TF Infiltration #6 Spoilers

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Zzeezz, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Well the first arc is over, what did everyone think?

It was nice to see mostly robot action in this issue, with Megatron damn near destroying Starscream (you know that had to hurt). Kind of a let down seeing how they were playing this battle up to see it end so easily. I also thought that Sunstreaker's comment was completely out of character for him. Though I've mostly enjoyed the story, it feels like I just finished 6 issues of set up and no real resolution.

To me the art felt a little more rushed this time than it has been as well.

2. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I read it and though it was a solid issue for once. Not many people, a great fight between Starscream and megs (FINALLY). Now lets see how the next arc plays out.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought the issue was very lackluster. Lets see, Starscream is built up to be all-powerful during the whole arc, yet Megatron beats him pretty easily as usual. (What a shocker!) I was really hoping to see Optimus in this issue more. Then to cap off the issue we get some Optimus Prime action...only problem is all he does is stand there in the doorway doing nothing. So glad this miserable arc is over. Bring on Stormbringer!

4. Outtsyder

Outtsyder Well-Known Member

I keep trying to post my review in the Articles section, but I keep getting the blasted "500 Internal Server Error" message. So to save myself from further frustration with this damn computer, I'm just giong to post a link to where I posted my review on the IDW Boards. It's around post #7 in the thread:

http://forums.idwpublishing.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=21;t=1467

Outtsyder, have I ever mentioned how much I despise computers sometimes...?

5. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

This was a shitty end to a great arc. It should have had a real ending, with a Prime vs. Megs fight. This would be great as a second to last issue of the arc, though.

6. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Read it just now and so, here we go.

I want to be believe that this story was worth telling.

I want to believe that after six-issues of story, that something worthwhile, something groundbreaking would have happened.

I want to believe that Simon's decades-long bag of storytelling tricks can never end.

But after turning that last page, I am left a doubter. I am left unimpressed.

It's not that the premise of this series was bad, it was its delivery that began to falter after the first two issues. We are left with most plot lines open at series end, a strategy much akin to the Sunstorm Saga and its failure to achieve sufficient closure.

There were bright spots in this issue. The battle between Starscream and Megatron was done somewhat well. It harkened back to the early issues of Marvel, #6, when it was Megatron and Shockwave battling at the base of Mount St. Hiliary. But in the end, reminiscing aside, is it not still just a battle between Megatron and Starscream, a battle we have seen time and time again? I mean, had Starscream actually won...that would have been something to write home about. As it is, Starscream ending of with a big hole in his chest is something I can hardly say is surprising.

Autobots show up to the scene. And what do they do? Absolutely nothing. They are spectators, like us. One might think that even they were quite bored by another Starscream/Megatron clash.

I'm still unclear as to what seige mode is, still unclear as to what the Decepticons true intentions for being on Earth are. What was the deal with that skeleton in that abondoned Decepticon base early on anyway?

Artiwise, after seeing the sample pages on this website, I was highly impressed. But as the issue progressed, the artwork declined. The TF faces looked like they were melted wax in many panels, very indistinct. But you know what? Despite these artistic "flaws", I forgive E.J. everything for that kickass Prime pic at the end. I mean, I actually felt for the first time ever in reading a TF comic that I was actually there standing at the feet looking up at this towering robotic figure. Fantastic effect, E.J.! I don't know how after twenty years I have not experienced that effect until now, but that Prime pic for me goes down as one of the greatest TF pieces ever.

So overall, this issue, and this series, fell flat for me. I've said it before, I'll say it again, this was a three to four issue story at most. Pacing was sloooooooooooooooooooowwww.

Issue #6: C-
    Infiltration series overall: B-

7. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I have to agree with everyone else here. Subpar work here. Anticlimatic battle, cowardly Autobots, rushed art, slow story.

If anybody asks for recommendations a year from now, I'll tell them to start with Stormbringer. Nothing happened in Infiltration that can't be explained on the inside cover of Escalation #1.

Best line was Sunstreaker's, upon his arrival back at the Ark: "Er, excuse me... what are the humans doing out?"

8. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me, this was the best issue in the series. And with Prime, Su finally proved he can draw a decent Transformer. It's just a shame it took him 6 issues to do it. Please, IDW, I beg of you, let Don take over the next arc. Please?

9. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    I actually liked it, though it did feel incomplete with the Prime introduction as the cliffhanger. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to all the pieces of "grand puzzle"Furman has i store in the form of Stormbringer and Escalation.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmmm, I will check this out later at my local comic shop...what some of you guys posted...I'm keeping my expectations low. Somehow I too find that Furman hasn't delivered on this series unlike his previous stories.

11. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Just read it myself and I kind of expected Megatron would open a can of whoop-ass on our heroic Autobots squad, right after slaying Starscream.

In general this comics started a little bit slow, but the pace came up preatty good as they continued this volume.

I just want to know one thing:
    If I want to continue and read this specfic storyline they started, so what is the next IDW comic book I have to buy and when ?!? can someone give me an answer ?
    Thanks!

12. Primal

Primal Moderator

News Credits:
    The Transformers: Escalation is the next arc that continues this story. It's out in October I believe.

13. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks neighbor
    :thumb 

14. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I think this is what happens when you stretch a writer out too much.

Remember, Simon, at one point, had to have been writing all of the following *AT THE SAME TIME*

Infiltration
    Beast Wars
    Stormbringer
    Beast Wars Profiles Book

Which one do you think is getting the least amount of attention here?

15. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I thought it was great. It had me on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading. And the coloring is much improved this issue. Not nearly as washed out and red-tinted as it has been in the past. The only thing that bugged me is that it felt like they caved to pressure and reduced the humans to basically a cameo. They're good characters and I hope this isn't an indicator of them being dropped when Escalation starts.

I liked this individual issue better than any of the individual Beast Wars issues (sacrilege!).

16. Outtsyder

Outtsyder Well-Known Member

After wrestling with the server errors for Primus-knows-how-long (felt like a cage match), my review's finally up. Generally speaking, I liked the issue and the story; but you can see more of my comments here:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/showthread.php?t=102898

Outtsyder

17. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Guh, terrible issue. After months of hype, what do we get? Megatron vs. Starscream for the eighty billionth time. And guess what? Starscream loses! Quite a pants-crapping surprise that one was. Oh, and what's even better than that? A little hint at the end that there'll be even MORE humans coming into the series, via "The Machination".

*bangs head against desk*

You know, the first few issues of this series weren't bad, but this is ridiculous. This is the worst a TF comic's been since that godawful Micromasters series. Infiltration has been nothing but exposition and build-up. It's brought absolutely nothing new to the table. If anybody from IDW is reading this, please please please bring some fresh writing talent on board. Someone who can bring something new to the franchise, or at the very least tell some entertaining stories.

18. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    I want my money back. Issue 6 was a complete waste, and I can easily see why my shop has decided to stop ordering IDW's Transformers series.

Hell, this arc has singlehandedly convinced me to stop buy Transformers comics. There's always so much potential (Energon, Infiltration) that's wasted by the writer (Furman). Maybe I'll make an exception for the next Beast Wars comics, but even volume 1 wasn't as good as I would have liked.

19. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Loved it as issue 6 of an ongoing, felt it was kind of "meh" as an end to a miniseries.

Further cements my point that Furman simply doesn't work well in the "4-6 issue miniseries" format. Every time he writes one, I find that it looks like great groundwork for an ONGOING, and then has an incredibly rushed ending.

That said, I did enjoy how this one panned out when I saw that the continuity would continue after Stormbringer. Megatron was great, and Sunstreaker's miniscule appearances gave him some great character base.

Very much hoping that IDW stops with having Furman do endless non-ending miniseries and brings things down to one or two ongoings soon. I like their potential a lot, they just need to move into the right format.

20. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

I agree. I loved Infiltration. A much need breath of fresh air for the franchise, and great human characters.