TF Generations: Comparative Scale

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Cobalt Agent, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Just a little thing I did, comparing heights and sizes of Transformers across generations.

Warning: Big files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Not sure on this, but I think that any Giganticon would be larger than ROTF Devastator.

3. Cobalt Agent

Nope.

4. Quantum25

Quantum25 Well-Known Member

G1 Prime and Megatron appear a lot smaller than I thought they would, interesting. The same applies for RID Prime and Scourge.

5. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    Well, accoding to this:
    [​IMG]

The scale between Optimus and Devastator is off. Also, Cybertron Soundwave is too small.

EDIT: Are you ure that for the Galaxy Force charts, you didn't misread meters as feet?

6. Quantum25

You're right, also according to that scale guide, both G1 Prime and Megatron should be at least a head taller than Shockwave not shorter. It would appear that the height you'd set for Shockwave would be approximately how tall G1 Prime and Megatron should be.

7. Cobalt Agent

Uh, no they're not off. The cartoon made Shockwave subordinate size. In Marvel he's larger than both leaders, carried over from the toys. There's a lot different between continuities, that's why I bothered putting them (continuities) under their heights in feet. It's also why there's more than one G1 Metroplex. IDW Can swat a tank under his fist, while Cartoon Megatron is 18 feet tall.

8. Quantum25

Was there any height official height given for G1 Marvel comics Shockwave?

9. Cobalt Agent

http://www.ntfa.net/universe/english/index.php?act=view&char=Shockwave

Virtually. He doesn't change size in gun mode like Megatron, explicitly stated in his bio. Also stated is that his gun mode is 35 feet long. That puts his robot mode at just over 24 feet. Coincidentally, Megatron and Optimus appear to be the same size in the comics as in the show, 18 feet. That seems to set 18 as the true standard for G1 Megs and Prime, at least the original run of the 80's. Recent stories have Megs upwards of 50 feet tall.

10. Quantum25

Ah, okay. I just thought Marvel Prime & Megatron would be a bit taller in relation to Shockwave; approximately just below his chest (around where Starscream and Red Alert line up(ignoring the heights given, just a point of reference)). Than again I'm just basing this off of just two scenes in the original comics during Shockwave's fight with Prime.

Anyways, the rest of the chart looks accurate.:thumbs2: 

11. Cobalt Agent

And for the record, Cyb Soundwave is 4.1 meters, less than 13 1/2 feet, so he is small.

As for the Cartoon scale charts for G1, it's important to note that Devastator is out of scale with himself. The first chart shows Megatron at about a third his height, but the comparison with Omega Supreme and Optimus has Optimus around Devastator's waist. That means Devastator is considerably smaller in the bottom row. Or Optimus got a lot bigger.

It should also be noted Devastator is over 60 feet tall according to his profile, but seeing as Optimus is shown three times taller than a 6ft human (18ft), that means Devastator isn't drawn much more than half his true height in those scale charts and at the most is only around 2/3 his true height.

In Marvel Bumblebee is realistically at a 15 ft height, whereas he's barely 9-10 in the scale charts.

Back on Devastator... his profile says he's over 60 ft, and Predaking in the comics is stated 80 ft. And yet, looking at the scale for season 3 of the cartoon...

[​IMG]

Predaking is drawn about twice as big as Rodimus, and Trypticon/Metroplex are about 5x that. Whereas the comic shrank down Fort Max and Scorponok for character development, the cartoon had to keep most larger characters shrunken down for the sake of telling a story on screen. I don't know.

12. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My head hurts.

13. Quantum25

And this is why scale is a mess when it comes to transformers. But still, good job deciphering the mess and coming up with a viable scale chart.

14. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Hot shot is taller than Scourge (Black Convoy)? That... doesn't seem right.

Interesting resource, though.

15. Cobalt Agent

That's what happens. The armada figures are from the video game, and RID from official info. I really woulda liked to have gotten Tidal Wave's height from the game...

16. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I think this definitely goes to show just how inconsistent (and in some cases, flat-out dumb) the sizes and measurements are between the various series. Definitely interesting to see it all compiled like this.

I have a hard time believing that Prime or Megatron were ever actually drawn as small as 18ft tall in the G1 cartoon. It kind of defies logic, especially when you consider they have Bumblebee listed at 15ft, and any larger bot like Trailbreaker, or hell, a Seeker, would need to be larger than that.

Also, one thing to bear in mind when measuring out Shockwave is that, if you're using the G1 toy as your rough guide to how his 2 modes scale to each other, remember that in his cartoon and comic character models, his legs don't stretch out to be nearly as long as they do on the toy. It might be fair to adjust the final height based on that detail.

zmog

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I think you should make this scale an animated gif, because the scale in Transformers is never as it should be. Some time they are larger, the other time smaller. Just as it fits.

18. Cobalt Agent

Eh, I beg to differ.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

His legs are pretty long in the comics. Comic and Cartoon Shockwave are portrayed differently beyond their personality; their design is also different. Shockwave is clearly bigger than Megatron in the comics, and having Megatron at 18 feet, 24 feets for Shockwave isn't that out there.

MY GOD! Stepping over sauropod dinosaurs! W?W?W?W????FFff?sdfsfdsfd
    [​IMG]

19. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Obviously, the art fluctuates wildly in Transformers (both cartoon and comics), but however long Shockwave's legs look, I can say that they're still not as freakishly long and skinny as they appear on the toy.

Animation (and comic) model:
    http://www.ntfa.net/universe/pictures/Shockwave.jpg

Arguably the most famous Shockwave image ever:
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/c/cb/Shockwavearealldead.jpg

Astro Magnum:
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/thumb/f/fe/ToyCoAstroMagnum.jpg/800px-ToyCoAstroMagnum.jpg

The toy features much more elongated styling... I'm just saying that variation could skew the math a bit.

As for Shockwave being definitively shown as being larger than Megs or Prime... I have to call you on that. There are some images with rather dodgy perspective (like the last panel of issue #4 which makes him look HUUUUGE). I doubt you can consistently find any images with Shockwave standing alongside Prime or Megatron and looking taller (even by a margin of 6ft).

Even the pictures you chose for him and Megs don't actually show ANY sense of scale between them (panel 2 uses dramatic perspective). This image might have been a bit better for that purpose, though it's still inconclusive because of Shockwave's crouched position.
    http://tfwiki.net/w2/images2/6/6a/Repeatperformance-preparedtheprisoner.jpg
    (also, one of my all time favourite panels from Marvel's G1 for some reason)

And obviously a totally non-standardized sauropod tells us nothing about how big Shox is supposed to be next to his fellow high command bots. Those could be small sauropods, or drawn by someone with no clue. :) 

On the other hand, although I don't have the issues handy to check, you might want to look at the brief struggle between Shockwave and Prime after Prime finally got his head back (they're both standing grappling one-on-one so there's probably a conclusive image there). Or how about that time Megatron gets his ass handed to him by Omega Supreme, but then he talks Shockwave into giving up command (that sly fox!). I think they're right next to each other in that one too.

Meanwhile, if we're talking screwy scale, how about Megatron in the I, Robot Master story? He's certainly not 18' tall there, like when he tears that massive strip mining wheel off and tosses it across the quarry. Those things are gigantic!

zmog

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Yeah, in the Marvel comics, they weren't even consistent from panel-to-panel, never mind issue-to-issue or artist-to-artist.