TF fans hate Transformers? Seems so...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, Mar 25, 2009.

1. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Right off that bat, I want to say that nothing I state here is directed to anyone person here on these boards or anywhere in particular, I am not trying to start a flame war, just stating my observations.

Now, first off, everybody is entitled to their opinion, everybody is also entitled to go five minutes without somebody being a jerk about it. (both those who attack other's opinions or just be a jerk when expressing them) Being a fan of BW, Animated AND a big Movie fan, I see people post that the stuff I like sucks more on this board than I get to talk about how great it is.

Recently, with Animated's demise caused mainly by poor ratings and Hasbro wanting to stick with the big seeling movie franchise in these less-than economically stable times, I have heard, at leats once daily, the following:

Hasbro sucks an/or they're money-grubbers.
    Transformers Animated sucks.
    The Transformers movie sucks and will suck.
    Bay sucks.
    Cartoon network sucks.
    You get the idea.

In addition, for liking Transformers, I have been called:

A tool. (very popular)
    Brainless.
    Tasteless.
    Sometimes even just flat-out stupid.
    And lots of other fun little jabs.

My point is, it seems to me that slightly more fans hate Transformers than they actually like them, or at least rant about what they hate more than discussing common intrests or engaging in constructive conversation about positive atributes of certain series. I dislike stuff about TFs, however minor they are, sure, but for the most part I try not to make a big deal of it by putting flame-bait in my sig, (unless you count openly expressing what I like in a non-demeaning fashion flame-bait) or attempting wit at the expense of someone or something else.

And don't get me wrong, I don't care if you dislike or even hate stuff. What does bother me is how most fans go about saying it. Some people may come back and say that the people always saying they like it is annoying, but no, it's not. At least not in the same way. What party would you rather go to? The one with all the happy peeps having a good time, or the miserable group who mope about why they hate stuff and who sucks and whatnot.

That's pretty much it. Nothing here is or should be taken as a personal strike, or flame baiting, merely a thread for those who sypathise. (if there are any) Just letting off a little steam and offering discussion. And I genuinely apologise for the length. In my head I didn't think it would turn out so long. (it's not that long when you actually say it, at any rate) I'm also not here to get into some massive endless back-and-forth about who's right or wrong.

2. salmonman78

salmonman78 Mordin, my hero

You have a valid point, lately there have been alot more complaint/hate threads than others....hopefully it won't stay that way for long.

3. rob_charb

rob_charb Well-Known Member

You know, Split Lip, I absolutely agree with you. I've felt numerous times too many "fans" piss and moan about just about every aspect of this hobby that they supposedly love and support, if for no other reason than to simply piss and moan. It's a shame really.

4. myhobby

myhobby ArigatouArigatouArigatou-

i understand what you're saying, and agree with your points.
    i will worn you, however, to duck from flying projectiles.
    :throw 
    this will probably not change any ones minds on whether Hasbro sucks or not,
    but because you're looking for like minded people, you have at least one person who agrees that fun is supposed to be fun:thumbs2: 
    edit: or two or three

5. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

Agreed, I kind of stopped posting because of it.

6. underwear-ninja

underwear-ninja Eats Gobots for breakfast

There have been too many Nancies of the negative variety as of late :c I find that the best counter to this is to post amazingly positive threads, and also being absolutely snarky about all the whiners

You are doing your part :thumbs2: 

7. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    it just seems to be the way of the internet.

Rather than simply say "I like this better than that", people will say "this one is awesome, that one sucks. It's basically an extension of vanity and macho posturing. A thing can't simply exist on it's own merits and for the people who appreciate it. It requires my approval or it's nothing. Anyone who has a problem with my opinion, is pretty much a Nazi.

Another one that can get on my nerves is how one or two shortcomings apparently negate all the effort that's been put into something. All the months of hard work and invested resources are inevitably met with the ultimate one-word put-down: 'FAIL!'

Which is not to say that there aren't things that suck and things that fail, but the terms are certainly thrown around a lot.

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    This does not surprise me at all. A book I read hit the nail on the head. Human nature is to focus more on the negative than the positive. You have just pointed out a real world example of it right on these boards. Thank you.

9. planetjacker

planetjacker Critters burn real good. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I avoid many movie forum threads because of this. It gets tiring reading thread after thread of "bay raping my childhood" style posts. As well as the animated "chin" complaints.

They don't like the designs, I get it so why post the same rant over and over? There is obviously something they do like other wise they wouldn't be here. Post there.

It is fine and dandy to not like something. However posting that something sux and if others like it they suck too makes no sense to me and will not sway anyone to your way of thinking.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  10. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    This

11. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You have an extremely good point, and I have always been thinking about this. I have always beaten the horse with my hatred for the UT, but really... that is the only thing I dislike about Transformers. Sure, I have my cirticisms, and people are 100% allowed to have exactly that.

I have never, ever insulted people like what you have been called. Sure I may be a little sarcastic when defending myelf, but never an outright "You are a dumbshit."

What you are describing screams to be of "geewun", but I don't know. People may judge shit a lot, but that doesn't mean they hate it.

I see where you are coming from, and I agree. Just ignore all the small minded people who resort to insults.

12. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I agree with Split Lip. I just can't seem to go through this site every day without seeing a thread where someone says "ANIMATED SUX!" or "BAY KILLED TRANSFORMERS!". Voicing your opinion is fine, just don't repeat the same damn thing over and over again. I had to learn it the hard way with Animated and the live-action movie.

13. Rodimus Major

Rodimus Major Custom User Title

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ::Reads post, then looks at your user title:: :confused: 

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    The thing is, it's not geewunners. It's Animated fans tearing the movie apart, Movie fans belittling Animated, everyone. We all need to chill.

15. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    To tell you the truth, I've never really seen a lot of that. I mean I guess I wouldn't really know, no one has really outright proclaimed, "I LOVE Animated, but hate Bayformers!!!"

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  16. Tyjos

Tyjos Just another Collector

Typical Internet Insanity......that's what it is to me......I've grown used to it....

17. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Maybe, log off for a couple of days?

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Hey, there are days where I don't even bother visiting most or any of the forums. (I primarily use this site for news, so I try and at least see the front page once a day to keep up-to-date, I also check the reviews section for new pics of figs I don't have and of course the Radicons)

But my point isn't so much disliking the forums because of this, it's not like everybody's like this, but it's just something I've noticed and decided to bring up.

19. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Having over 15,000 posts Split Lip you should know, this board was around before the movie.
    Before animated even, ask the Mods it must of grow double or triple since the movie/animated came out.
    The very different takes on the same show..

The G1 fans, BW, and every other line, you have a mixed bag of nuts.

I hate the movie, Like animated , loved BW, hated anything after..Can many people agree? Who cares!
    But this is where I go to shoot the shit and stuff!

More people, more opinions.
    WHo cares, just say how you feel and move on bro, dont let it get you down.

20. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

There are 3 types currently.

1. People who hate the movie 'cause it's not what they think a movie should be and just cant' get over it.

2. People who hate animated 'cause they feel it's too goofy, and can't see it's good side

3. Animated fans who are resentful that the movie is playing a major role in ending animated. They're upset that they're losing something they love, and may unfairly bash the movie because it's currently hasbros chosen son.

Category 1 people are too inflexible. Category 2 people are less common, and are generally just a little cranky, but they have movie stuff to satisfy themselves. Category 3 people are in a period of mourning, so we should perhaps cut them a break and let them vent a bit.

Spouting hatred of movie or animated is pretty lame. Being slightly angry with Hasbro to me is acceptable, since they are not transformers, but can muck it up through poor business planning.