TF extended movie edition...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Lumpy, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    do you think we'll see an extended dvd release of 2007 transformers before ROTF? i was watching the movie with my family tonight and was thinking that there are probably tons of scenes that were filmed for different battles in the first movie, but were ultimately cut due to time or budget reasons...but since it was so successful, and the next one will probably be huge, do you think they'll go back and reanimate sequences to extend certain scenes? ie, prime vs bonecrusher, ironhide vs barricade, or any other big robot fight scenes? i think it'd be an awesome way to put the movie back onto shelves before ROTF...

what do you think?

ps...i didn't put this in the movie section because its not about ROTF, nor do i want it filled with movie spoilers, so please refrain...

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I dunno, I figure they'd spend the money animating scenes for ROTF. I can't really think of any major blockbuster "extended cuts" where the extra footage was made after the film was finished.

Whether there's scenes that were filmed and never made it in, who knows?

3. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ironhide vs Barricade? Was that an actual fight that was planned and didn't make it into the film?

If so... I'd love to see it. But I really don't see it happening.

An extended version would be cool, but yeah, doubtful

4. Skylock

Skylock Rogue

News Credits:
    I doubt it'll happen. In fact I hope all the effort goes into the movie.

5. Galva-Cannon

Galva-Cannon Well-Known Member

The Star Wars prequels and The Lord of The Rings trilogy all had unused scenes inserted into the movies, with new CGI effects created specifically for the extended DVD releases. If you've seen The Return of The King extended version, they added lots of new scenes with CGI that wasn't created at the time of the cinematic release, like the death of Saruman, Gandalf confronting the Witch King inside Minas Tirith, etc.

I'm not saying that I think it's likely to be done with Transformers, just pointing out that there are other big films that took cut footage and "finished" it long after the fact, just to put onto the DVD version.

Sometimes they do even shoot entirely new footage, but it's mostly wide shots or extreme close ups, things where they don't need the original actors. But I can think of one example in the latest DVD version of The Empire Strikes back, where Lucas completely reshot the face shots of the Emperor to use Ian McDiarmid, when he's talking to Vader via the hologram thingy.

6. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Actually it was Optimus vs. Barricade (see the novel adaptation and the IDW comic adaptation of the movie, both based on an older version of the script).

However, we were also told that among all the footage that was cut, no scenes containing CG effects ended up unused.

7. linthart

linthart Plastaholic

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    wasn't it posted here a little while ago that there was a strong rumour that there would be an extended blu-ray version released in conjunction with ROTF?

8. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Really? I guess you've never seen the SW prequels or the LOTR movies on DVD then, huh?

9. Lumpy

News Credits:
    i mentioned ironhide vs barricade because the new ROTF comic he mentions fighting barricade, and it'd be cool to see someone other then optimus beat everyone up...

10. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    The thing about the Lord of the Rings movies, though, is that the extended versions were always part of the plan. All of that stuff was filmed at the same time as the theater version with an eye towards the super long dvd version. I don't think Transformers was made with the same thing in mind.

11. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Not really, no.

And yeah, I didn't think about the revisionist stuff made for the star wars DVDs or the prequels, but let's face it, I try to think about those as little as possible.

Are there any other examples out there?

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
  13. Lumpy

News Credits:
    ah, cool, thanks homie...

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think it will be strange if one is made. The thing about MB's movies is that special extended/ director's cuts haven't really been released. I think Pearl Harbor may be the one exception, but not sure about that one either.

15. LemonPrime

LemonPrime Greetings Programs

News Credits:
    The Ironhide vs. Barricade mentioned in the IDW comic refers to a panel in the 1st issue of their Reign of Starscream series where Ironhide (in vehicle mode) pushed or caused Barricade (also in vehicle mode) to drive into a barrier on the highway. This was their way of explaining Barricade's absence after the highway chase in the movie.

That said, there's always the possibility of a re-release that includes the 2 minutes or so added to the IMAX version. I know Michael Bay said on his website that an extended/director's cut won't happen, but it's ultimately the studio's decision.