TF Inventory, anybody else?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Red Hope, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Red Hope

Red Hope Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I keep a... small inventory on my TFs in Excel. It keeps track of G1s, G2s, & Modern and breaks down each figure's name, subgroup (or line), distribution year, completeness, instructions, tech card, grading, $$$ put into them, and finally notes on what they may be missing, broken, or major wear.

Anybody else do all this nonsense? I was curious to see if anybody else is this meticulous (and nerdy) on tracking their TFs...? Anybody track different info than this?

2. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just look at my shelves and say "I love my toys :D "

I do occasionally forget I have something though. Never bought a double I didn't intend to. But I could see it happening.

3. Deadboy

Deadboy Well-Known Member

I don't use Excel but I do keep a simple list in Word, divided by line.

4. ssancho

ssancho Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    OP are you by chance an IT guys or do you just like having Databases? I am thinking about doing the same but just been busy with last semester of school.

5. whoamidri

whoamidri Mumbling Madman

I keep a similar excel sheet (very outdated sadly) but with different descriptors like condition of figure and how much I paid for it when it was purchased sorta like shmax

6. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Word documents. One for each series. name, faction, size class, accessories, condition, and release notes for each figure.

Sometimes I forget to update them for several months, and them I'm like "Oh no".

7. Red Hope

Ebay:
    The day you make an accidental duplicate, just you wait... you'll hear my evil laugh behind you. lol

More than anything, it's to keep track of what accessories I'm missing on my G1s. I just couldn't recall what I need to complete them.

8. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I do actually. I keep a database file that I can query in a spreadsheet to display everything broken into pages for each line (or any other factor I would want to sort them by). I started it right after I started collecting and realized that this wasn't going to be a passing fad, and my collection might grow to be rather sizable. I have a column for:

• Name
    • Toy Line (I keep track of my Go-Bots in the same list)
    • Series
    • Size Class
    • Affiliation
    • Sub-Group
    • Alt Mode
    • Complete (y/n)
    • Instructions (y/n)
    • Import/Exclusive (y/n)
    • Notes about the figure

I should have also put in a column for how much I paid for them too, but with +1K figures and a few years of collecting under my belt, it'd take too much time to go back and try to figure it all out now.

9. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Off to make a spreadsheet. Lol

I love parts hunting, but I forget what all I need sometimes.

10. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have an Excel workbook with separate sheets for each series and I keep track of the names of what figures I have and any pertinent notes (size class, missing/extra accessories, damage, etc). I've also taken pictures of every individual figure (or set of figures that were sold together) and their accessories. I have it set up less for my own personal inventory and more as proof of what I own for insurance purposes.

I'm currently working on making checklist spreadsheets for every TF series so I can determine what I have and what, if anything, I still need/want from each series. So far, I've only done a checklist for G1. I was surprised to find that, out of all the G1 stuff I don't have, there are only ~20 figures left that I actually want.

11. Red Hope

Ebay:
    Well, yes'ish. I majored in Information Systems in college (hence my meticulous nerdy thing here) and one of my classes was databases. I mainly know Access, SAP (more of an ERP system but still databasing), and My SQL. I just used Excel because I've never splurged to get Access.

12. Red Hope

Ebay:
    You know what? Even with my spreadsheet, I accidentally bought two G2 Long Haul guns. That was a PROUD blond moment of mine. :lol 

13. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've got two Word documents, one for Transformers and the other for Bionicle/Hero Factory. The latter is just a list of everything I have, but the Transformers list is separated by series. I usually remember to update it every two or three purchases so I'm never too far behind.

14. Red Hope

Ebay:
    What database program are you using?

15. Red Hope

Ebay:
    That is a very good point about the insurance! My coworker and I were looking at some of the other member's large collections. And he said to me "What if that guy's house burned down?" It'd be all over but the crying. Do you send in that information to your insurance company?

I like the idea about the checklist too. I know at some point I'll have to do that too.

16. Th0r4z1n3

Th0r4z1n3 The F*cking Lizard King! Veteran

News Credits:
    I've got a Spreadsheet for EVERYTHING released in the US up to about '06 that another board member put together. I can send you a copy if you want, just PM me with your email. :) 

I use Open Office. It works really well, reads/writes Excell (and others)... plus it's Open Source so it's free. :D 

17. Ethereal

Ethereal A Sad Flareon

I've wanted to set up some kind of database lately, just to keep track of everything I have. Not that there's a ton, but I might as well start now when my collection is smaller than in a few years.

18. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Infinite Black Photog

News Credits:
    I do keep a similar checklist in Excel as well but it's not updated regularly due to work. Not as detailed as some of the ones listed here either. Right now I'm just busying myself with updating my online album.

Hoping to start a proper database in the next few years.

19. Red Hope

Ebay:
    Yes, I use OO too! I love it, especially when you can save into PDF with stuff. Are you using the Base or the Calc program?

20. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

I keep an inventory spreadsheet for all my toys-tf's, joe's and non-tf's like dcuc, voltron, etc. They're separated by categories like g1, alternators, animated, etc. Plus, I have an inventory of what I plan on buying as well.