TF Evolutions: Hearts Of Steel #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Outtsyder, Jul 7, 2006.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Not really. I think it was more like Jules Vern and Mark Twain kicking back on a steamboat. Was a little "WTF"?

2. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

.SentinelPrime Is Dead. Banned

hm. my post was just deleted... Weird. Anyways. Overall I liked the issue, but somthing didnt sit well with me. I think it may of been how bumblebee was able to get his new alt-mode without the help of an outside source. Other then that, I really enjoyed the issue.

3. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

Re: the way John Henry's addressed, the others are in awe of his abilities, which very likely net the company (the group of workers) a nice few contracts -- and which is also why, as a black guy at the time, he has a lot of respect and rather servile deference from the working men.

Weird psychology thing: the issue feels longer without a letters page.

Also, getting to the Stormbringer preview -- the text seems bloody large, doesn't it? And it is -- comparing with the same preview pages from the back of Infiltration #5, it's wider type and some of the text actually rewraps.

Page breakdown seems fine (11 of Transformers focus, 11 of human focus) and the history's sharp enough. Characters are set up to be easy to engage with, without needing much background TF knowledge. The tinted colours -- I think -- reflect the plot: when Bumblebee observes the railroad laying team, they're working through twilight to finish off the fifth mile.

What's up with Bumblebee's instant reconfiguration? If they can do that -- and on very little energy -- transforming becomes more magic/morphing than mechanical.

Liked the rhythm of the dialogue, Twain with the drink, Henry's "somethin' to take our jobs", the realities of the period of history -- which is also why I hate historical fiction as a rule, so a light touch that skirts around the detail of the suffering is welcome.

Would've preferred Bumblebee on the front cover (I got the sketch one) to be gold and shaded like the train is on the back. Yellow/grey seems a bit flat without highlights, as John Rauch has at times made clear.

Now... question is how much (and what kind of) story can be packed into another three issues. Without some jumps in the timeframe, the arc will extend to a small local plot of Shockwave's being foiled and the TFs going back into hibernation.

But I think I'm in... it's likeable and standalone.

4. SubotaiBaghatur

SubotaiBaghatur Borys of Ebe

Enjoyed it, but the coloring was a little too dark. The intro was very cool, I liked that a lot.

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

News Credits:
    Finally got it today and enjoyed it. I liked how all the bots are behind the bushes watching the humans. Like a bunch of little kids wondering what is going on.

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    its...okay. dialogue felt weird in places (no, i'm not talking about the period's vernacular) but man, the coloring is hella depressing.

i like my TFs bright and shiny :( 

so what, TFs preceded humans on anciet earth? WTF?

7. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

I'm a little frustrated by this. Not every part of the US is 1960's Alabama. After the Civil War the North went on to the industrial revolution. The South, which was devastated by the war, became a cauldren of resentment. And the West was, well open.

Many blacks didn't just stay in the south. Many moved to the rust belt to take factory work. Some went to NY for intelectual pursuits (study the history of Harlem from the 1860's to 1950's)

Many people in the west didn't care what color your skin was as long as you could work (alright, it's more fair to say everyone ganged up on the Mexicans and the Indians)

Upper class WAS more discriminatory than it is today, but it was a much SMALLER field of intelectuals, politicians and celeberties. You probably couldn't fill the Astrodome with the top 10% of wealthy Americans circa 1886 and they most likely knew each other personally.

As for a couple of working stiffs talking shop after hours, how far fetched IS this? I work with blacks, pols, irish, latinos, italians, germans, africans, asians and females of all of the above every day.

Perhaps people should stop looking for the clouds in the silver linings.

8. Knightsword

Knightsword Fire in the North

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    They were just following suite with R.I.D., Armada, Energon, and Cybertron

9. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

I stand corrected by the top part of your post. However, you can't use examples from your life today as evidence for something that takes place 150 years ago. Your multi-ethnic workplace shouldn't be used as an example to justify an idea about workplaces in the Industrial Revolution.

10. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

No no.. My foreign friend. you dont use, "hella" for bad things. "Hella" is reserved for things such as, "Wow that whip (automobile) is hella (VERY cool) dope (add dope to the sentence so it makes sense), but on a whole "hella" is reserved for good things. Um... for bad things you wanna use a word like. "the coloring is stOOpid Depressing. " I hope that helps. Keep trying. You'll eventually get it. Repetition is key.

11. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    so much for my minor in ebonics.

that said you're not supposed to use dope and hella together as it'd be a double affirmative; rather you should say 'that whip is hella tight'.

aight?

12. .SentinelPrime Is Dead.

no no. Hella dope DOES go togethor. using hella tight should be used in instances of extreme pleasure. Almost, but no cigar. Keep it up. you almost have it.
    lol at your "aight"

13. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    Hella bad works too. It's like overstating something, "yo this shit was hella bad; midgets ruin everything".

erm, anyway, I was wondering is Evolutions going to be the ongoing, like 1, 2, 3...25, etc or will each mini series adjust it's numbering and just carry the "Evolutions" banner, like Marvel Knights?

14. Pidgeot018

Pidgeot018 Pokécon

I thought it was neat. I liked the old time-y dialogue of the humans, though I have no idea how accurate it is or not.

..But in a universe with giant space robots it's not that a big deal.

I guessing that it's still the same G1 Ark/Nemesis crew we all know and love, plus Shockwave. So then who were the guys fighting on the opening page. I'm sure I can dig around the preview posts and find the answer, but I'll ask anyway. I'll go with Hound/Thrust.

15. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    Dug the hell out of it. Loved the 'period' colouring, thought Guido knoecked the art right out of the park and the story was tight and concise. easily, IMO the best TF issue released so far by IDW, beating out BW.

Bring on Stormbringer!

16. Nitroquake

Nitroquake Well-Known Member

So far it's looking good I guess it's safe to say that Shockwave alt form was a Cyclops :lol 

btw Who is Tobias Muldoon I did a :google  and just Hearts of Steel came up.

17. Infosaur

Infosaur Ancient Cybertronian

Well maybe because my workplace is very similar to John Henry's (construction trades)

18. artiepants

artiepants Transformers '84!!!

News Credits:
    I'm unsure, but was assuming he's a created character ~ don't know if he's based on anyone....

~a

19. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Now -this- is what I've been waiting for...excellent start, and a marvelous premise.

I was totally not expecting the Dino-G1 flashback! I really geeked at that. :D 

Shockwave looks incredible, too. I can't wait to see how the story pans out.

Funny subtext story: At my shop, someone went all "omg, bumbleTRAIN? he's a volkswagon, g1 g1 g1" and I sort of immediately went "yeah, I LOVE the idea behind the story, it should've been tapped ages ago" all smiles and calm. Totally pwned him. I'm like the king of the comic shop now.

20. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

*bows to Vangelus*