing such a powerful tool--there's really nothing else like it. Try reading the FAQ, there's a good explanation of how to make the most of the search functionality (hint: we use the exact same syntax as eBay). With a little practice, you can target almost any single product, figure, or accessory perfectly with a search. Remember that we encode everything about a toy into the search data--you can do searches like "exclusive abrams tank yellow" and it absolutely will return the toy you have in mind. And if you can't remember enough details about a toy and get too many results back for a broad search (such as "optimus", or "red blue black truck"), well, you can then easily narrow your results using the navigation menu on the left.

As for the advanced search, it's only as complex as you make it. You don't have to fill in all the fields--just concentrate on a single one, such as form, color, or faction. Once you get the hang of it, though, it's crazy powerful--you could create a list of all toys that originated from the Diaclone family of molds, released in the last 5 years, with metallic blue paint. Or all Decepticon cars. Or all red and white hovercraft. Or everything that was ever exclusive to Walmart, or made by Kabaya. Or all chrome missiles.

My apologies for rambling away in someone else's thread, and maybe I should just stop bothering, but it troubles me to hear that people are having trouble with the site after all the years of hard work we've put into it. Obviously it's impossible to talk someone into liking something they've already decided is not for them, but if you really do have suggestions for us, we're waiting in the forums.

17. ThaConqueror

ThaConqueror Rock! Robot Rock!

I don't, but sometimes I feel like I should. Not because I need to keep track of my toys (they're all on shelves in my bedroom, it's not like they're always out of sight), because it's the kind of pointless, unnecessary thing that I'd keep a list of.

18. a-town

a-town Well-Known Member

i have an excel file of classics, universe and henkei. i'm still waiting for united, generations and RTS to finish first before i update my lists.

19. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    I have an Excel file of my Bees, i list the figures, how much I got them for, and shipping cost if applicable.

20. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I have a massive Excel sheet as well, listing quality, completeness, missing accessories, flaws, paperwork, etc. It's a pain in the ass to maintain. :(