TF Evolutions: Hearts Of Steel #1

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Outtsyder, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Outtsyder

Outtsyder Well-Known Member

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I thought it was great. Unfortunately it smacks of League of Extrodinary Gentlemen but it didn't stop me from enjoying it, at all.

3. Lord Shockwave

Lord Shockwave Well-Known Member

Got it. Read it. Liked it.

Don't know why. But I liked it.

Actually, I think I do know. It's because it really took me back to the days of the Marvel run and the cartoon. At the same time, it's just different enough to avoid the "been there, done that" feeling.

It's seems to be a story that doesn't take itself too seriously, and thats the way you have to approach it.

It's a fun read, and even the pencilling by Guido is reminiscent of an episode from the cartoon.

Overall I give it a "B+", along the same lines of enjoyment as Infiltration's first two issues.

4. wolfnfox

wolfnfox Well-Known Member

It really does show a step-up in the artwork department compared to when IDW first started. Overall it was enjoyable though It felt a little quick going through.

Slight Spoiler

I did liked how they used beast modes from actual Transformers toys for there alt forms at the beginning, nice touch.

End Spoiler.

5. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    It was a pretty fun read and I loved Guidi's art. Though, I do have some minor issues with the coloring---some of the panels were IMO dark and obscured Guidi's lineart, but I guess that doesn't detract me from enjoying the book on a whole.

And if you look at Prime's pre-Industrial mode, it looks like a nice nod to Big Convoy's beast mode.:) 

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i am looking fwd to this simply because guido is drawing it. he is awsum.

7. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Got it and liked it.

8. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I'm going to thoroughly enjoy this series, as the steampunk genre is one of my absolute favorites. Hearts of Steel may wind up ultimately sucking, but at least I'm going to enjoy the artwork.

9. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

I think its shaping up to be one of the better TF mini's. The only complaint, and it a very minor one, is that with so few issues half of the story is over just with introducing the characters.

10. JoshBot

JoshBot Well-Known Member

Nice artwork, meh story.

11. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    I really liked the tone of this story, especially the dialogue. It was very much like a novel written in the late 1800s in its tone, even when it came to the Transformers' backstory (at least so far).

12. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

It has Optimus Prime as Big Convoy and a Mark Twain cameo. THose arej ust the coolest details ever.
    I noticed one thing that bugged me, though. The fact that everybody seems to look to John Henry as the BMOR (Big Man On Rails). He looks black, and this is set in the late 1800s. He would have been a second class citizen, just barely above slavery during that time period. People wouldn't be askign his advice on strange shapes they saw outside the window.

13. Denyer

Denyer Shooty Dog Thing

The film? Or did you really not like Moore's series?

I'm a bit more curious to see the first issue I ordered after reading some of the comments and some of Chuck's DC work on Batgirl / BoP.

14. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Loved it. A little let down by the art, but love the story/idea. Can't wait for more of this.

15. Ogami Daigoro

Ogami Daigoro Blue Lantern Bearer

I liked it. Probably enough to get the whole run. I've always liked "What If...?"-type stories, and this fits that mold rather nicely. Can't wait to see some more action, though.

16. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Mind you, those are Irish immigrants working on the rails with him. At the time this story takes place in US history, they're equally as second class as John Henry, and they know it.

17. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    And we must'nt forget those opium-smoking Chinese coolies from Southern China working on the Pacific side of the railroad.;) 

But bleh, whatever, since this is a TF comic book and not a historical drama/documentary, I would expect inconsisties/inaccuracies in one shape or another. With that said, such a mistake is not going to majorly affect me from still enjoying the series.

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

I love Moores LoEG, not seen the film.

It just feels a little like it, with the "cameos" and stuff. It's not a terribly bad thing, just... I dunno. It's the only thing that disappointed me in the issue. Not even really disappointed, just... I dunno.

19. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I read it and I thought it was pretty damn good. I think seeing John Henry in there is pretty cool too. So how many issues is H.O.S. going to be?

20. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    maybe you feel like that kind of thing feels forced and distract from the focus on the TFs?