TF fan backlash--history that will never die

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Voiceroy, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    http://www.herald-mail.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=141760&format=html

2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    All right, before we start dogpiling for or against the fandom, I do want to say this:

This article is important. Because it appeared - in some fashion - in a regular, outside-the-sci-fi-niche publication, it's indicative of the fact that we, as Transformers fans, are becoming a force that is recognizable. Depending on how heavily the "nerd fanbase" stigma is played in other articles like this (that will inevitably show up over the next few years leading up to and following the film) we might be able to generate enough momentum as a fandom that we can truly be recognized as a force to be reckoned with - and not just dogs hungry for a bone.

I hope that, for good or for ill, this story makes it back to the production staff for the film, if for no other reason than to keep them cognizant of the fact that, when Transformers fans don't like stuff, we let people know. A LOT.

Articles like this are nice because they demonstrate to the Hollywood types the size of a fanbase. We can vote with our wallets just as easily for the film as we can against. And if the word spreads like wildfire on TFW2005, Allspark, etc. on opening day that "Transformers The Movie" is a trainwreck, then, well...tough digs, Mr. Bay, Mr. Murphy, Mr. Spielberg, etc.

If, on the other hand, the film gets wonderful reviews, that news will probably just as quickly spread like wildfire across our Transformers internets.

3. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Ugh...

I think nothing ever can make the whole fandom happy about this movie.

If it sells some toys and makes more than they spent to make it, then that is all the move people and Hasbro expect.

4. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    Just who the hell came up with 'TransFans?' Most gay bars have less embarassing names.

And now everybody's going to be picking up on it.

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wait a tick...where the hell is our TFW2005 podcast? :D 

6. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Could be worse. At least we weren't dubbed "trekkies." :redface2: 

7. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    That's different. With trekkies, it was somebody else saying 'Okay, we'll call these guys that.'

I'm certain somebody (who probably tried to make up their own nickname back in high school) started calling themself that. And whoever it was, I hate them forever.

8. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    The name "Transfans" has been around for years. There's even a site of that name.

9. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

*Nods*

It's my board name on 2 other TF boards

Anyone who associates Transfan w/Transvestite or whatever has a "silly" mond to begin with.

And about the article,"passionate" is putting the fandom mildly.The petitions regarding the movie,the G1 rants to me scream more then simply passion

And passion w/o focus or direction is a VERY dangerous thing

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    our local board is called TransMY - transformers, malaysia

many a time we have been mistaken as transvestite, malaysia.

c'est la vie.

11. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, this could be interesting, but I don't think anyone fanbase has the kind of power you're talking about Ops. Even the Star Wars and Trek guys don't... not that I've seen anyways being half into those fanbasses myself. Sure, they get the occasional bone trown to them by Hasbro, Lucas, Paramount or whoever, but not anymore or less than we do. The only reason it seems that they get a little more pull is because (at least with Star Wars) when new movies come out they start heavily marketing the line any way possible. Which also means marketing specifically to the die hard fanbase any way possible.

12. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As good a point as it always is whenever you bring that up. Unfortunantly I don't think any of us will be able to convince the "die hards" of that.

13. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

Believe it or not L_O I agree with you :D 

IMPO any fandom having that kind of power would be dangerous.As you'd end up with a line that caters to only a SMALL fraction of fans.And that turns off any potential new blood which would secure the line's success.

I mean honestly if I'm recalling my fandom history correctly.If the fans had their way back then we wouldn't have had Beast Wars and Beast Machines.Which in turn would mean the fandom wouldn't have all these excellent toys,shows and even this new movie.

So while Hasbro & other companies shouldn't BLATANTLY ignore an established fanbase.They DEFINITELY shouldn't overly cater to their whims either.Especially the internet fans who are shown to have louder voices when posting on a board.A bone thrown now and then is good.Hell the Cybertron show had more then a few G1 references.But the fandom shouldn't get the whole pork chop if you get my drift :) 

14. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    I know. And that makes me hate it even more. It's old and busted.

15. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, that would definently be the largest problem for the company... and probably why TFs kind of became stale towards the end of G1 and why the G2 line didn't take off very well. That's my personal opinion though.

This is true. Unfortunantly I was among those who didn't like BW when it first came out and regreat never watching the show originally and never getting any of the original toys. My wife eventually turned me on to BW when we first started dating though and I've been trying to play catch up with the toys since watching the awsome show. Funny how things work out huh?

Agreed. It wouldn't be right at all for the fandom to be ignored, but for them to cater 100% to such a small audience when children are supposed to be their main focus wouldn't turn out well. You wouldn't have the new blood coming into the franchise (well, argueabley not as much) and you'd have something akin to pre-crisis DC. Were people who were interested in a series found it hard to get involved even if they wanted to because the stories had just become so convoluted up to that point. Of course, TFs could use it's own Crisis, but that's a completely different discussion.

Unfortunantly what seems to happen alot is that a small vocal minority end up speaking alot louder than the rest of the fandom. Well, perhaps not louder but they post more often and more abnoxiously than the rest of us, becuase they feel like they actually do have some control over the franchise. Like it belongs to them or something. Personally, I've never understood that kind of mentality. I mean, I understand fealing a strong attachment to the franchise and also like you're a part of it. And to that extend I understand when people rationally talk about not liking something, but to say you don't like something simply because it's not G1 or not what you grew up with (G1, BW or AEC) is sad to be honest. The fandom in general (and not just ours... the SW and ST guys could learn this too) need to relax a little... everyone just really needs to take a chill pill. Myself included.

16. Laser_Optimus

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    So... what's your idea for the "new hottness"?

17. RandomFerret

News Credits:
    A three-tiered system of terms which differentiate between toy collectors who take no notice of the show and comics, those who take no notice of the toys, and those who follow both.

These three groups would be referred to as 'Transformers collectors,' 'Fans of the show and/or comic' and 'Transformers collectors who watch the show and/or read the comic.'

This is more precise, as well as having the added bonus of not sounding like some stupid fetish club.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Yeah, that sounds almost as good as The Super-Duper Official Let's Rock And Roll Transformers Collector's Club.

19. Psychrome86

Psychrome86 Well-Known Member

"Our thoughts are only as clear as our language."
    George Carlin

I hope you have fun with trying to teach the whole world that system.

why are you worried about a name? are you afraid it might be true?

20. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yea! Our fandom is getting recognition! Perhaps someday it will be spoken of in the same breath as 'Star Wars fans,' 'Trekkies,' 'Trekkers,' and 'Comic Book Geeks.' Soon, 'Transform and roll out' will be spoken in the same reverent tones as 'May the force be with you,' 'Live long and prosper,' and 'I'm Batman.' We will truly be honored among our dork brethren, raised above the also-ran fandoms of 'Stargate,' Hot Wheels, and 'Family Guy.' At last we will reach the top of the nerd heriarchy! Quick- somebody start a line for the movie!

-Tony!
    Admits he's a nerd.